It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How would you solve the unemployment crisis?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
ok, snip...I have been sort of letting this thread run its course without much interference...however, this one...I had to take an exception to

simple math.
40 million people at 1 million bucks a piece...

40mx1m= 40 TRILLION dollars.

you realize we are hitting a debt ceiling at our current 7 trillion insanity...you think adding another 40 trillion in debt will sort things out?

Whomever wrote that email fails at math

why not just give everyone in the US a zillion bucks a piece...then we can all be rich, woohoo.

Okay, I finally took to using a calculator.

40mil times 1 mil does equal 40,000,000,000,000.

I still don't get it, but oh well.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

What you are proposing is more than 3X our current US National Debt... which is in the upper left hand corner of the link provided. Run your mouse over each figure an read what it says in the center top of the page. Hope this helps.

Real Time Debt Clock

[edit on 17/2/2010 by Hedera Helix]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hedera Helix
reply to post by Jessicamsa

What you are proposing is more than 3X our current US National Debt... which is in the upper left hand corner of the link provided. Run your mouse over each figure an read what it says in the center top of the page. Hope this helps.

Real Time Debt Clock

[edit on 17/2/2010 by Hedera Helix]

huh???

I didn't propose it. Someone else did. I was just figuring out math. I don't even think that it should be done.

This is what I proposed in an earlier post:

The corporations need to be boycotted as much as possible. Small businesses are necessary.

Everyone needs their debts wiped clean with a fresh slate. We can just start over with what we have.

People like to point out that others don't know how to cook from scratch anymore. Instead of complaining, I think those should spend their time befriending and teaching/mentoring those who weren't raised knowing how to do things like cooking. It'd help everyone out in the long run because food supplies would go farther than they do now and it can rid us of unhealthy processed foods. This would lower health care costs. The time people spend complaining about other people's ignorance could be better utilized to improving everyone's standard while creating a positive instead of a negative.

Scrap the public school system and raise the standards to what they used to be.

[edit on 2/17/2010 by Jessicamsa]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I think our untapped resources would be the best way to go, start wiring all homes and businesses/cities/neighborhoods/ rural areas for wind/solar and hydro power, also the Garden roof with the water that cooled the buildings I saw on discovery channel or something a long time ago, this would give engineers, architects, contractors, builders and much more jobs building and installing these things...like windmills, dams, and solar panels and systems. I also agree with plastics, clothing, paper and other products we could make with hemp and be exported...also the community farms are an excellent idea. Innovation, so more inventors and inventions, rewards for thinking up new things to produce and ship out, unfortunately this is something that founded our country, but has since fallen to the wayside. Start drilling for the oil we do need at home, and cut down on usage, free ourselves from our dependency on foriegn oil, this would and could be done with agricultural and biological engineers who would oversee that these drillings would be safe and productive for us as well as the natural environment, plus it'd give a whole group of people jobs as there aren't much for those people to do in the states at this time. Just some thoughts, maybe it could be done?

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
How do you solve the unemployment problem? Easy!

First, set term limits on the congress. Two four-year terms just like the presidency and align the election with the presidency election dates. You set terms; you eliminate the preoccupation with perceptual re-election. Perhaps one can wake up the natural need for mankind to do good in that last senatorial term. All this is needed for the second action point below to reduce influence.

Second, finance regulation. But not just any regulation. The urge to gamble must be killed and instead investment using the people's money must be invested by banks on legitimate business initiatives that create jobs. How do you do it? You regulate the ability of banks to bet against its customers. A lender cannot invest its own money on the market securities, it cannot invest in securities outside of the US, it cannot lend to others for the sole purposes of investing in securities, and instead must make its profit by either lending the money to legitimate startup companies (by lending or owning them) or by capitalizing existing companies. You want to be in the gambling business? Then you become a trading house. You want to be in the business of lending or creating new companies? Then you become a bank or investment bank.

Third, the incentive to ship jobs outside of the US must be stopped. You kill the tax incentives to ship jobs and provide incentives to bring them back. Then you also make it mandatory to show proof the skills required to do the job is not available in the US. That is, you make it mandatory to tape every job interview and hold all documentation. You still want to send your jobs outside of the US? Then pay tariffs on the re-importation of goods to the US, and in the case of services, institute a service tax. You still want to ship jobs out by incorporating outside of the US. Good, then good luck with the US markets; back to the "Made in the USA" campaign.

Fourth, invest in education and research. The lifespan of new technologies is counted in months before the Chinese copy it and it becomes a commodity. Long are the good all days of the Silicon Valley. Why? Because of the next point.

Fifth, Institute tax breaks for long term investments. There is no such a thing as long term investments in America. Everything is with the eyes on a dollar and within a year. This leads to jobs cutting because this is the easiest way to make a buck. Why? Because of the next point.

Six, cap compensation. Make it mandatory for any increases in executive salaries to have to be voted in by investors rather than the Board of Director. Pin pay to long term return, meaning more compensation via securities (stocks) rather than cash. Tax all capital gains on these securities.

Why all this?

Because mankind has gone back to its primitive roots. Easier to take than to make, easier to receive than to give, easier to amass than to work for it. After all, it is amazing that mankind did not make a dent on civilization until they learned to produce for their own. So for all these business leaders and politician that ping their own ambitions on the sweat of the common people, labor slavery here in America and elsewhere in China and India, produce something! At least make all of us peons of society proud to have you as our leaders.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Since our country is already well versed in this method, I feel we should continue printing currency like maniacs and use that additional currency to pay off our foreign debts. Then we establish a 5% tarriff to all international business. This should not only incent companies to bring back manufacturing and telecommunications to the United States, but also make us the lowest cost bidder on the world market. We'd learn to build everything needed in our own borders, as we'd be unable to buy anything from overseas. Foreign investors will flock to the new businesses and start to prop our currency up. Basically, we'd become a republic version of the USSR with a currency essentially worthless outside our own borders, but able to take care of ourselves.

As a result, nobody would want our financial aid after a disaster, as it would be worthless. We couldn't afford an overseas war and instead focus on national defense. It would be hard times, but we can be a self sufficient nation. We feed most of the world anyways, so obviously we could feed ourselves. Basic needs could still be met, we just wouldn't be able to afford internationally produced goods.

Our government would also become less corrupt as our money will be worthless and therefore not worth the meddling of foreign interests.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyx
I would take the money from the rich and give it to the poor. I would make sure that everyone in the world has food and shelter.

So I take it you want to make food prices to skyrocket and make shelter makers fabulously wealthy?

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

Oh, if only it were that easy. No country would go bankrupt.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I would take on graduate students have them taught everything and sack the old fat cats and make a good investment banking facility too, AND BUY LOCALLY GROWN FOOD FROM FARMERS WITH NO SUPER COW MILK EITHER!!!

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join