It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If we are born pure and innocent, at what point does evil enter?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
If we are born pure and innocent, at what point does evil enter a child or human being? Or are we born with these traits?

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
It doesn't take long! Actually, I don't think we are born pure and innocent. I think our DNA is riddled with all manner of complications, mischief, greed and the whole nine yards.

It's then left up to us to sort through it, and select and bring forth what we will be.
(IMHO).

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by hautmess

at what point does evil enter

Define 'evil' for me.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket

Define 'evil' for me.

dictionary.reference.com...

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by hautmess

Originally posted by LordBucket

Define 'evil' for me.

If you are gonna use that for a reference in a subjective thread such as this, you don't need our help...wiki away dude.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   

When you join ATS?

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
We are no more "innocent" or "evil" than any other being which must struggle for food, shelter, mating, and existence itself. Where we do differ is that our big fancy frontal lobes give us the ability to conceptualize morality, questions of good and evil, etc. This is a beneficial thing because it allwos us to work together with each other in larger communities and to help each other in long-term ways. But the biggest drawback to having a sense of morality is that it sometimes runs up against the practical needs of survival and can't be reconciled with other parts of our psyches (drive for surivival, greed, lust, etc.). So we experience a kind of inner conflict of drives: morality on one hand and other more basic urges on the other.

All higher thought processes involve abstraction. This is true of morality: you can't have morality without generalization. This is what makes it "work" in the first place. But any abstraction or generalization will only be approximate at best to the underlying reality it represents. A map can do a good job of capturing a coastline, but it can't capture the placement of every single rock, piece of driftwood, grain or sand, and so on. The same is true of morality. It can be very useful, but on some level its not going to be able to reconcile itself with every bump and wrinkle in actual experience. This lack of reconciliation is the conflict we experience as the struggle between good and evil.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
We become evil or rather influenced by evil when we know what is right, and still decide or choose to do wrong.
For instance, a small child sees a balloon and grabs for it, not realizing that if it belongs to someone else, he can't take it. As the child comes to understand possessions, individual space and respect for others and their rights of possession...and he still grabs for the balloon...then, at that point, the individual begins the struggle between right/wrong...good/bad. Unfortunately, some never learn these lessons at any age.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
When we learn of evil, we become evil.
2nd

[edit on 7/2/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Warning: One liner coming up!

That was good!!!!

One liner concluded. Thank you for reading.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
the human mind is like a book, when we realize and experience the world for what it really is we become tainted and develop immunities.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Everybody's so funny tonight!

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
It enters when they reach the age of puberty- typically around 13

That's when the major internal conflicts start.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Really not helpful at all.

1. morally wrong or bad; immoral; wicked: evil deeds; an evil life.
6. that which is evil; evil quality, intention, or conduct: to choose the lesser of two evils.

Worthless, recursive definitions.

7. the force in nature that governs and gives rise to wickedness and sin.

*shrug* If that's your answer, and it's a 'force of nature' then "we're born with it."

12. a disease, as king's evil.

...umm, ok. If evil is 'a disease' then evil enters into people with they get sick.

If you want a useful answer to your original post, you need to tell us what you mean by evil.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Evil comes about because we choose to do something in which others will percieve as evil...ITs about the choices we make nothing more nothing less

[edit on 7-2-2010 by loner007]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
You're born with only a few basic emotions. all other emotions and reactions to them are learned socially

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
It's all opinion correct?
So mine is, when you make your first conscience choice to harm and youre alright with that choice.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
To me true evil is when you wish to always do harm to others for no reason except you are sadistic and get pleasure out of it.

Going by that concept of evil, I will say that it's a combination of genes, the environment you are raised in and the kind of morals the parental figures and others in your life taught you.

A person has to develop a conscience that tells him/her it's wrong to hurt others (thus feeling guilty) instead of a mindset that feels pleasure at the pain of others.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
what a fun question.

as soon as someone claims the moral high ground, you can look at them and conclude that they are evil.

all kidding aside, evil does not exist...... so, never.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Why do I feel like we have discussed this topic before? I got caught up in this "evil" business another time I think...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join