It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Either this is the biggest military exercise ever, or something is up.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
If an extremely large asteroid hit the ocean, it wouldn't matter where we were at. However if a relatively small but fast moving asteroid hit the pacific ocean causing tidal waves, those waves would eventually reach into all other connected oceans such as the Atlantic. I'm not sure at what height the waves would be after travelling that much distance. Just throw a rock into a pond and you can see the waves ripple out until they crash on the shore.

If most of our ships were moving out, maybe or hopefully it's only a precaution in case someone is not sure if something will miss or not until it's almost here. Would it be irresponsible for the government to issue a dire warning to coastline residents that there is a 30% chance of an asteroid hitting the ocean? I'm guessing here but I believe our government would want to be sure first before causing lots of useless panic.

Edited note: I forgot to add that in all probability it really is just an exercise.

[Edited on 30-5-2004 by orionthehunter]

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
The hydrogen cyanide & other gases will be the biggest killer.. that is what evolves when a comet enters our atmosphere. It produces Hydrocyanic acid. John described it perfectly ... wormwood ( bitter)

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Ok, lets make a list of names of people thinking a comet is going to hit soon. When nothing happens will you all say "Sorry , I'm totally clueless and believe all kinds of weird crap."???
hehe

Variable

P.S. How long until the apolog..errr impact?

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I "was" in the Navy, all I can say is that "I think" we are getting ready for another war. It is my belief that its very possible it has to do with the Iranians threatening they had missiles and were going to use them in 29 targets, but maybe its something else. I do not think this has to do with any impacts, this is either a preparation for another war, or it is really the largest military exercise in quite some time.

i don't believe this year we will have any asteroid impacts, there is not enough evidence, just speculations and the ramblings of a man, (maybe a kid) but something is definitively up and it has to do with either some major conflict, or truly a military exercise.

[Edited on 31-5-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I thought the same thing, but it just doesn't work that way. The ships would have to be pretty close to the impact zone to feel it, or otherwise at the neartest coast.

BTW, intersting side-note; just before a wave like that would hit, scientists say that water at the beaches of the affected coastlines would recede out to see. If you ever see that happening, RUN FAR AND FAST. Don't look back, don't question, just run for your life, and you might get lucky.

-P

Originally posted by razorbackhater

Originally posted by NothingMakesSense

If an asteroid hit any part of the ocean (or land, for that,) the tidal waves generated would be more than enough to flip the boats... We're talking hundreds of feet tall waves here (I Think? Depends on the mass and KE of the asteroid)

No it wouldn't and here's why:

An asteroid imapcting a body of water creates a massive pulse through the water, commonly known as a wave. This wave, in deep water, is barely noticable. When it gets into shallow water, however, it starts to pile up higher, sometimes as far as 50 feet. This "growing" as it reaches shallow water has to do with how waves work.

Take a slinky and hold it horizontally. Now push one end in and watch the wave move thru the slinky. The induvidual particles of the slinky don't move, but the energy does. Same with a wave. All the water stays pretty much where it is, but the moleculs banging into each other transfer the energy. SO when there are more molecules (deep water) there are more transfer points through which to transfer energy. But when you have fewer transfer points (shallow water) the wave must start to move water and stand up above the normal level. This creates the breaking motion you see on a beach.

So therefore, for larger ships, it will be better to be where the water is deep so the wave does not disrupt the water surface as much.

If someone can explain it better have at it.

ahh if an asteroid hit it would generate waves of extreme heights and it wouldn't matter how deep of water a vessel was in, the displacement of water by the asteroid would be massive and would not dissipate no matter how much deep water is traversed, depending on the size and speed of the hit that is.

[Edited on 28-5-2004 by razorbackhater]

[Edited on 28-5-2004 by razorbackhater]

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 04:12 AM
link   
a reliable source (radio) recently reported...there is a Russian built Submarine off the eastern coast of the USA....whether it is an exercise or not...i dont know. It was called in as a Kilo class sub, I belive it was somewhere between maryland and New Jersey. the word "Iranians" was also mentioned in the same conversation. I checked the facts... the Iranians did indeed purchase a Russian Kilo class attack submarine some years ago, and they paraded it in the Med Sea. Perhaps they are looking for that submarine. (I thought all they would need is a an Orion P3c submarine hunting aircraft.) the Coastgaurd has all but gone to encrypted communications(presumably from 9/11). My Navy friends advise me that the next event for these fanatics...will be by sea.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Hah, I wouldn't want to be the Iranians on a submarine near the US! The US got pretty good at playing under sea games with the USSR. I'll bet the Iranians arn't quite up to our level "Tag."

If they are anywhere near the mainland I'll bet there are two US attack subs right behind them.

Variable

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I think there could be a combination of reasons.. possible some of the below.

1. It's summer time which is good for military exercises apparently.
2. The US has apparently learned that it was "tricked" into invading Iraq, and bogging down most of the US army there. There could be further developments from this.
3. There are rumours of terrorist attacks, and getting ships out to sea would be at least a precaution against attacks in port.
4. Maybe they are planning a very rapid withdrawl, which would require lots of air support and a Dunkirk style ship bourn evacuation / re-deployment.
5. Maybe it's just millitary posturing, given current geopolitical climate.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Hey this is potentially a very important thread (or then again mybe its not)

How about keeping this comet crap out of it, its a hoax, get over it. All it does is break up the thread for people who REALLY want to follow this discussion.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I readily admit I am not versed with the goings on of the Navy, but, is it possible that this exercise has something to do with the "Show of Force" off the coast of West Africa?

www.spacewar.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
www.signonsandiego.com...
I find it interesting that everyone is saying.. oh yeah, this was planned..
Then why did the uss washington wait till June 1 to cancel the tiger cruise?
www.spear.navy.mil...

Why are all the big boys having ops right now? UK, Russia, US..
www.nbcsandiego.com...
www.kgw.com...
news.scotsman.com...
itar-tass.com...
www.utusan.com.my...

PNAC says we need to be able to participate in 3 theaters at once.. it's right out of their handbook.

And Bush is sounding more and more unstable
www.capitolhillblue.com...

This is going to be a dark summer.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by kirain
I readily admit I am not versed with the goings on of the Navy, but, is it possible that this exercise has something to do with the "Show of Force" off the coast of West Africa?

www.spacewar.com...

i think that article is a good explination.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
according to the navy it is indeed a "show of force" exercise, see here www.news.navy.mil...

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeBDeviL
I don't think I can believe the end of the world story. Especially because it uses Bible references to help "verify" it. That is because, ALSO in the Bible, it says "No man will be able to tell the day when the world ends - Only God can know that"

So, if this is true, there will be impact, no meteor, tidal waves, etc, nada.

-wD

It also talks of in the end times those who see the signs many will basically continue to live in ignorance. anyway do the thick masses ie the 6 BILLION other people on this rock know. Of course not.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Sounds like a typical Navy exercise to me. When I was in the Navy we did large exercises all the time. Maybe not this large, but hey, it is good for practice.

[Edited on 4-6-2004 by WarBUCKs]

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   
just boys showing their "big guns" to the world
just think, if u were in a war, wouldnt you try to show your forces to
scare your enemy?

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   
if something had went wrong with a top secret project (top secret test craft/bomb test that never went off) etc and all the countries decided they wanted to have a little look at this - wouldnt quite a few countries all rush out to sea ?

not bringing the aliens into this , but something like movie endings of "the abys" and "sphere" spring to mind here

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 07:22 PM
link   
It's more than likely just training. The military is either fighting or training. There are major exercises that go on all the time. It just doesn't go on the news. It's just a show of force, or cold war type tactics. Hey look at me and see what I got. There are billions of dollars being pumped into the military now and they are getting lots of new toys that need trying out.

Look at operation foal eagle. It's a major exercise that goes on in korea every year. Does that mean we're going to envade them? Nope. Just training.
www.globalsecurity.org...

[Edited on 4-6-2004 by Hoppinmad1]

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anyndur
just boys showing their "big guns" to the world
just think, if u were in a war, wouldnt you try to show your forces to
scare your enemy?

actually they are doing this with governments in africa, southern asia, elsewhere and its not just war games going on, they are showing the world that even during miltiple wars the US can still support many allies and put a signifigant force quickly to many more locations around the globe.

[Edited on 4-6-2004 by namehere]

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Could this have anything to do with China buying and building a large navy? SOP for the American Military has been convincing others not to act up by showing overwhelming force ever since the Cold War.

Eh, just a thought.

Probably just because Bush is a lunatic. lol.

~Astral

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join