It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skin Cancer Prevention Effectively Incites Other Cancer Development

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
How? It's simple, really!

Blocking UV rays with sunscreen and/or avoiding sun exposure causes Vitamin D deficiency.

The association of Vitamin D deficiency and cancer incidence is so strong that it's estimated that over 70% of cancers can be prevented if optimum Vitamin D levels are maintained.

No life at all would be possible on this planet without the sun...To teach people to be afraid of the sun is harmful health advice that will ultimately kill more people than it saves. Most people have too little sunlight, not too much.

~ Mike Adams, natural health researcher and author.

The sun is the orchestra leader for the dance of life. Every living thing on earth vibrates to the energy of the sun, including people. For a long time people have been victims of a huge scam that made them think they were supposed to hide indoors or under a blanket of sunscreen while the rest of life basked in the glory of the sun. Now they are catching on that they too need the sun's life-giving force.
~ Barbara Minton, natural health editor.

And so, here we are...in the middle of winter, which happens to be a time when Vitamin D levels typically drop lower than normal, and we've got dermatologists suggesting that we're still not safe from the sun during these cold months and that:

....you shouldn't pack away the sunscreen.

"Some people may think that protecting the skin from the sun in the winter is not as important because they are not feeling the heat as much in the winter," said Dr. April Armstrong, a Sacramento, Calif., dermatologist and assistant professor at the University of California, Davis, School of Medicine. "Oftentimes, some people get a false sense of security from the cold temperature and conclude that they are not experiencing the harmful effect of UV [ultraviolet] rays. As a result, some people may not be as diligent putting on sunscreen during the winter."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

In fact, this doctor thinks....

People should be wearing sunscreen all year-round

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Ridiculous.

Oh yeah, and Vitamin D deficiencies are also associated with the following: Heart Disease, Hypertension, Arthritis, Chronic Pain, Depression, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Obesity, Premenstrual Syndrome, Muscular Weakness, Fibromyalgia, Crohns Disease, Multiple Sclerosis and Autoimmune Illness.

So...in an attempt to prevent skin cancer, either through sunscreen or the complete avoidance of direct sunlight exposure, we've allowed the single most important nutrient in disease prevention to take the back seat, effectively suppressing our immune systems and exposing us to other deadlier diseases.

-Dev

Sources:
www.vitamindcouncil.org...
www.vitamindcouncil.org...
www.healthday.com...
www.proteinpower.com...

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

Maybe later I could think of a more lengthy reply, but for now a thought comes to mind...

You probably are older than me, so you will recall this change of attitude in dermatologists...

As the UV-B levels are highest in 12 PM/noon, at the most vertical position possible.

Up until 10 to 20 years ago, dermatologists recommended you only get sun exposure before 10 AM and after 4 PM in order to avoid the peak 12 PM/noon UV-B levels.

But you may have noticed a change in opinion... many reversed that recommendation since then.

Now exposure at noon is promoted to get the maximum UV-B peak to convert cholesterol to the Vitamin D precursor.

[edit on 7-2-2010 by jjjtir]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

They're finally coming around, but there are still those old-school doctors that are still recommending an outdated practice. And even still....most doctors will tell you to wear sunscreen to prevent skin cancer.

This is from a link I provided above:

If you put on sunscreen that blocks UVB, then you block the production of vitamin D. Pretty much completely. Even weak sunscreens with an SPF of 8 block 95 percent of vitamin D synthesis. So greasing up with sunscreen is definitely not going to have you “swimming in vitamin D.”

In fact, if you’re not careful, you’ll end up more prone to the worst kind of skin cancer: melanoma. Why? Because a sunburn is nature’s way of telling you you’re getting too much sun. Unless you’re a moron, you get out of the sun before you get badly burned. With graduated sun exposure you develop a tan, which prevents burning because the tan blocks the UVB much like a sunscreen does. But the tan blocks UVA also. UVA is the wavelength that doesn’t really burn but does stimulate the melanocytes (the pigment producing cells), which can cause melanoma. If you slather on the sunscreen and stay out in the sun all day, you don’t get burned, but you do get a ton of UVA, which, until fairly recently, wasn’t blocked by sunscreen. Now sunscreens contain agents that block both UVB and UVA, but no one knows yet whether these will prevent melanoma in the long run.

The paradox of melanoma is that this cancer typically develops as a response to too much sun but people with chronic sun exposure incur it less frequently than those with sporadic sun exposure. This paradox can be easily explained. Those who are out in the sun a lot develop a tan. The tan blocks UVA, so there is less of the simulation for melanoma. Those who go into the sun occasionally – office workers who vacation at the beach for a week – use sunscreen and stay out too long, receiving way too much UVA. UVA that increases the risk for melanoma.

Vitamin D synthesis takes longer in the evenings and mornings for the same reason it takes longer time to sunburn in the evenings and mornings. The more atmosphere UV has to travel through, the less reaches the ground. So...morning, evening and winter (or high lattitude locations) make for the ground to receive significantly less UVB light because of the suns location on the horizon. Summer, mid-afternoon and lower lattitudes (equator) make for optimum UVB exposure.

As for my age...I doubt I'm older than you.

-Dev

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   

G'day DevoltionEvolvd

You are treading some extremely "complicated" ground, here

If I may use a little "dark" humour.....

Your "cure" is like jumping in front of an oncoming truck, to avoid getting hit by an oncoming car.

I can try to write in more detail if you like, when I have finished my hectic work "Monday".

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

Note: Edit by Maybe...maybe not to ensure my comments don't sound rude (I apologise if my comments did sound rude, DevolutionEvolvd)

[edit on 7-2-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I think I understand what you're getting at, and I'll let you reply later. But I am curious.....what "cure" are you talking about?

-Dev

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
I think I understand what you're getting at, and I'll let you reply later. But I am curious.....what "cure" are you talking about?

-Dev

G'day again DevolutionEvolvd

Sorry.....

I am rushing things & expressing myself poorly.

I shouldn't have used the word "cure" in that context.

I should have said "course of action" or something like that.

If you are curious to see a little of "where I'm coming from" here, you might be interested in a brief look at my comments in this other "oncology" oriented thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'd better start focusing on work now & then dive back into your interesting thread again tonight.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I read an article a little while back that the actual cause of skin cancer was NOT enough sun exposure. Making sure you get adequate sun daily or vitamin D supplementation is one of the most important factors to a healthy lifestyle imo

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Sourdough4life

You might remember that Heliotherapy (sun-bathing) was prescribed to the sick many years ago.

Edit to add: I should make it clear I have no doubt that overexposure to sunlight, leading to sunburn, causes cancer.

-Dev

[edit on 9-2-2010 by DevolutionEvolvd]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Yes, only get the required amount and then stop exposure. At noon and peak summer, this could mean less than 15-20 minutes.

A significant variable here additional to what latitude you live, time of day and whether any rain clouds in the sky to scatter more UV-B.

Melanin, the skin pigment-providing chemical, is a natural UV-B spectrum blocker.

Due to this, black people takes a LOT longer to produce compared to the other extreme, albinistic people with zero melanin.

This is where the politically correct stance is unavoidable.

You cannot choose your genetics, only your parents can have a little guessing estimation over it.

[edit on 9-2-2010 by jjjtir]

top topics

join