It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosion at Power Plant in Middletown, CT

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Explosion at Power Plant in Middletown, CT

www.courant.com

MIDDLETOWN - An explosion has occurred at the power plant on River Road in Middletown.

Dozens of ambulances and fire trucks raced to the scene of the explosion, and black smoke was visible for miles, witnesses said.

Details are few at this time, however, police are advising everyone to stay away from the area.

Houses shook as far away as Durham because of the explosion , witnesses said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.highsteel.com
www.cga.ct.gov

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
This is very interesting, considering it was meant to be a clean (more or less) power plant. Could it have been done by sinister means or was it a simple mistake.
Please feel free to move this to the correct section if this is not it. I searched and found nothing.
I'd like to hear comments and ideas on what happened. Of course if you're building a power plant there are bound to be mistakes, it's just strange that it happened now. Right after Obama said he would be making more power plants in America. Could there possibly be more to this story?

www.courant.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

IDDLETOWN - Witnesses and emergency response authorities said as many as 100 people were injured and an undetermined number may have died when a massive explosion, which homeowners more than 10 miles away and mistook for an earth quake, blew up a power plant being built on the Connecticut River in the southern section of Middletown.

An hour after the explosion and what is believed to be the Kleen Energy Systems plant on River Road, emergency rescue personnel were continuing to arrive by vehicle and helicopter. Helicopters were airlifting victims to area hospitals.

Neighbors of the plant said as many as 100 employees may have been working there when the explosion took place. Confirmed information about damage and injuries from authorities was difficult to obtain.

A resident of East Hampton almost directly across the river from the plant said he heard a load booming explosion at about 11 a.m. Immediately afterward his house was hit with a concussion that caused him to believe someone had driven an automobile into his home. The concussion interrupted services at a nearby East Hampton church, causing parishioners to speculate that the area had just experienced an earthquake.

Other witnesses said they felt the concussion as far away as North Branford and Durham.

A neighbor of the plant said there were quantities of natural gas on the site.

A witness looking at the destruction from across the river in Portland said the main plant building seemed to have been substantially leveled.

State police fire and explosive investigators were rushing to the scene at around noon Sunday, as well as state police urban rescue crews, which would search rubble for victims.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by DocDoyle

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Any one know what sort of power station it is (was)?

2nd - off to goggle it

Gas - oh dear, I live about a mile from one of those!

Could be anything on the information available, accident or other wise...

[edit on 7/2/2010 by Now_Then]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Heh heh ,

more proof that american infrastructure and lacks quality and thus keeps falling apart

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by sadchild01

I don't think it's about american infrastructure but rather safety checks for plants of any sort.

What are regulations for safety checks on energy plants?
Usually a guy comes over to nuclear power plants and energy plants to see if everything is all according to safety regulations.

That's where the ball was dropped

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
This is a big deal - 100's of injured people, 2 confirmed dead so far. Terrorist? Hackers? Accident?

Getting my popcorn...

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
According to this news report, there were "bodies everywhere":
Plant Explosion

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

Yeah Fox is reporting that, but CNN states only 2 confirmed so far. I don't know if Fox is just sensationalizing or not....

~Keeper

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

True that, Fox News has been known to sensationalize things, but according to them it's what a witness said, so... it's good to put that down for the record. Perhaps the witness wasn't even there, and is FOS. Still...

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I saw a Indian News report (on the Twitter live stream) that 50 were known to be killed so far (unconfirmed though.)

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
This needs to be moved to ATS.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonny2410
This needs to be moved to ATS.

It was, its now been moved here.
:bnghd:

[edit on 7-2-2010 by tarifa37]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Why in the heck was this moved to BTS??? This could be a terrorist act, or a government cover up - and before we know the answer, someone just shoves it over here?

Wow.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
They were purging the gas line and it blew up. It is a very rare occurance but does happen. I would have heard if there were any questions as to what actually happened. Just humans messing up again. They were prolly trying to finish up quickly so they could make it to the bar in time for the super-bowl.

top topics

join