It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

handmaid's tale

page: 1

join
share:
arc

posted on Feb, 28 2003 @ 08:34 PM
link   
don't worry I'm not launching a feminist critique of Margaret Atwood's futuristic novel

However the methods she described, in which her version of the NWO took over the United States do interest me. For those of you that haven't read this book a summary of what happens is that 'normal' american society is suddenly overthrown by an extreme right fundamentalist christian group using several methods simultaneously:

1. most members of congress are assassinated simultaneously by what is alleged to be a non american terrorist organisation. The US is then placed in a state of emergency and apparently governed by the military

2. at the same time as this the bank accounts and assets of every woman (hence the feminist comment) and also every man who is already known to intelligence agencies to be a subversive element, are frozen and the money taken.

Therefore within one day you suddenly have a society who cannot move freely because of the state of emergency and a large percentage of whom suddenly have no money.

(Obviously Atwood's book is set slightly in the future and there has already been other global events such as a nuclear war to explain)

I'm just curious as to people's thoughts on these methods - how feasible do you think this scenario is?

posted on Mar, 1 2003 @ 05:39 AM
link   
very

posted on Mar, 2 2003 @ 12:37 PM
link   
That's a very scary possibility. It is always good to think ahead of possibilities and be prepared, just in case...

posted on Mar, 2 2003 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I dont know how feasible that scenario is, but its a scary one to say the least.

arc

posted on Mar, 2 2003 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I agree it's very unnerving - and if you think thats bad what happens after the take-over is even scarier!

top topics

join