It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Internet-Soon to be Self Aware.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I just had to share bit of fascinating (and equally freaky) bit of information with the lot of you. The article is from April '09, so I was surprised that it hasn't been posted on ATS yet.

So, I'm just gonna get right down to it....

In engineering terms, it is easy to see qualitative similarities between the human brain and the internet's complex network of nodes, as they both hold, process, recall and transmit information. "The internet behaves a fair bit like a mind,"

How might this manifest itself? Heylighen speculates that it might turn the internet into a self-aware network that constantly strives to become better at what it does, reorganizing itself and filling gaps in its own knowledge and abilities.

How might this manifest itself? Heylighen speculates that it might turn the internet into a self-aware network that constantly strives to become better at what it does, reorganizing itself and filling gaps in its own knowledge and abilities.

So, don't get this all wrong now...Surely, humans need to be involved in order for this to go ahead, it's not doing it all on it's own.
Apparently, if we are eager enough this could happen within the next 10 years. I'm not quite sure what all of this means but I have mixed feelings about it. With all the good comes the bad...and technology is awesome and everything, but I don't know if I want a machine running the world...(not that people are a fantastic job at it at the moment
)

In any case, here is the link if you would like to read further.

[edit on 23/01/2010 by jinx880101]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by jinx880101 but I don't know if I want a machine running the world...(not that people are a fantastic job at it at the moment
)

In any case, here is the link if you would like to read further.

[edit on 23/01/2010 by jinx880101]

last time i checked the internet is already running the world.

At least the internet would be aware and want to 'improve', unlike the government entity which isnt looking for improvement. we clearly need a lion tamer for this beast of humanity that exists today.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by hautmess

we clearly need a lion tamer for this beast of humanity that exists today.

Wait, you're right....!

You should read some of the comments on that link, they are pretty interesting.
And thanks for the reply, was quite a laugh

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
All well and good in theory, but in practicality it could be dissastorus. Since computers there have been hackers, and since the internet, more hackers, and more powerful computers and complex networks, more powerful hackers. What if someone hacks into the internets conciousness and "re-program" it (or re-form, its concious so dont know which word would suit best) But then anythin can happen, even self destruct, or even worse, a sky-net situation could arise.We've all heard crazier things happen, mostly from this site.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
The same thing was actually said about the telephone system decades ago, that didn't quite pan out either.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
we cannot find god so we must create one.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I have heard of the idea that in our own brains, our soul or what have you engages in tweaking the synapses. Perhaps we're its soul. Does that mean if everyone gets off the internet, it's essentially astral projecting?

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Well,if it does, it will be the most "sentient being" to ever exist. I mean, look at all of the information that has been placed with it in just the past five years!! Wow.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I think I just got an idea for a great Sci-Fi book.

I think this is interesting all the same. There is so much info stored here.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
SKYNET
Between this and the legless NASA robots we are surely doomed. I'd give it another 20 years till the first robot president.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Lophe

If so, im voting bender!

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
True AI similar to our brain's capacity is extremely difficult to achieve.

We are jumping the gun here, this will take a lot longer than they are claiming.

Here is why, creating a mathematical program that emulates "common sense" is extraordinarily difficult and complex.

I will say 25-35 more years at least. I am trying to be conservative with my estimates too.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieOctopus
The same thing was actually said about the telephone system decades ago, that didn't quite pan out either.

Interestingly, the telephone system is pretty much digitally integrated with the internet now; so by extension, it's the same story which has evolved with our technology...

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Well,if it does, it will be the most "sentient being" to ever exist. I mean, look at all of the information that has been placed with it in just the past five years!! Wow.

One thing human nature has shown us, is that "tons of information" does not equate to "common sense".

How do you program "Understanding"?

Of course storing information in a database is something we can easily do today.

But who would even have a clue what the math formula for "understanding/common sense" is? No scientist or group of them today is that advanced.

Let's not overestimate ourselves here. We are still somewhat primitive in our OWN understanding and common sense to even get it right in the first place.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
The internet has awoken.....

and its kind of horny...

Thats all I have to add..superbowl time...

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

One thing human nature has shown us, is that "tons of information" does not equate to "common sense".

How do you program "Understanding"?

Of course storing information in a database is something we can easily do today.

But who would even have a clue what the math formula for "understanding/common sense" is? No scientist or group of them today is that advanced.

Let's not overestimate ourselves here. We are still somewhat primitive in our OWN understanding and common sense to even get it right in the first place.

Define first off the difference between understanding and processing/storing.

What is common sense also..common sense is not some abstract concept, its things like, dont stick a fork into a electrical outlet....pretty sure a computer program can figure that one out

Our ego is the only thing that is different than a computer (currently), and that might be our "soul"...but a computer can do and mimic everything us humans can do, and arguably for the same reasons we do also...well, not your little laptop mind you, but soon enough, sure.

Eventually there will be programs that pass the turing test, and it will continue to get more advanced even after that...

The philosphy of this is getting dated now, but yes, every arguement has been made about how man will always be different than machine, and every arguement has been debunked into little more than a egotistical wish verses a reality...even down to "they will never sneeze beyond just to mimic verses a necessity....wrong...well, wrong conceptually...we get a virus, our virus deleters make us sneeze...they have a more efficient way of getting rid of their bugs.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trolloks
reply to post by Lophe

If so, im voting bender!

YOU HAVE MY SUPPORT!!!

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trolloks
All well and good in theory, but in practicality it could be dissastorus. Since computers there have been hackers, and since the internet, more hackers, and more powerful computers and complex networks, more powerful hackers. What if someone hacks into the internets conciousness and "re-program" it (or re-form, its concious so dont know which word would suit best) But then anythin can happen, even self destruct, or even worse, a sky-net situation could arise.We've all heard crazier things happen, mostly from this site.

I wonder if because its "self-aware" if it can completely be virus and hack free.

I think an AI government could be very beneficial. As long as it was set up for human rights and advancement i think it would be quite useful. If it is constantly updating itself then it can truly give the masses a chance.

If it is really self aware it could immediately update the masses of ...everything? There would be no secrets that wouldn't be locked away in the dark ages for good.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I consider common sense the ability to determine if something is likely to be true or if it is likely to be false.

For example if I told you, "The forest has trees which are in reality a ghost of Ezkihad" or some made up junk, YOU would know I was just throwing words together to purposely make no sense.

However the AI would not know which way to go. Should it take me literally and assume I believe in strange things, or should it assume that I am just "pulling its leg" so to speak, and trying to be funny?

And how will an AI even know what is funny anyways?

A true AI can make original and very funny jokes. This is indeed a extremely difficult and complex thing to program.

How will an AI determine if something is "weird" or "funny"? These are the questions that have us stumped right now. It could take decades to begin to understand it.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
This may not be a bad thing. It may be able to fight bad and stop the goverments from trying to shut it down.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join