It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Save a Kitten, Kill a Baby

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I tried but I could never find a reliable number for the amount donated to charities that help people, I did however find that approximately $300 million dollars a year is donated to help animals, and unfortunately there seems to be twice as many shelters for animals than there is for abused women. For abused men, forget about it.

Perhaps we prefer helping animals because we believe they have a greater need. People often think a person is free to leave their situation, while animals are physically prevented from leaving. Humans are easier to blame for their circumstances. Because we do not grant animals the same freedoms, we also do not assign them the same level of responsibility for their situation, but if you read between the lines it's really just a convenience for you and me - by assigning blame we don't really need to care.

How is this acceptable? Every town in the world has a church, and maybe some of you have been in it. Have you ever heard a word spoken about this? I don't follow Hollywood that much (I'm a man), but I do recall Susanne Summers saying one thing that made sense to me. - If you have some extra love, don't waste it on a dog.

It really kind of ticks me off, how many of you would donate to help animals before you would donate to help homeless people? I really would like to know, and why? And if you don't mind I'd really like to know what religion you are too and if that has any influence in your reasoning.

[edit on 7-2-2010 by factbeforefiction]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by factbeforefiction

“The more I understand people the more I love my dog!”

I feel for those who are in dire straits but a dog cannot use its brain to escape its situation unlike a human who does have ways and means to rectify a very bad situation.

However If a dog or cat is abused and beaten the chances are quite high in my opinion that the dog or cat will remain in that situation - notwithstanding the noble work of the animal charities.

A human being in similar situations can always contact the law, contact relevant charities and they stand a much better chance of escaping that situation because spousal abuse is deeply frowned upon. The main reason in my opinion that the abuse continues and is so rampant is mainly down to the physiological hook the abuser has over the abused.

My father was a physical abuser and my wife’s first husband was a physical abuser (yes I did show him how it feels and I do not regret it) and therefore I have some knowledge of the why and how’s of the abusing process.

Short story: the abused has the power to get out but the abuser is adept at making them believe otherwise.

An animal really has no power = I give my money to animal charities.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SmokeJaguar67

Thank you for your honesty. It's tough sometimes to speak like that but it helps me to understand.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I find this thread title very appauling and offensive.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperSlovak

I hope your joking.

Very important post. It's not always easy for a battered woman to get out of the situation, in fact it can be next to impossible for some. I'm personally more worried about staving people then starving kitties.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

In South Africa I have to say some nasty things to get to a general truth.
It was very often said that whites treated their lap-dog poodles better than their black employees.
Very often yapping dogs are seen as the first line of personal defense.
So dogs and pets were innocent stooges in a human race war.
The British not only introduced "hut tax", but also "dog tax". This distanced native peoples from their animals. In some areas, like the Bondelswarts in Namibia, the shooting of hunting dogs even led to uprisings.
The idea that blacks don't love their dogs is heartbreaking, and not true.
The reality is however also sadly that dogs are stolen for dog-fights and other evil activities.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Hmm...

I live in a big city and people panhandle on every corner... and I give them cash when I have it on me... but I've never donated to an animal shelter before. I have adopted a cat once, does that count?

Honestly though, I feel more inclined to help animals than I do humans because... I feel animals need more help than people do. If someone is in dire straits they can always ask for help... an animal can't.

I am not religious.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Kevinquisitor

Well cruelty to animals doesn't begin or end with pets.
I had my last cow/pig/chicken when I first heard of the atrocities in the factory farms.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Why do human/animal posts always create a human vs animal situation?
Not too long ago they said devorcees, or women should be ignored.
Now guys say, strange blokes, women really.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Kevinquisitor

It only counts if you don't treat the cat like garbage. Are you feeding it? Petting it? Not setting it on fire? I always give poe people my monies.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Lophe

I love my darling kitty cat.
He's my familiar.

We had a bit of a tough time with this: Lovely cats in sleeping poses - until we found out they were real stuffed cats from China!

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Hmm.

1. Welfare
  2. ChildFund
  3. Salvation Army
  4. Goodwill
  5. NAACP (albeit hypocritical)
  6. American Cancer Society
  7. Make a wish foundation

I could literally go on forever.

Lots more goes to humans than ever goes to animals.

But even if that were not true, and we did donate more to animals ... i'm all for it.

I love dogs...but pretty much despise most humans.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Wow. What you said is amazing man. I appreciate you giving me some insight to the way things work where you are.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
reply to post by Lophe

I love my darling kitty cat.
He's my familiar.

We had a bit of a tough time with this: Lovely cats in sleeping poses - until we found out they were real stuffed cats from China!

Jesus how horrible. My God I hope I never have to experience somthing like that. How horrible, real cats?

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   

They did take them off the shevles, and I haven't seen it since.
I think it gave me a semblence of a shock that Hindus must feel when they see our cow slaughter.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Animal cruelty is caused by humans
Human cruelty is caused by humans

It might have to do with how animals are more innocent than the rest of us.

If animals are bad its usual something to do with how they were treated or just train that way. ( I guess that might be the same as humans)

But how many people out there have been hurt more by humans than animals?

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   

www.metacafe.com...

The above video is GRAPHIC (not for sensitive viewers), although it's a slice of life from a non-Western market. I've never watched it all (I've seen photos and anticipate what's coming). I include it here not as propaganda, but for informative purposes.
I know cats aren't welcome everywhere, and they can cause ecological havoc. But perhaps these are issues with the cat owner?
Nevertheless, nothing is as rewarding as having a kitty as a best friend.

[edit on 7-2-2010 by halfoldman]

new topics

top topics

join