It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sinatra Song Often Strikes Deadly Chord

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Sinatra Song Often Strikes Deadly Chord

www.nytimes.com

The authorities do not know exactly how many people have been killed warbling “My Way” in karaoke bars over the years in the Philippines, or how many fatal fights it has fueled. But the news media have recorded at least half a dozen victims in the past decade and includes them in a subcategory of crime dubbed the “My Way Killings.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
"Karaoke-related killings are not limited to the Philippines. In the past two years alone, a Malaysian man was fatally stabbed for hogging the microphone at a bar and a Thai man killed eight of his neighbors in a rage after they sang John Denver’s “Take Me Home, Country Roads.” Karaoke-related assaults have also occurred in the United States, including at a Seattle bar where a woman punched a man for singing Coldplay’s “Yellow” after criticizing his version. "

Is there something psychological about the song that makes people kill other people? Some people seem to think that the song makes people confident or arrogant when they sing it, and it makes people mad.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I would guess the reason for the attacks could be the constant really loud singing. The overly dramatic form of the song, as well as almost non stop yelling about himself. Trully for me is an annoying song and I love Sinatra.
Thanks for the alert it gives me a different perspective into the minds of men.
DWT

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by dntwastetime
I would guess the reason for the attacks could be the constant really loud singing. The overly dramatic form of the song, as well as almost non stop yelling about himself. Trully for me is an annoying song and I love Sinatra.
Thanks for the alert it gives me a different perspective into the minds of men.
DWT

I don't really listen to Sinatra, so I don't know what this song is like. I'll just have to take your word for it.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
It's funny to me that a song about doing things "my way" should elicit such a ferocious demand of conformity from others prepared to use violence or the threat of violence to enforce their own will with respect to how a simple song should be sung.

The universe certainly has a sick sense of humor.

[edit on 7-2-2010 by loam]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Sid's version certainly makes me want to thump someone...

[edit on 2/8/2010 by JoshNorton]

top topics

join