It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Post here if you are old enough to remember the Summer of Love (1967)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Special bonus if you were in 'Frisco with flowers in your hair, man. Donkey beads, cymbols, and symbols.

The "meat" of this post may not be long enough to satisfy the stringent BTS quality and post-length standards, so here's some groovy whale song to grok out on as you contemplate the forgotten memores of yore:

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I was just a kid during the summer of '67, but my highlight was a family trip to Montreal to take in Expo '67.

Everything from the architecture to the displays were incredibly "hi-tech" at the time, yet are laughable by today's standards. All visitors were issued "passports" which were stamped upon entering each nation's pavillion. Mine must be kicking around somewhere, and for all I know it's a collector's item by now.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/622d2afbe298.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Hmm... In 1967 I was 11 years old going through Conservative Hell in Catholic School . Nuns would Smack you down for any mention of Free Love or the Counter Culture Movement . Dress Bell Bottom Pants were all the Rage at the time , and any kid wearing them was considered way Cool . Alot of News on TV about Viet Nam , all slanted to sound like the Chinese were about to help the Viet Cong drive us into the Sea . The Summer of Love was more of a big thing on the West Coast than it was on the East where Protests and Riots were talked about everday in the News . For me personally thought in the Summer of 67' , at 11 years old , all I cared about was Sci Fi , Girls , Sports , and dreading seeing September come when I had to go back to that Hell Hole called School .......

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Being a young teen, I didn't go to Haight Ashbury myself, but I did wear flowers in my hair. And. of course, my hair was long, and still is BTW...but the last time I put flowers in it was either in Hawaii or in a bar in Key Largo....some years ago...but it seems like yesterday...and I'm rambling ....about times that seem like yesterday.... ........ ........

Magical and maddening time. Peace and war. Love and hate. Opposites erupting together lavalike, forming new land on which to grow. Life seems to have solidified, almost a blandness, unfortunately. Commodified. Orchestrated passion, or no passion at all.

No, some green shoots are growing from that soil. Keep out the weeds, and Life can once again offer Flowers to wear....I'm rambling again, aren't I....

Great music, too....

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Oh my, 1967........

War, war, and more war was all we saw on the news.

We all got new coins in Canada because it was a 100 year anniversary of confederation.

My youngest brother was born that March.

The very first Super Bowl saw the Packers walk with a big point spread.

NASA had dreams crushed with the loss of Apollo 1 and a few months later Soyuz 1 went splat.

All in all, it really was a good time for me.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I was a kid, but I was fascinated with the older people and couldn't wait till I could be like them. I did dress like them, though.
In a few short years, I became my version of a hippie and haven't looked back.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I worked in the Canadian Air Force or what was the RCAF then.I worked at the Armed Forces display at the Pacific National Exhibition in Vancouver.I had been in The RCAF for over a year,I was 18 on temporary duty for the whole summer and life was grand.I never touched my pay for over 3 months,the Air Force payed for everything.Life was sure great then,18,summer and in Vancouver.I asked the Chief the next summer if I could go again and he just laughed and kicked me out of his office,being a young private had its problems.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I was in college in Portales, New Mexico in 67 and we did our best to be hippies with the drugs, sex and rock and roll but I was a serious student in the Anthro dept. and didn't make it to the Bay Area until 68 where I really got serious with the drugs, sex and rock and roll. It's all pretty much a blur until 73 or 74.

Here is our favorite album from 67......www.youtube.com...

we played this a lot too....

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 12-2-2010 by whaaa]

top topics

join