It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When one thread closes another one opens.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Maybe we put too much value on the big threads. The concept of the thread-killer has always bothered those who think they are one. It just means it's time for a new line of thought. A new thread. It doesn't stop the discussion or the thinking. It just means somebody else needs to post a new thread. A new idea to keep the discussion going is what is needed. Threads come and threads go. Lets stop basing the value of our inputs on our thread lengths! If a thread gets very long, that's good for the site, sure, to that end. But don't let it worry you if your thread is short. Some people are good at starting threads and some are good at adding to them.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Values and concepts rely on the phenomena of doubts and beliefs. We should expand our topics, to not be closed minded about the same subjects over and over again. There is so much to discuss, exchange...

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I think you are completely a 100 % right.
This also allows other members to build on their ATS points.

Only posting other threads is taking way to long to get 5000 of them points.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
anyone wanna help out with my last 2 threads...I got 1 reply between the 2 of em!! And i thought they were both pretty good.

check my profile and bump those muthers!!

thanks guys!

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
The thread that can be posted in
is not the eternal thread.
The moniker that can be registered
is not the eternal moniker.

The un-posted is the eternally real.
Posting is the origin
of all particular threads.

Free from desire for stars and flags, you realize the mystery.
Caught in desire for stars and flags, you see only your post count sinking.

Yet posting and threads
arise from the same source.
This source is called "the black ATS background."

Darkness within darkness.
The gateway to all understanding.

-Tao Te Ching, ATS edition

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Haha perfect! And to anyone else, thanks. I can't star the posts anymore. So that is for that. I'm not being political here, I understand ATS rules and have no problem with them. I was just saying personally, don't be bothered if you don't have a huge thread, or seem to "kill" them. I have like 1000 posts and don't have a big thread for instance.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Sorry, I never really understood (lack of reading) the value of points or anything...do I get a check in the mail or something?

I tend to post things that I think merit a discussion..sometimes I post decent ones, sometimes not so great...but if I find I did something already out there, I try to stop it from progressing and link right at the top to the original thread...redundancy is bad.

Now, something that has been going on for like years and is hundreds of pages long...might deserve a new post of the summery to date, so people dont get completely lost...but that should be after a certain amount of posts...say once you hit 20 pages, your capped and should be opened as a new thread with the original post posted and a update based on the last thread

we could also simply do away with the point system (unless of course I will be recieving a free subscription to ATS magazine once I reach 10k points) and not worry about people posting crap just to get points verses add to the dialog...

just my thoughts

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
The thread that can be posted in
is not the eternal thread.
The moniker that can be registered
is not the eternal moniker.

The un-posted is the eternally real.
Posting is the origin
of all particular threads.

Free from desire for stars and flags, you realize the mystery.
Caught in desire for stars and flags, you see only your post count sinking.

Yet posting and threads
arise from the same source.
This source is called "the black ATS background."

Darkness within darkness.
The gateway to all understanding.

-Tao Te Ching, ATS edition

Brilliant!

Remember everyone-

(excuse me while I reference a tired cliche')

It ain't the size of the ship, it's the motion of the ocean

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
One thing that will happen is that i meant this to be a philosphical thread. A play on how when one door closes another opens. Now it's moved to board business and people with long threads are going to take offense and perceive me as a "has not" that is only complaining. I don't have a problem with anyone who has brought these to the site. It's just a line of thought, a flow I had, that I wanted to post... And when looked at in terms of board business, it becomes something else altogether.

Just like in an MMORPG. Ever played one that died away? You see a world come and go. Things change, all things are impermanent, this really wasn't meant to be about board business... unless we have entered the paradigm shift (Edit: not Imma, but prema) prematurely, in that case it wont make a difference.

[edit on 6-2-2010 by Novise]

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Don't feel bad if your threads don't blow up. Often times the dumbest or most inflamatory threads get the most attention.

Perhaps some threads do not grow because we just wrote them TOO well, .... and there is nothing else to add.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Novise

Hi Novise ... I'm trying to understand what it is exactly you are suggesting or inquiring about. When a member creates a thread he/she has no control over the level of interest their OP/topic is going to generate, or how many folks will decide to participate.
And from what I've observed staff is quite lenient as far as allowing threads on a similar topic but with a different 'twist' to them. Even if an identical thread topic has already been explored in the past, if it has been inactive for a while they will also let it be.

It is true that when one door closes another one (or many for that matter) open(s) ... perhaps you can give us an example of the issue and what it is that you suggest as a remedy.

[edit on 6 Feb 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

Perhaps some threads do not grow because we just wrote them TOO well, .... and there is nothing else to add.

I have made some threads that got a lot of posts. Most of them haven't. Even the ones that have gotten quite a few replies are only about 7-8 pages long. I might have one or two that have 10 pages, but that is very unusual.

I liken it to the fact that a lot of times I start threads on things that people really can't say much about. If there is anything of significance to say about the given thread, I tend to say it in the initial post. It's sort of self-defeating, I suppose.

I have been here almost four years and I have seen members come and go simply because they felt they didn't get the attention they "deserved." It seems to be an ego thing to me. *SHRUG*

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Well it's really something obvious that should go unsaid, but people post a thread and then maybe get only a few replies, or they end a thread with a good post. No replies to them, they feel they may not have felt what they said was valuable. That's not always the case. There is nothing you or anyone can do to make them realize what they offered was valued and read, maybe stars, but it was. Only them being aware that replies and thread length do not dictate value... But that is understood. This was meant as an exersize.

Edit: so what do we take from that? It just means the line of thought has ended and it's time for another one. A new conversation, a new situation.

[edit on 6-2-2010 by Novise]

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Novise

Ah ok ...

Not taking things personally is always imho the wiser approach. One does their best ... how others choose to respond, or not respond, is beyond our control. If one is looking for personal validation through the reaction of others to their thoughts, ATS and indeed life will be a succession of disappointments and suffering.

There is nothing you or anyone can do to make them realize what they offered was valued and read, maybe stars, but it was.

Well I often send a note of appreciation to members who's contribution has had an impact on me. With the above noted caveat in mind, on the rare occasion that a member decides to do likewise to me, I have also appreciated it.

Edit for clarity.

[edit on 6 Feb 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Novise

I chose topics that interest me from reading the news; usually American politics. Some are controversial and meant to elicit a response from other members. I invariably know who is going to respond to my threads, both for and against what ever question or premise I pose. A lively passionate debate is healthy.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Erm... if I based my value on my thread length, I'd be in trouble!

Good thing I know what I'm really worth!

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Erm... if I based my value on my thread length, I'd be in trouble!

27 or so replies per thread authored from thee is very good ... if one were counting.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Novise

One thing that will happen is that i meant this to be a philosphical thread. A play on how when one door closes another opens. Now it's moved to board business and people with long threads are going to take offense and perceive me as a "has not" that is only complaining. I don't have a problem with anyone who has brought these to the site. It's just a line of thought, a flow I had, that I wanted to post... And when looked at in terms of board business, it becomes something else altogether.

Too bad the thread got moved, perhaps alert a Mod. to the original intent of the thread and see what can be done? I do understand where you are coming from, philosophically and I think it a cool concept for a thread.

reply to post by schrodingers dog

Kind of you to say, thank yoos!

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Really? Just post some new threads if you want points flags.. Try to post ones that are breaking news or new paradigms...

I only joined a month before you and I'm at 35,000..

not that the points mean anything.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Novise

At one time, ATS had a column that showed the number of "views" of a thread.

It was another way of measuring interest in a thread. It was taken away because ... I forget why.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join