It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A matter of perspective.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Science uses the Astronomical Unit (AU) as the standard unit of measurement of distance in the Universe.

One AU is the "normal" distance from the Sun to the Earth which is approx 93 million miles.

Pluto is about 40 AU`s from us and the Oort Cloud which represents the end point of OUR solar system is about 50 thousand.

Any idea what 50K multiplied by 93 million is ?

Hardly worth working out, its enough to say that its a very remote and sparse LITTLE part of the Universe.

Our nearest neighbour is Proxima Centauri which is a staggering 4.3 light years away.

To reach it by fast starship would take twenty five thousand years.

Yes TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND YEARS !!

Space is absolutely enormous with the average distance between stars being twenty million million miles.

The odds of an intelligent race chancing upon us are about as rare as finding a diamond on a deserted sandy beach.

But people still tend to believe that "aliens" come enormous distance to do a little cattle mutilation in New Mexico or to have some fun frightening some poor guy in a pick up truck on a lonely road in Nevada.

Yes I know about modern day thinking on overcoming these distances via "strings" or "black holes" but its not really credible is it.

Its about as credible as Scotties Transporter on the good ship Enterprise.

Ive studied long and hard for over two decades now as much as I can about UFOs and Im steadily losing all belief in them.

Once you begin to comprehend these VAST distances its easy to realise that its almost impossible for US to ever get out of solar system never mind people from a minimum of 4.3 light years making a "day" trip to do a little trainspotting.

My beliefs in UFOs is waning fast.

I think we really need something more compelling and convincing than dodgy pics and unsubstantiated accounts of 4th encounters.

I was hoping the Disclosure Project would be ground breaking but it wasnt was it and seems to be imploding now.

I guess its getting a little like religion were great dollops of faith are needed to sustain you.

I think Im all out of faith right now.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayKew
Its about as credible as Scotties Transporter on the good ship Enterprise.

well i know this is a lil off topic but apparently they can transport matter.not much though.just one atom at a time

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Hmm.. I wouldn't leave out the possibility that there could be aliens that are non-physical. I have met creatures while I had an out-of-body experience...

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Im always willing to learn The Bandit

Have you ever posted info about your OBE`s on here ?

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Ive studied long and hard for over two decades now as much as I can about UFOs and Im steadily losing all belief in them.

yeah , me too

as soon as you wake up to the fact how easy it is to photoshop , how easy it is to get whackos to believe anything (any zetatalk regulars about?) and the increasing stories of emotion eating lizard men kinda kick you in the goolies to reality

since i first come online i have been amazed at ufo footage/pics only to have it shot to bits a few weeks later and now its dissheartening

im currently 15% believer in the fact we have been visited and about 99% that their is life in the universe apart from us.

(figures change depending on narcotic and alchohol consumption)

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Just search: OOBE and out

and from member name: TheBandit795

from the beginning and 50 results

You'll find most, if not all of my posts on OOBE.

This thread is about my last two... Didn't meet anything during those though...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[Edited on 28-5-2004 by TheBandit795]

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayKew
I was hoping the Disclosure Project would be ground breaking but it wasnt was it and seems to be imploding now.

JayKew, lets stick to the disclosure project for a bit, what do you think would push hundreds of people to come forward with testimonies like they did, knowing only ridicule awaits them?

1- To satisy some twisted pshychological need?

2- Maybe they were setup from the get-go in a bizarre psychological plot?

3- They believe in what they saw, but what they saw was actually "something-else"?

I've mentionned this before, but witness accounts by credible people, for me anyways, hold more water than any pictures.

Disclosure is just an amalgamation of thousands of other stand-alone witnesses...you all know too well.

But I agree with the general sense of your post, the state of ufology today isn't exactly a science;-)

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I see where your comin from Jay, but look at it this way/ if there is inteligent life out there they are probably ahed of us about 3billion years that would mean that they might have advanced enough to travel light years in a matter of seconds!

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Senshido,

Yes "Disclosure" people did come forward and say things as people ALWAYS seem to be coming forward to say things.

Sadly this is what ALWAYS happens, things are said but EVIDENCE is never forthcoming and thats the trouble.

I believe people actually see things and just because they cant identify or relate to what they saw they immediately classify it as extra terrestrial.

Im developing my own little theory for my own little world ?

Want to hear it ?

Well what would you think about "double disinformation".

In formation "planted" into peoples recollections of what they saw to alter it in a way that would benefit the Governments.

Supposing somebody saw a plane at a bad angle, its possible that with the right suggestion they could be made to think its an alien craft.

Why would a Government want to promote joe public into believing in aliens whilst the Governments deny or make no comment.

Why ?

Because we have a huge Black Budget to support.

As long as Joe Public can be convinced that there may be a threat from unknown species or sources then the defense budgets will continue to be nodded through and more and more siphoned off into "black" clandestine projects.

Remember, there never was a budget for the Stealth because there never was a Stealth.

Or maybe Im just rambling.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I found Greer's Disclosure book a mixed bag of witnesses. Some seem credible others less so. (I guess the more fantastic the assertion the less so... at least for me). Some of the military sightings/radar cases seem credible. But, ultimately, "where's the beef"? After sixty years since the Kenneth Arnold sighting the sightings and stories have balloned enormously (though late 19th century we had the famous "airship" sightings). Flying saucers, flying triangles, contacts, abductions, area 51, dulce site, alien autopsies, alien photos, crashed ufos all over the place, photos/videos, military people coming out with "disclosures"... and still no "smoking gun"!

Still amid all the smoke out there and confusion, I believe there must be something. It can't just all be hoaxes, delusional, lies, mistaken identities.

IMHO, we can not argue about technology as being a stumbling block to interstellar/galactic travel. Look at what giant leaps we have been making recently. We always tend to think at any given point in time that we know it all. As the old saying goes "the universe is not only stranger than we imagine, but stranger than we can imagine..."

new topics

top topics

join