It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Austrian Army Ad: "Join up and use a tank to pick up girls"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Apparently, this ad was run by the Austrian Army to try and attract some new recruits. While it has generated a some controversy, you do have to admit that it probably speaks more directly to an 18 year old male's priorities than "Be all you can be" or "We do more before breakfast than most people do all day."

The translation of the dialogue is more or less..

Audi Driver: hey Girls, wanna go for a spin in my fast ride?
Girls: ehh not sure, there's not even enough space for all of us
Soldier: wazzup girls, in the mood for a joyride?
Girls: *yaaaaay*
Soldier: join the army if you wanna drive a tank
Soldier2: jump in, starting engine
Audi Driver: hey, what about the spin?
Girl: forget it, I want to drive something big
Narrator: the Austrian Armed Forces offer unique opportunities for young people who are at least 18, everything else is just everyday life

And don't forget to note the imagery of the hand sliding down the barrel of the "big gun."

[edit on 6-2-2010 by metamagic]

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
That sure is one small gun! Do they still put 50mm guns on Tanks?

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
It's not a "tank".

It's a APC, or Armored Personnel Carrier.

Looks like a M2/M3 Bradley.
en.wikipedia.org...

There is actually a huge difference between the two.

Tanks have way more armor, no space for a platoon of soldiers, and large cannons (105mm-120mm).

The Bradley has light armor, space for a platoon, and a small 25mm gun, and its a lot cheaper.

The APC is way more vulnerable to RPGs. I would refuse to ride in one in a combat situation, sorry. You would be safer on foot lol.

[edit on 6-2-2010 by muzzleflash]

[edit on 6-2-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by metamagic

It's pretty disgusting the lengths a Government will go to get people to join the army...I'm sure there will be a lot of protest against this ad..or at least, there should be...I really can't believe they'd exploit the sexual urges of young people like that...

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Thats why you add the slat armor. Sure it's heavy as hell but it works great unless they shoot from above.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by CHA0S

It's pretty disgusting the lengths a Government will go to get people to join the army...I'm sure there will be a lot of protest against this ad..or at least, there should be...I really can't believe they'd exploit the sexual urges of young people like that...

Already has been. My German is not good enough to follow it all, but apparently it is being attacked by both the left and right.

As for exploiting the sexual urges of youth, that pretty much describes a big chunk of the entertainment industry.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Advertising is a manipulating tool - it exists to make lots of money - this ad is immoral on so many grounds.

Here is what the ad agency was faced with - recruit people to kill people.

So they reverted to the sex sells thing.

Evil.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   

if they tried something like this in the states it would be more effective then in austria. America's youth is easily brainwashed and don't mind being sheeple for the corporations.

new topics

top topics

join