It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WARNING: 5.0 to 6.0 earthquake likely in NW & Southern California Feb 6-Feb 8

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Just received a twitter message and thought of sharing it with everyone.

NOTE; Dangerous amount of risk across California the next 3 days. Both NW and Southern California could experience large earthquakes during the next 3 days. Feb 06; 4.5-5.5 (Eureka to Reno, Nevada, North California)
Feb 06; 5.0-6.0 (Ventura, Fillmore, Bakersfield, Indio, Banning, Off Coast of San Diego, Southern California)
Feb 07; 4.5-5.5 (Eureka, NW California)
Feb 07; 5.0-6.0 (Ventura, Fillmore, Bakersfield, Indio, Banning, Off Coast of San Diego, Southern California)
Feb 08; 4.0-4.5 (Eureka, NW California)
Feb 08; 4.0-4.5 (Ventura, Fillmore, Bakersfield, Indio, Banning, Off Coast of San Diego, Southern California)
Feb 09; 4.0-4.5 (Eureka, NW California)

Please see maps @ www.quakeprediction.com...

It's like a season of earthquakes! Earthquakes everywhere first in Yellowstone, Haiti etc.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

Thanks for sharing. I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled.

Let's hope that nothing bad happens. Do you have any idea how accurate this person/group is?

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Well, if any of this comes true, than thankfully it is a rather small quake. Most buildings and infrastructure should be able to withstand a 5.

Of course there would be damage, but it should not be apocalyptic or major.

If this website were predicting a 8 or 9, I would start worrying.

What is the track record for this "quake prediction" website anyways? I assume their record is dismal since I have never heard about them until today.

I would expect if they had a good track record they would be way more popular by now. But these are just my assumptions based on my expectations.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

No I am afraid I don't know about the accuracy of the website. After you posted the question I again visited the website to see how they predict a earthquake..it led me to this page - www.quakeprediction.com...

Quakeprediction.com The main method we use to make our earthquake forecasts is based on thermal temperature changes caused by frictional heating of the tectonic plates.

# Here are a few other methods we have tried listed below; Moon phases
# Animal behaviour
# Human behaviour
# Micro earthquakes
# Seismic gaps
# Thermal temperature changes
# Satellite earthquake clouds
# ULF or Ultra Low Frequency sounds
# Water temperature changes

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
How reliable is that site?

For some reason I find that someone that says that the prediction method is based on "thermal temperature changes caused by frictional heating of the tectonic plates" may not be that reliable.

I guess we will see.

Edit: once more, I took too long to write my post and the answer was already posted.

[edit on 6/2/2010 by ArMaP]

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I'm going to be driving on the I-10 West from Phoenix and connect with the 101 North in California on Monday to surprise family back home for my B-Day.. I hope this doesn't come true, I've never driven during an earthquake. If there does happen to be an earthquake, are there any tips for what to do? Obviously pull over, but in terms of keeping control of the vehicle at first?

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by AztecWrior805

Yes I've always wondered what it's like to be driving when an earthquake hits. I would think a car on the open road would have been one of the safest places to be. But I guess not.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Hopefully nothing happens though I would be a bit concerned about all the Nor Cal dams possibly being damaged from a major quake not to mention Volcano's. Hopefully they are unbreakable not like the Titanic.

[edit on 6-2-2010 by SimpleKnowledge]

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   

People in cars only notice large earthquakes (6.5 or more) and are safer for several reasons: they are inside a relatively strong structure, they have a larger volume (the volume of the car) to keep them from falling inside any crack that may open in the ground, etc.

In case of an earthquake while driving you should stop slowly (you don't want to survive an earthquake to die in a car crash, right?) on an area with not trees, buildings or bridges near it (those things only fall during a large earthquake, but you will only feel a large one inside a car). As almost all cars have a radio, that is also helpful, and even better if you have an emergency kit.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   

If you are driving in a car, it is recommended that you pull over and stop the car immediately, remain in the car, wait until the shaking stops completely, then survey your immediate area for damage before continuing to drive.

Link for additional information and source:
www.progressive.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Why does it say not to drive over a downed electrical line? The only way you can get electrocuted if you are touching a power line is if you step out of the car onto the ground. Otherwise you can drive over an electrical line due to the rubber tires etc. Even if a power line falls on your car you are safe as long as you don't touch the ground with any part of your body.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

Yeah but you don't want the lines to get tangled up in your tires because then you might get stuck.

And what will you do then? Just wait?

What if it starts a fire?

Tons of reasons to go around it, rather than over it.

But you are right the car is grounded well.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Earthquake prediction, in itself even within a few hours is sketchy at best, predicting for a few days out, and a magnitude prediction as well is pretty, well not very likely, we will never be able to fully predict. or even understand nature as it is always surprising us, still it is always best to be aware and watchful, so we are not caught completely off guard.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

Yeah, you're right. I doubt you would be electrocuted.

Might be possible for the wires to cause problems with your car's electricals though, causing your car to stop, or black out altogether.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
5.0 to 6.0 are nothing.

High sevens an up are when buildings & bridges start breaking.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I recall being in a car during a 5.9 earthquake whose epicenter was about 75 miles away. People in the house felt quite a bit of shaking, however, I felt nothing in the automobile. I didn't even know there had been an earthquake until I arrived home. A car is one of the safest places to be as long as you're not traveling over/under a bridge or overpass which is in danger of collapsing.

top topics

join