It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: US Says Soldier in POW Lynch's Unit was Executed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
After more than a year of waiting, the family of Sgt. Donald Walters has finally learned the truth about what happened to their son. The Oregon National Guard has released details claiming that Sgt. Walters was not killed during an ambush?the same one in which Jessica Lynch was captured?but rather he was captured by Iraqi fighters, then executed.

Sgt. Walters was apparently held separately from his fellow captives, and then shot twice in the back. Investigators confirmed the account of his death given by an Iraqi ambulance driver who was present at the time of his death, by matching his DNA to blood spatters on the wall. Investigators say they are treating this as a war crime, and have several suspects?most of them Fedayeen rebels.

According to reports, some of the actions attributed to Lynch, such as fighting until running out of ammunition, were actually the actions of Sgt. Walters.

Fox News Story

Walters "was held separately from his fellow soldiers and killed while in custody," according to a National Guard news release.

"He was executed ? shot twice in the back," Guard spokesman Maj. Arnold Strong said in a telephone interview Thursday. "An Iraqi ambulance driver witnessed six Fedayeen rebels standing outside a building guarding him while he was still alive. That same witness evacuated his dead body to a hospital."

It was several hours between the time he was seen being led into the building and his body was brought out, the Guard said.

Investigators, Strong said, "have a pool of suspects," presumed to be members of the Fedayeen paramilitary force who captured Walters. Lynch and others were taken captive by different Iraqi forces. Lynch was rescued from an Iraqi hospital April 1, 2003, while seven others captured in the ambush were freed 12 days later.

Defense investigators confirmed the account by matching Walters' DNA to blood splatter on the wall where he was executed, Strong said. He died from two gunshot wounds to the back, fired from more than 20 feet away, according to Strong's account of the investigation findings.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Other Sources
Guardian UK
CNews
KOIN News

This is good timing for the family as Memorial Day approaches. They will at least be able to honor their son as he deserves. It is strange that Jessica Lynch said so many times that she never fired a shot, yet was so often attributed with the valorous defense of her fellow soldiers. And, for those who are keeping score, this execution took place before the Abu Ghraib scandal. What is the excuse this time?

[Edited on 28-5-2004 by Banshee]

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Well for starters:

[sarcasm]
There shall be no outrage because the US is expected to be held to a higher standard. Outrage only occurs if some other combatant is on the receiving end

He deserved it because the US is an occupying force

The people who did this are not murderers, or terrorists. They are freedom fighters

It never happened as reported. It was actually staged by the CIA to bolster support for GWB in the polls
[/sarcasm]

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Not at all impressed with the performance or stance of the parents of the dead soldier when they were interviewed, willingly lowering themselves to the lower echelons of political pawns. That's politics, runs thicker than blood for the deluded.

Judgment by media presentation is for the turkeys. It's better to see the quality of any investigation and it is a shame that Fox is the source.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   
MA, I understand what you mean about both the political debasement, and the source. That, though, is why I provided three other sources. Google, by the way, will net you dozens more if you'd care to look.

You are right about judgement by media presentation though. Just look at the "wedding party" debacle and how it has shaped up since its first reporting. I always say that the news usually gets something major wrong in any breaking news story. Usually there is a follow up in a few days with the actual events. But, it is never anywhere near as spectacular.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Forgive me for one element: I did not see your other citations. Watching 10-15 minutes at a time of Fox (all that a non-sycophant of the current administration can stomach) has blinded me temporarily from seeing the links to more legitimate presentations when Fox is mentioned.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   
HA! Understood, and you are most assuredly forgiven. What I can tell you is that every link I found (and there were tons, just didn't feel like cutting and pasting forever) told the story pretty much exactly the same. So, for all of FOX's foibles, they may have gotten this one right.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Shot twice in the back, once in the leg, and stabbed three times in the abdomen with a bayonet.

And you want to make this a media issue.
:shk:

And we should care if you are "impressed" by the parents.

Watching 10-15 minutes at a time of Fox (all that a non-sycophant of the current administration can stomach) has blinded me temporarily from seeing the links to more legitimate presentations when Fox is mentioned.

Doesn't stop you from watching them, now does it?

I suppose the only valid response from a parent would be that of a Michael Berg, in your eyes.

Add this to my list above (no sarcasm needed here):
Stick your head up your arse and blame the media

Take the focus off the murderers because you sympathize with them and hate the US

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Shocking. Tragic. I mean the responses. When something as horrifc as this happens, people don't question why it all happened, why we are there, but to justify the equally barbaric actions of a few of our servicemen and women.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   
It's Memorial Day weekend...I think we can be a little more reverent toward our Veterans and our GI's presently serving.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 12:27 AM
link   
He lived not far from KayEm and me. It was on the local news and in the papers. I didn't know him, but it hits home somewhat when you realise that I could have passed him on the street.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 04:46 AM
link   
The soldier died over a year ago.

How and when the results of the investigation into the death have been presented is a media issue, loaded with politics. How the parents have become involved is a media issue. What remains unsaid about the continuing investigation is a media issue.

[Edited on 29-5-2004 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
Shocking. Tragic. I mean the responses. When something as horrifc as this happens, people don't question why it all happened, why we are there, but to justify the equally barbaric actions of a few of our servicemen and women.

You must be reading a different thread than I am. I don't see anyone trying to justify the "equally barbaric actions of a few of our servicemen and women". Rather, I see attempts to minimize this barbaric murder and make it a media issue, as well as showing total disrepect for the family of the man. Now, with your response, I see further attempts to bury the murder under the pile of political rhetoric - just another opportunity for you to spew your yellow-bellied hate-America bile. For you to compare being shot twice in the back and stabbed three times in the abdomen as the equal of what happened at Abu Ghraib is disgusting and cowardly. You and your ilk will do anything, say anything, rather than admit that these murderers are just down and outright guilty. Apologist.

top topics

join