It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disinformation Tactics: The Methods Used To Keep You In The Dark

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Well, its a funny business, constantly watching MSM getting exposed with their pants down around their ankles. in the article Disinformation Tactics: The Methods Used To Keep You In The Dark, ABC News is duped into reporting an Osama bin Laden recording addressing President Obama, once again stating "anonymous sources" and "experts", and ultimately reporting that the news being reported, even though unsubstantiated by identifiable evidence backed by tangible names, was a solid fact - and worthy enough to report to the public.

Later, the White House announces that it could not substantiate whether the video was authentic or not, while Reuters follows suit and reports the same.

I know that many folks post breaking news links with links to questionable sources and produce their articles as factual. I've even been duped on serious news items that perported to come from a legitimate source that known reputable sources refuted... lol, one was an April fools joke published online that represented itself as breaking news, revealing printed currency that will soon be issued to America through it's new charter under the North American Union, then links to a website that gives you an "April fools" message...

I guess the moral of this story is, know that your source is legitimate first before posting, aswell as when you read items supposedly supported by credible sources, or even unidentified sources - take the information with a grain of salt and deny it as fact until you personally have done the online research into the matter.

I feel so .... used!

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Hey throw in a couple more things like coerced assumptions and possibility over probability and you got yerself a full bowl of chowdaa!

Now if you could only tell the Pak alert people that 'Jews' dont control the worlds media and orchestrate 9/11 but people who call themselves jews just to deflect blame (and it works), then maybe it wouldnt be ironic about them telling how not to spread disinformation... or well I suppose that is just misinformation.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Sounds like some of the posters on here

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Disinformation is ultimately the art of getting a person to pay attention to things that aren't important. As long as they are focused on unimportant topics or stories they aren't focused on the important ones.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
The MSM dont seem to substansiate anything anymore! They get hold of a story (say from government) run the article and then find out it was all ballderdash. By this time of course the story is out and people believe it thereby suckering all of the most gullable people. If there is ever a retraction of the story the gullable people dont seem to mind, they will still believe the original.

This is how i think not all of the MSM is corrupt, just thick and easy for the government to dupe. There is of course the other side of the coin where the MSM know that the story they are portraying is completley false, this is the ones the NWO have in their back pockets. The ones that dont give a s**t for their fellow people.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
The process of oversocialization may seem very obvious to us but remember that this is never publicly addressed as "brainwashing" or in any case something negative. As Democratic societies strive to let each individual achieve maximum "freedom," consensus on basic values and ideas are lost, and as a result internal fractions are created. In this case the state has to step up and regulate people so that chaos or revolutions do not break out. The concept of "freedom" is therefore very vague, but if we assume that it means being able to do what one wants and say what one thinks, this does not necessarily presuppose a state of "freedom." If the individual in a society has values and ideas that do not clash with general consensus, there is no need for an extended form of liberalism or Democracy.

When our politicians speak of "freedom," they refer to the consensus they want you to agree upon. To disagree with public consensus would be to disagree with capitalism, Democracy, liberalism, individualism and so forth, which means you'd become- a terrorist! As such, the public image of "freedom" does NOT reflect a "total freedom," but one limited within the space that our political and cultural leaders decide we must follow. In order to have individuals follow these regulations and laws, a system of silencing oppression and maintaining public ideas, must be set up for the people. Democracy does this primarily by means of mass media. All people in Democratic societies read newspapers, watch TV, talk to friends, and listen to political speeches on the radio almost every single day. This means that people consume information on a regular basis, information that of course stems from few monopolized sources that work in accordance with the public image. Thus the myth of a "free" massmedia is a lie: the government won't tell you everything, but what they would like you to hear. And you swallow, right?

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkspARCS

It needs to be mention--but probably obvious to most of us on ATS--that voice analysis technology available to anyone could easily identify a bogus recording.

Of course, our disinfo folk like it when sombody else does their work for them--but, you know, maybe it wasn't the bad guys afterall, but our own. Such is the beauty of disinformation--sowing confusion, obsuring the truth.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Below, is a post to a prior thread I posted while here on ATS today. It seems appropriate for the 'topic' at hand.

To be your own judge and follow your own internal compass is what is expected of you.

"To stand alone".
To be Sovereign is to Be who you were 'designed' to be.
Most are slaves of 'society' and are told what to think and who to be.
This Is to change. It Is changing. There is much more to do. It will be done.

True Sovereigns respect those around them. They encourage the development of their neighbor. They view their neighbor as a Brother and their neighbor most often obliges them. We often create our enemies. They were not created. One has Choice.

This is logical and apparent to myself.
It works.
It was designed to.

To be the creation you were created to be.
To acknowledge or realize your unique gifts, open them, use them, create as You were to create. If this is done, society Will benefit, by design.

To be yourself.
To be You.

This is what is expected from you.
To Be unto yourself and to do what You are to do.
.....'A's long as one's actions do not impede another or affect another 'path' , to 'recognize' one's neighbor as a brother.

A society can allow itself to be divided and conquered or collectively whole. One has indepenedent choice. All choices have their consequence. Action>reaction or Action>proaction. One has Choice.

Carry on.....waving green flag......

The truth as "I" know it.
I offer what I can.

I would prefer to walk among wise men than a sea of fools.
I would imagine a creator would prefer to see a creation be as it was created to be. An animal was not 'designed' to be in a cage. Neither was a human. This should be self-evident.

ATS folks are way ahead of the 'pack'.
I prefer this company and so do you.
It is why you are here.
You are here for answers.

Good for you.
Good for me.
'Good' day.

I have company.
Later folks.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
The more distracted you are the better. The less you know of yourself the better. The less you know about who you are and what you are capable of the better. It's not really about conspiracy, It's not really about TPTB. It's all about you.

Here is a song, after it's finished you will be right as rain.

[edit on 8-2-2010 by ViperFoxBat]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
i am in a variety of mindsets over the whole mass dis/mis information that regularly gets spewed into our minds. i however, in the interest of time will only share one for now

Mindset 1) The majority of people [in the media] are only interested in the projected value's of society [as seen on TV
] which lead them to believe that being a successful 'news presenter/reasearcher/analyst' is intrinsicly good so they dont even THINK that the information they are handling could be tainted or have an agenda.
This has lead to either one of three scenarios:-
(i) Only the Superiors, Big players or people who would 'have' to know have any knowledge of the 'slant' on news.
(ii) the incentive of money and through various unforeseen circumstances a media obsessed with fashion, irrelavent celebrity issues and the other filth they peddle has grown up because WE made it.
(iii) mass media has trained enough people to not need these 'big players' and is now a self-sufficiant system.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkspARCS

That is why I always check my topic of Breaking Article News across legitimate news sources.

I know how to spot and read through the Mainstream Media's propaganda.

Let them get caught with their pants down.

This thread reminds me of another ATS members thread.

How To Report The News

Be sure to visit schrodinger dog's thread, but if you choose not to, here's the video.

Charlie Brooker - How To Report The News

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

How To Report The News

Be sure to visit schrodinger dog's thread, but if you choose not to, here's the video.

Charlie Brooker - How To Report The News

Brilliant! Probably the funniest thing I have seen all day! I'll have to send this to everyone on my social networking websites and instant messaging programs.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Great little article you found there, S+F.

I have a few questions if anyone would oblige me, about one of the methods talked about in the article- paid posters.

What i would like to know is what we, as in members of ATS, are doing about this? It's easy to say just be wary or that its up to the individual to see through such techniques, but in my opinion that's not enough. You see I love ATS. And I love the genuine seekers of truth I see here every day. I don't want to stand idly by whilst people are actively disrupting our search for truth!

I think we are all being a bit too passive in how we are dealing with this threat to our site, our threads and our ideas. Its time to get aggressive and start hitting back.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Imagine you start a vegetable garden. As the season progresses your plants grow. One day you go out and a few plants have withered. You tear them out by the roots and yell at them "You aren't good enough for my garden, why didn't you grow like the others!". The next day, some of the same tyraid, the next and the next, until one day you go out and you find nothing but an empty plot of ground. A drop of sweat comes into your eye, you look up towards the sun, and suddenly it dawns on you, the plants couldn't take the direct sunlight and probably needed more water. You had blamed them but it wasn't the plants, they did was well as they could under the circumstances you provided. ---

This is the way propaganda tends to operate. To get people judging the small problems rather than look for the big picture as to why? Several recent posts, for example are all about someone doing something wrong, like hurting a child. The big picture is what kind of a garden are we allowing to exist? The NWO know how to push the buttons but they are not pushing them randomly. The have been pushing them for over 100 years. Promoting all manner of decay and undermining all manner of virtue. It is a long term goal not a short term effort. It is done so the frog doesn't know they are going to be boiled alive.

We fail to have the moral fiber and purity of heart to stand up for right. Many have become so degraded and so enjoy such conditions that they are incapable of even imagining what has been lost and what could be and what value is in virtue.

The media readily demonstrates it's perverse underpinnings simply because those who drive it are incapable of behaving otherwise. They expose themselves for what they are by their action and inaction alike.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
"The media readily demonstrates it's perverse underpinnings simply because those who drive it are incapable of behaving otherwise."

What do you expect? If you go to bed with a whore, you wake up with a whore. These people in the media are laughing all the way to the bank while they systematically destroy the moral fabric of humanity one person at a time. This is what happens when you allow a bunch of treasonous disreputable scum to control your media.

No story here.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
The root problem with the media is consolidation. It used to be that there were hundreds of small newspapers, TV stations, radio stations, publishers, etc. Now all print/TV/radio is controlled by a tiny handfull of giant companies, like Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. These people are in bed with the gov't., but more importantly they are big companies and they are terrified of their stock prices declining. So they won't print anything that might make the stock market go down. So you get all this happy news about how everything is getting better and better while all the while its getting worse. They might throw a bone in the direction of reality once in a while, but not really. It's all celeb/sports garbage or sunshine and rainbows and massaged statistics.

Fortunately we have the Interent, but this makes the big mainstream media hopping mad and they are working overtime to clamp down on it even as we speak.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
The curse of the double post strikes again!

[edit on 2/9/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I've been going on and reading posts on this website for over 2 years.
This post finally gave me that nudge to finally register. I am only 20 but I am QUITE aware of the elites control on the media, and their standpoint on disinfo and misinfo over the mass population. I try and awake my friends and some of them will agree. But MOST of them just sit there quietly and then reply with some biased BS that they call a response.
Thank you SO MUCH for this post and everyone else for their reply's this is a great thread
this website def gives me hope for humanity.
sorry im sort of off topic...

Much respect and positivity,
Reax

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Quick recap/summary for the less clicky-inclined:

Lie Big, Retract Quietly

Unconfirmed Or Controlled Sources As Fact

Calculated Omission

Distraction, and the Manufacture of Relevance

Dishonest Debate Tactics

top topics