It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pink Ouija Board Targeting Young Girls Riles Critics

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   

www.foxnews.com

Saturday, February 06, 2010
By Joshua Rhett Miller

Print ShareThis

This pink version of Hasbro's popular Ouija board game sells for $19.99, but some critics say the game is a dangerous "portal" to reach spirits.
A pink version of the popular Ouija board game has some critics seeing red.

The children's sleepover staple — sold by Hasbro since 1967 — now comes in hot pink, an edition released two years ago that gets tweens to call on "spirits" to spell out answers to life's pressing questions.

It's designed
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
This either seems like a bad idea...

Or...

A REALLY BAD idea!

You had better run out and get these while they last, lol. You can finally replace "Hello Kitty" with "Hello Satan" in your daughter's room!

I remember playing with one of these things (not a pink one for those of you who were wondering...) It scared the HELL out of me. It ended up under a bed with a Bible sitting on top of it (just in case that would do something positive... I had no idea WHAT to do!)

Seems like our kids are being led down some really strange roads.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I love this quote from the article:

Byrne, who writes for timetoplaymag.com, said he was unclear of the origin of the notion that Ouija players can somehow communicate with spirits or the dead.

"That is something that people have made up and it became part of our culture," he said. "It's always been entertainment. What I remember is trying to brain my younger brother with the board because he kept moving it. It's just funny that people make up this stuff."

Ummm...what? Ouija boards have been around since 1100 B.C.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Scary Stuff...

People should not be messing with this sort of thing unless they are absolutely sure they know what they are doing.

Children should stay at arm's lenght away, and there should never be one in your house.

I use to have one as a kid, and after some troubling and downright dangerous experiences, we got rid of it.

The results of my arrogance and ignorance? I still see shadows from that particular incident to this day.

This is a horrible idea.

~Keeper

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I had some really freaky experiences with my board (thus, it's permanent resting place under that bed under a bible... till I threw it into the Mississippi River).

Everyone I have ever talked to about these boards have all had really frightening experiences as well.

Has anyone else experienced this?

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Some users believe that paranormal or supernatural forces are at work in spelling out Ouija board answers. Skeptics believe that those using the board either consciously or unconsciously select what is read.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
[edit on 6-2-2010 by SuperSlovak]

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I have felt for myself as that stupid pointer moved. And that was when I was doing it ALONE!!!

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I won't go near one, ever. I have no need to test it. I saw a ghost so I know crazy stuff exists. Testing that stuff further is stupidity.

But, I can see why they are marketing it to teenage girls. They are like the biggest demographic to actually play with those things during sleepovers and other such events.

A lot of people swear on their life that these things are legit and cause crazy insane unexplained occurrences.

And a lot of people claim they tried it but it never works and people always fake it.

I won't bother testing it to find out lol.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
It just seems like a cutsey way to suck teenage girls (aren't teenage girls most susceptible to ghost activity... specificially poltergiests anyway?) into opening some kind of portal that they should be NOWHERE near!

Almost like a trick!

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I had a scary experience with a ouija board. I would rather not go into too much detail, but it was me and a friend of mine using the board. When we were done, my friend wrote the Lord's Prayer in marker all over the board and threw it out into the woods.

I have no doubt that there are spirits, demons, etc... that talk and come through the board. I do not believe that you can talk to dead people through one. If thats who they say they are, they are lying!

An even more terrifying experience was one we had with a regular deck of cards. We played a game where we would lay down the aces in order from hearts, then spades, then clubs, then diamonds and they stood for yes, no, maybe, definitely. The last question we always asked was "Are these cards telling the truth?" It was accurate, every time!

My friend asked the "spirit" we were talking to to show itself. A locked door opened, thunder crashed, and the lights went out. My friend threw down the cards and we ran from the room terrifed. When the lights came back on and we went into the room, the cards were laid out in numerical order by suit in a perfect fan shape on the bed. We never played the game again.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by moonleaf

If that is the truth I would probably burn that house down and leave town. Thats f'd up.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I think this could be a pretty interesting thread...

Almost everyone I know has had some experience with this.

One thing you may not know:

Hasbro's most profitable board game of all time? You guessed it... the Ouija Board.

Oh, and Toys R Us also has a glow in the dark one on sale too, just in case it didn't scare the crap out of you enough with the lights ON! lol

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

It happened. My friend did move out of the house later. This happened when I was a teen. I had experiences for years afterwards of seeing shadows and having just really bad feelings that would really scare me.

I do not allow my children to play with the occult. I know that there are things out there that you do not mess with.

I find the idea of marketing an occult item to young girls to be very offensive. When you are young, things like that can be very intriging and you just don't realize that there are consequences.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by moonleaf
reply to post by GreenBicMan

It happened. My friend did move out of the house later. This happened when I was a teen. I had experiences for years afterwards of seeing shadows and having just really bad feelings that would really scare me.

I do not allow my children to play with the occult. I know that there are things out there that you do not mess with.

I find the idea of marketing an occult item to young girls to be very offensive. When you are young, things like that can be very intriging and you just don't realize that there are consequences.

There has GOT to be an agenda towards marketing this so hard to youth...

Besides just profit I mean.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
oujia boards are a bad bad idea. i dont really care that some people think its all fake etc. once you've had a personal experience with the board, none of that matters. you know what the real deal is. i had one too, i got it as a birthday present for my 12th birthday. i had some very scary experiences with the board, including a spirit that wanted to kill me. it kept pointing out the word "kill" then the thing would point to me, and then to the sun at the top. i threw the board and the pointer outside into a stairwell, the pointer was not near the board, it was on the ground a couple inches away. i left it alone, and the next day when i looked, the pointer was on the board pointing at the sun. no one had access to that stairwell except for me. i havent touched one since.

and i dont believe that its all just "you" moving the pointer. i too have used the board alone and it moved itself. i was barely touching it...just following along with my fingers.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I agree with all of you that had bad experiences. I haven't had an experience with one, and I still feel they are wickedly dangerous. Won't touch one, or let my kids touch one if I can help it at all.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

You can finally replace "Hello Kitty" with "Hello Satan" in your daughter's room!
Why does spirits = Satan ?!?!?

I believe we should be trying to connect our selves with the spirit world, not trying our hardest to separate ourselves from it. That's exactly why our species have become so materialistic in the first place...we've become detached from our higher selves and our spirituality...I'll admit, Ouija Boards can be dangerous, but not always, and the chances of being harmed or being exposed to "Satanic" forces are minimal...

I say let them go for it...kids are going to do it if they want anyway, the color of the board isn't going to make much of a difference...what kind of evil spirit would want to communicate through a hot-pink board anyway?
Let them explore and learn the things they want...I sure enjoyed mucking around with my old Ouija Board when I was younger...and probably wouldn't mind using it seriously with a group of friends to see what might happen...

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Scary Stuff...

People should not be messing with this sort of thing unless they are absolutely sure they know what they are doing.

Precisely!!! I see all of these fear mongering threads about quija boards, but it boils down to one thing. If you don't know what you are doing, then leave them the hell alone!! Children certainly shouldn't mess with them.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join