It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"el diablo" Hand Sign- Superbowl Commercial

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Not sure what to make of this. This commercial was played during the superbowl, and right away I noticed the "el diablo", it creeped me out to be honest.

The commercial is advertising a new show "miami medical". At the absolute end of the promo, when it seems like the commercial is over, the CBS "all seeing eye" logo comes on the screen along with a latex gloved hand signing the el diablo or sign of the beast or 666. Though similar, this is not sign language for "I love you".

Watch the last few seconds of video.

I'm not calling giant conspiracy here, I'm just bringing it to the fore to be discussed. I think it is interesting that this is played on the most televised event in America.

[edit on 7-2-2010 by METACOMET]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Generally that hand signal means "rock on" or "metal" (as in a reference to heavy-metal music) within the younger culture of the western world. What it basically comes down to is a visual way to say "cool". Any satanic value, if there ever was any, isn't really present in today's culture for that symbol.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProjectJimmy
Generally that hand signal means "rock on" or "metal" (as in a reference to heavy-metal music) within the younger culture of the western world. What it basically comes down to is a visual way to say "cool". Any satanic value, if there ever was any, isn't really present in today's culture for that symbol.

This is absolutely correct.

Second line. Still correct though.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by METACOMET

I saw that too!

It creeped me out as well!

Thanks for posting this :-)

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
That's pretty in-your-face. If you watched the very start of the game as well one of the referees flashed the El Diablo hand sign as well when making a call, something to do with 'two' of something but come on, the El Diablo sign to signify 'two'?

How do you make a sign for two... your index finger and middle finger, right? That's what normal people do but this ref did it by sticking his index finger and pinky finger up... Hmm.

I didn't get the same commericals that you did but I did see a commerical based in a bar and a couple of dudes were flashing the El Diablo sign...

It REEEAAAAAALLLY annoys me... PLLEEEEAAAAAAASSSSSE stop rubbing it in my face you El Diablo flashing folks... I GET IT but it annoys me to no end.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Rock On. Hook Em Horns. Two. And a million other things besides "El Diablo" which wasn't ever really a sign to begin with.

Commercial --> probably Rock On.

Referee --> 2nd Down in a way that the cameras can actually see it. Two fingers side by side are probably a little more difficult for the camera to see from 1000 feet up in the balcony.

Common wannabe Emo --> El Diablo

Real Satanist --> wouldn't do it in a million years.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Emmit Smith flashed the sign when they were honoring him for the Hall of Fame

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

Watch more football games and you will notice that that is how the refs always do the signal for 2nd down.
You obviously don't watch football, so I understand why you might think it is unnatural.

Peace!

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I saw that too. It was almost missable if you weren't paying attention. It was actually the first Superbowl I have ever watched. I don't really get football...I don't even understand why it's called FOOTball! I also noticed that Jay-Z was advertising for his new album "Blue print 3" which I found kind of interesting.
Also wanted to point out that although the satan hand sign is associated with rock and roll, metal etc it really does stem from Devil worship and although kids these days take it as sign of being cool it doesn't really change the idea behind what it is or where it came from.
Our politicians have an affinity for flashing the devil horns too. Personally, I don't want my leaders to be "cool" I want them to be intelligent and compassionate. It never really made sense to me why they do that.
The pope rocks the devil horns too...

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Not only does it mean "rock on"...most people use it for the American Sign Language phrase meaning "I Love You"...religion has nothing to do with this hand sign

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
There is nothing wrong with it, it is the Texas Longhorns!!!

Too bad the sign started out as a salute to the dark side. A word could have 2-3 meanings, but since when did people stop using the first meaning?

Similar with the "V" for peace. It was never meant for peace but for victory. Than it got washed down so people thought it meant peace.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
to polychronopolis. The I love you sign is actually different. You hold the thumb out to make an L shape. The pinky and index represent a U as in l "Love You"
When making the devil horns the thumb is held in the palm of the hand, so there is no L for love

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I went to OzzFest a few years ago and I saw thousands of these hands signs. I was truly scared for my life because, lets admit, who wouldn't be scared surrounded by thousands of people flashing the el diablo sign.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mutantgenius

Yup...I understand your argument completely and you are correct, in fact, my friend.

However, I think that most people don't realize the difference between the two and really think that they're flashing the "I Love You" sign.

After all, keep in mind that we're talking about rock stars, actors, sports stars, and politicians...not exactly geniuses...LOL !!!

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by METACOMET

It isn't just on tv and at concerts . Some people now use it as a hand gesture during conversation . It has happened to me numerous times over the past 2 years . Maybe it was always there being used but I never realized it .

Also Italians use that hand signal to ward off the evil eye or a curse usually by wearing on a chain around the neck .

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by mutantgenius
Also wanted to point out that although the satan hand sign is associated with rock and roll, metal etc it really does stem from Devil worship
No, it really doesn't.

Karana Mudrā

The Karana mudrā is the mudrā which expels demons and removes obstacles such as sickness or negative thoughts. It is made by raising the index and the little finger, and folding the other fingers.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Alright you believers have me curious now. Why is that gesture referred to some of you as "El Diablo?" Spanish for the devil, could it be something to do with how rock and metal twist Christian mythology and claim "demonic" things?

I'm sure I am going to regret asking but where does that idea of satanic connection come from? It's not from the actual Church of Satan I can assure you.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
this is not my belief, but its fantastical,

the hand signal shown is hugely recognised by heavy metallers. these meatheads learnt it from the bands which they follow. now, heavy metal or black metal originated in the scandinavian states, and many of the bands were actually convicted of murder, and were open satanists' and devil worshippers, which could be where the sign originated. now on the whiter side of the collar, it is speculated that freemasons' beyond the known 33 degrees are devil worshippers, and pray to the baphomet, the dragon of the east, symbolic of lucifer, the light bringer, and the masons desire to be on par with god. masonic symbology is plastered all over the american nation, and the all seeing eye, on the dollar bill is synonomous with the society, and what is the symbol of CBS.....

peace

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Wow, it amazes me that something as harmless as this is getting attention here. It's an obvious appeal to the youth in a commercial probably dreamed up in a boardroom with guys 50+ who thought it'd be a way to reach the younger generations cause its "cool". The music played throughout the commercial was quasi-rock as well and everyone knows how rock music is directly inspired by satan, no?

For those of you that felt uneasy... Being ulta sensitive is a disease, cure yourself of the affliction as quickly as you can with long uninterrupted viewings of Family Guy and Metallica. Seriously, did a hand with 2 fingers extended make you question your god? Did it make sins seem appealing to you? Should I now keep my children away from you since the devil now has a foothold in your life?

Sorry, its early and I can't stand the sight of mangina on first awakening...

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kajajuam
the hand signal shown is hugely recognised by heavy metallers. these meatheads learnt it from the bands which they follow.
Agreed.

now, heavy metal or black metal originated in the scandinavian states, and many of the bands were actually convicted of murder, and were open satanists' and devil worshippers, which could be where the sign originated.
No, not a bit of it. Death metal started in the mid-to-late 1980s. You're right in saying they learned it from the bands that they follow, which makes since since Black Sabbath started in the late 1960s, and Ronnie James Dio is one of the first people recognized to use the sign in a musical context. (Gene Simmons of Kiss being a notable other, also predating Death Metal by more than a decade.) Dio has gone on record saying it was a sign his grandmother used to ward against the evil eye and that when he was young, he just thought it looked cool.

now on the whiter side of the collar, it is speculated that freemasons' beyond the known 33 degrees are devil worshippers,
If there were more than 33 degrees in Masonry, someone, somewhere, would be selling lapel pins with their insignia. Have you ever met a Mason of ANY level who didn't have decals covering the back of their car, pins on the jacket lapels or hats, etc? Until you find such a device, you'll never convince me there are mythical "high level Masons".

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join