It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ID cards to be rolled out in London

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Well... here we go... ID cards being rolled out in London...

When I read the following I laughed out loud... What idiot would want to trial this at a personal cost of £30?!?!

All 16 to 24-year-olds in the city will be invited to carry a voluntary card, which will cost them £30

And then I see this...

A voluntary scheme for British citizens was introduced in Greater Manchester in November - so far 3,500 have signed up.

I just can’t believe people... Sad little drones, what is wrong with these people?

Do they honestly believe that ID cards will make them safer???

The whole thing is a complete con in my opinion!

My first point is that ID cards will not stop home grown terrorists... they would not have prevented the July 7th bombings or the attempts at Glasgow airport...

My second point is... They will not help prevent or fight crime... Most criminals are already passport holders and have driving license's but they still commit crime. What makes our Government believe that an extra bit of plastic in your pocket will prevent you from committing a crime??

My opinion is that this is more to do with controlling/monitoring the masses then protecting them...

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
and heres me thinking they said it had been scrapped..

they also want to bring in a europe wide health card system...im guessing it will all be on one thing..ID..health...insurance...job status..etc...

horrible..all for the reason of making things easier....THINGS SHOULD NOT BE EASY FOR THE STATE!!!!....thats the whole point..it should be hard for them to find out where i am...what i do etc...where on earth did this idea come from that it should be easy for the state to know things about the population?

boy people have been so braiwashed they actually believe this will make things more efficient and thus save money...and that THAT is something worth striving for..it wont...well..it may do..but that wont mean the people have more money...someone else will benefit from the cost saving...

[edit on 8-2-2010 by alienesque]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
The only people who probably get them are those that look too young to get served in a pub, but are infact 18 or over. This is the only benefit of having such a card otherwise cant see there being much of a take up.

enforcing the card is another question, its just another spanner for the government to hit you on the head with. We dont do ID's in this country.

[edit on 8-2-2010 by woodwardjnr]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
They will never give up this until everyone has one of these cards.. I'm guessing it won't be long until corporates say you can't get this that or the other without one of the ID cards to prove who you are.

Utterly disgusted at the way the keep pushing this on us...

Edit my Freudian slip

[edit on 8/2/10 by thoughtsfull]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
We've had these in Manchester for a bit now. I don't know ANYONE who has bothered getting one - too much hassle.
A friend of mine was going to get one, as it ca be used to travel round Europe - however, you have to get a passport before an ID card, passport costing £80. Ridiculous!

I do also remember the BBC interviewing students about these ID cards in front of the university I go to - and it looked like 8/10 people wanted one.
Unbelievable. Where did they find those people?
Screams of being set up IMO.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Heres what the sheeple will say, "I don't care, I have nothing to to hide" silly silly double thinkers, when will they learn - Answer: Never.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Hey Muckster,

I wonder, are these voluntary ID's chipped? If not they may be just warming the public up to the idea. Later once they've caught on we'll probably see a new and improved chipped version for added "security" or what not. I think you're probably right, and the young leading innovator's will most likely eat it up. Something like this will soon probably replace passports altogether.

"Resistance is futile" (in my best borg impression)

[edit on 8-2-2010 by sparrowstail]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I don't see the problem myself. I'm a British expat living in Amsterdam and have an ID card. When I lived in South Africa I had an ID book. What's the big deal? What are your reasons for not wanting to have one?

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by RMFX1
I don't see the problem myself. I'm a British expat living in Amsterdam and have an ID card. When I lived in South Africa I had an ID book. What's the big deal? What are your reasons for not wanting to have one? [/quote

Like I said it's another spanner for the government to bang you over the head with. Anybody doing anything slightly unusual will be asked to show an ID, That's not how it works. Britain hasn't needed ID cards before, why now? Give me a good reason why we need them now, rather than at any other time in our past.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

I don't see the problem myself. I'm a British expat living in Amsterdam and have an ID card. When I lived in South Africa I had an ID book. What's the big deal? What are your reasons for not wanting to have one? [/quote

Like I said it's another spanner for the government to bang you over the head with. Anybody doing anything slightly unusual will be asked to show an ID, That's not how it works. Britain hasn't needed ID cards before, why now? Give me a good reason why we need them now, rather than at any other time in our past.

Well I don't see why it SHOULDN'T work like that. There are plenty of illegal immigrants/criminals out there who would no longer be able to give false names and addresses wasting police time and resources for one thing.

I have no problems with presenting my ID to anyone of authority because as someone said above, I have nothing to hide. It's hardly a spanner to hit you over the head with. Here in Holland it is mandatory to have identification with you at all times and it has had no impact on my life what-so-ever. It's a big fuss over nothing.

EDIT: No idea why the quote isn't working properly.

[edit on 8-2-2010 by RMFX1]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

I don't see the problem myself. I'm a British expat living in Amsterdam and have an ID card. When I lived in South Africa I had an ID book. What's the big deal? What are your reasons for not wanting to have one?

Your on ATS a conspiracy site that lists facts after facts about how the elites are slowly eroding our liberties, jeesh! what are you doing here? seriously.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by franspeakfree

Your on ATS a conspiracy site that lists facts after facts about how the elites are slowly eroding our liberties, jeesh! what are you doing here? seriously.

I'm not welcome here because I don't see the fuss over ID cards? How is having an ID card eroding your liberty?

Get a grip.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by RMFX1

My problem is exactly what i said in the OP... The card is based on a lie...

The ID card will not stop, or even help prevent, Terror and crime. So basically they will charge us for something that doesn’t do the job they claim it is designed for.

This card is simply a way for the Government to squeeze more money out of us while keeping track of the law abiding masses.

A recent poll showed that most British people were against it... Whatever happened to democracy???

[edit on 8-2-2010 by Muckster]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by sparrowstail

If not they may be just warming the public up to the idea. Later once they've caught on we'll probably see a new and improved chipped version for added "security" or what not.

I dont think it will be long before we see the new and improved chipped human

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   

I'm not welcome here because I don't see the fuss over ID cards? How is having an ID card eroding your liberty?

Get a grip.

You just don't get it do you, it starts off with an id card, then it musters in to an RFID, your id is who you are, not to go in to some database held by the elites, mark my words tracking RFID are coming, do you think I am delusional?

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   

What idiot would want to trial this at a personal cost of £30?!?!

The 16-24 year olds who want to buy a beer, a pack of smokes and go the pub.

It's voluntary, and probably always will be because they do not have to force people to get them, most will just follow the herd, the key for the government is to get a herd in the first place and what better population then the young?

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Why won't they encourage all the worlds problems into one place and then issue ID Cards as an excuse to keep watch on us?

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

They won't make you safer, but they make it a lot easier to travel within Europe without risking losing your expensive passport, and a lot easier to prove your age should you look young and wish to drink.

Here in Germany loads of folks have ID cards exactly like these, and they are fantastically useful. No one cares about being "safer", they just care about how easy they are in demonstrating your age (should you want to), or to hop across a border without wanting to take your passport.

I don't know why people are being so paranoid about this. The government doesn't need a card like this to track anyone.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Merigold

Yeah true... but I’m sure that there is already forms of ID that 16 - 24 years olds can carry (passport, driving licence, birth cert etc...) Plus there is also schemes like this...

www.pass-scheme.org.uk...

This is purely for young people... once you get past 25yo 99% of the population wouldn’t need it!!

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Get a grip.

do you think I am delusional?

I think that you're getting carried away with yourself.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join