It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Core Values: What are they???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ee6f9e286836.jpg[/atsimg]

With all of the political division in this country, especially in the past ten years or so, I thought that maybe a thread about what we hold as core American Values would help to unite us for a change. Not Conservative Values, not Liberal Values... AMERICAN CORE VALUES! Here's a start on what the flag and anthem above mean to me:

Honesty
Rule of Law
Freedom
Liberty
Justice
Doing the right thing even when it's the hard thing to do

OK, your turn...

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I like the idea, but I don't think you're going to get a consensus. Simply because those words mean different things to different people. Nevertheless, here's what America means to me:

1. Freedom.....to choose my own destiny and be responsible for my actions only

2. Equality....to not be forced into submission based on my gender, race, sexual preference, religion, or educational level

3. Resposibility.... to help those less fortunant than myself

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Nationalism
McCarthy'ism
Capitalism
Judeo-Christianity
Liberty
Democracy
Fiscal Conservatism

Oh and I almost forgot...

Imperialism
War
Torture
No respect for international or national laws.

[edit on 8-2-2010 by Misoir]

[edit on 8-2-2010 by Misoir]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
All people are created equal. That all people have been endowed with certain unalienable rights. That among these rights are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by polychronopolis
All people are created equal. That all people have been endowed with certain unalienable rights. That among these rights are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

This is by far the best answer. America was founded on the idea that people come in all forms of shapes, sizes, and beliefs. Regardless of that, we are all, in our very essence, the same sort of thing. Our differant blends of stuff is what makes us strong. If you want to be a honorable person or not, either way is valid here. If you want to be Christian or not, same differance. If you want to lie, cheat, steal; you have the ability to do that here and, in some cases, get away with it legally.

In the end, American core values are that everyone has the right to self-determination.

[edit on 2-8-2010 by rogerstigers]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

Except Native Americans, the US has never felt we were equal or had/have a right to self-determination.

Before you go patting yourself on the back for your good "core values", you might think about how they've played out in reality.

From my point of view the core values seem to be:

Every man for himself.

Screw you, I got mine.

It's different if I change the name and paint job.

My way or the highway.

Caveat emptor.

edit to add the most fundamental:

Might makes right.

[edit on 8-2-2010 by apacheman]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Great question Jaxxon. I'm hopeful that the tea party movement will grow outside the bounds of dissaffected Republicans.
I think first and foremost must be the reinstitution of the rule of law. Of course everyday people such as ourselves live under it yet there remains a glass ceiling where those above, either because of position or money are NOT held accountable. I'm not sure where or how that started but if we can't all live under the rule of law then it is a farce. Congress, the bankers and the lobbyist need to be brought to heel somehow.

I'm also heartened to hear the Tea Partiers talk about the Constitutional law and how important that is. We have a president who is supposedly a Constitutional lawyer yet he seems to ignore it at will. That is my greatest criticism of Obama.

International neutrality: Long ago we had a policy of nonintervention in the affairs of other nations. We must return to that ideal and take care of Americans at home first before we go throwing money at other countries.

Police state: This has to change too. Our present state of security mania will fade hopefully and we get these goons with automatic weapons out of the airports and courthouse steps. It's an absolute waste of taxpayer dollars and doesn;t exactly jive with "let freedom ring" does it?

True equality; Given a capitalist system there will always be some degree of inequality but certainly we can get rid of any legislation that gives special advantage because of race, gender or sexual preference. Sorry affirmative action - time to go!

Those are my biggest gripes, thanks for giving me a chance to express myself on these issues. I really can';t think of anything more important than what you are asking.

We need real hope with real change, right now before we crash this ship of state with perpetual indebtedness.

just thought I would add that I am NOT a Tea party advocate, I belong to neither party and usually vote libertarian or independant. The 2-party system needs to be broken up as well so the people can once again have a voice in their own governance.

[edit on 8-2-2010 by Asktheanimals]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Wait...are we talking about the ideals, or the reality?

The ideals are great...love em, who wouldn't.

but the reality of what our core values are, are very different and somewhat dark.
Not everything is dark...we for instance still contribute tons of money to aid, but often we are simply supplying the band aid to help heal the wound that we caused to begin with...not that the band aid isn't appreciated, but...well, you get it.

Ideals are always wonderful...search out any nation, any governments ideals and read up on them...they all sound wonderful..but we also know reality can be very different in practice.

Beware of any politician whom promises ideals while ignoring the reality.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Great topic Jaxon. Unfortunately people's pretentions are already showing and they are missing the topic.

American Values to me are freedom and maintaining freedom through education and awareness.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Don't kill, don't steal, act descent, be willing to die for your basic freedom, and always be thinking how to progress humanity. That's what America was founded on. That's what America was truly founded on, that and cheap labor, alcohol, and tabaco.

ssssiiipppp

/me puffs cigarette I bought with the $400 Obama bonus I got in my tax refund.

[edit on 8-2-2010 by Lophe]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Apacheman, I couldn't agree more. To wit, SaturnFX has the point down pretty good. There is a set of ideal values. I think what I was discussing covers that pretty well. Then there is the set of apparent values -- the facts on the ground. I think you covered that to a "T".

Maybe that's what is missing from this conversation. A bit of context. Is this is meant to be a discussion of ideals for moving forward in today's political landscape, or a discussion of the apparent values as played out on the ground, which truely have not changed much since my forefathers started treading on apacheman's forefathers.

And this isn't an American phenomenon, really. Look back at what the Romans did in the British Isles when fighting the Goths. They had no intention of sharing the land. They viewed the Goths as barbaric savages that should be destroyed. The British did the same the people of Persia and India.

It's endimic in the way empires operate. That's not to say it is reflective of the values of the poeple who are being represented by these empires, but I have often found that good leaders never seek leadership and anyone who seeks to be in charge usually shouldn't be.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Protostellar

Protostellar...glad I'm not alone. I was beginning to think that I was crazy.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
your oil is my oil !

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
reply to post by rogerstigers

Except Native Americans, the US has never felt we were equal or had/have a right to self-determination.

Before you go patting yourself on the back for your good "core values", you might think about how they've played out in reality.

From my point of view the core values seem to be:

Every man for himself.

Screw you, I got mine.

It's different if I change the name and paint job.

My way or the highway.

Caveat emptor.

edit to add the most fundamental:

Might makes right.

[edit on 8-2-2010 by apacheman]

you forgot the Golden Rule: He with the most gold, rules.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
After watching the rise of the corporatocracy, I would say that all of America's values can now be summed up in one phrase.

Everything is for sale.

new topics

top topics

join