It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Either this is the biggest military exercise ever, or something is up.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Navy to Deploy Carrier Groups to Test Rapid Readiness

A major exercise soon to be underway will have a large part of the Navy fleet deploying out of Norfolk.

The Navy is sending seven carrier strike groups out to sea for an exercise designed to test the Navy's new rapid deployment readiness.

The USS George Washington is already deployed. Two others, the USS Enterprise and USS Harry S Truman will leave soon.

Other carriers involved in the exercise include the USS John F. Kennedy, the USS John S. Stennis, and the USS Ronald Reagan - which left Norfolk on Thursday.

While the Navy won't say where the seven carrier groups are going, the carriers not already deployed are expected to be gone for only one to two months.
www.wavy.com...

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   
hmmn... seven carrier groups is nearly HALF of the fleet, isn't it?

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
MORE than half...

globalsecurity.org...

I think I saw a post about Russian navy planning similar exercises in June..

edit: link right here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[Edited on 28-5-2004 by kukla]

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I allready posted this information it the thread...

Very Scary End Of The World Article

They are moving them away from the naval ports because when the impact occurs the tidal wave would destroy them.

It's all about the impending impact.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Sorry EW..I've had a hard time staying up on each page of that thread. While I'm not usually the alarmist type, this certainly qualifies as a very strange coincidence.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by energy_wave

Pure speculation.

I honestly don't think this has anything to do with an "impending impact" from an asteroid or comet. These types of training excercises have been known to take place in the past, why is this any different?

This whole "the sky is falling" thing is getting old.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Sure we've had large scale training exercises, but 7 carrier groups? Where's the military buffs...

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I will give you a clue, think Vietnam.

What happend.. when we,, urrr

Pulled out

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Ok, I've heard of more than seven CBG's deployed before - but that was to the many parts of the globe that needed coverage. I can not recollect 7 CBG's deployed all at once for the same reason or exercise in more than 34 years of news tracking.

Anyone from the Navy here that knows different?

Globalsecurity.org lists deployments as follows,

Kittyhawk - Yokosuka Pacific
Enterprise - Norfolk Exercise?
Kennedy - Mayport (deploy June) Exercise?
Nimitz - San Diego (Feb04 6mo. maint.) Maint.
Eisenhower - Norfolk (3 year RCOH) Maint.
Vinson - Bremerton Pacific
Roosevelt - Norfolk ( 6mo. maint?) Maint.
Lincoln - Everett (May 2004 - PIA to be Completed) Pacific
Washington - Persian Gulf ? Exercise?
Stennis - San Diego (24 May 2004 - Deploys) Exercise?
Truman - Norfolk (?? Apr 2004 - Norfolk) Exercise?
Reagan - 27 May 2004 - Departs Norfolk Exercise?

If Globalsecurity info is correct much more than half of the deployable CBG's are involved.

Signa you might be on to something here. All the carriers involved in the "exercise" leaves only three other operational carriers in the Pacific while the rest appear to be in a maintenance rotation.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by energy_wave

Very Scary End Of The World Article

They are moving them away from the naval ports because when the impact occurs the tidal wave would destroy them.

Come on! There are many, many, many amatuer and independent professional Astronomers around the world. Don't you think one of them would have blown the whistle by now? Or is this a stealth asteroid or comet?

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I don't think I can believe the end of the world story. Especially because it uses Bible references to help "verify" it. That is because, ALSO in the Bible, it says "No man will be able to tell the day when the world ends - Only God can know that"

So, if this is true, there will be impact, no meteor, tidal waves, etc, nada.

-wD

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
hmmn....

If the Navy was worried that terrorists might try to strike Norfolk...

they might see the wisdom in moving billions of dollars of equipment (and thousands of servicemen) out to see.

I don't believe in Pearl Harbor conspiracies... but didn't the Navy move all of its carriers out of Oahu within a week of the attack?

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
"SUPPOSEDLY" this 'incoming' asteroid IS a STEALTH asteroid....it cannot be seen because it IS hidden by a very massive DUST cloud, it is traveling behind, and as part of this dust cloud.

[Edited on 28-5-2004 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
"SUPPOSEDLY" this 'incoming' asteroid IS a STEALTH asteroid....it cannot be seen because it IS hidden by a very massive DUST cloud, it is traveling behind, and as part of this dust cloud.

So then how was it detected in the first place?

I don't buy it.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess

If it is travelling behind a massive dust cloud, then what the heck is generating that dust cloud?

BTW, here is the deal with the Ronald Reagan:
news.navy.mil...

NORFOLK, Va. (NNS) -- USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) and its 3,000 crew members departed Norfolk Naval Station May 27 at 10 a.m. The Navy�s newest nuclear-powered and most technologically-advanced aircraft carrier will be heading for its official homeport at Naval Air Station North Island, San Diego.

[Edited on 28/5/04 by COOL HAND]

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   
If an asteroid hit any part of the ocean (or land, for that,) the tidal waves generated would be more than enough to flip the boats... We're talking hundreds of feet tall waves here (I Think? Depends on the mass and KE of the asteroid)
Moving them out to sea would probably cost more lives than anything

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Can`t find any info to suggest other countries moving there fleets out.Think it`s just a way of getting those nancy fairy navy boys out there bunks before they get to used to sleeping with each other

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   

If an asteroid hit any part of the ocean (or land, for that,) the tidal waves generated would be more than enough to flip the boats... We're talking hundreds of feet tall waves here (I Think? Depends on the mass and KE of the asteroid)

No it wouldn't and here's why:

An asteroid imapcting a body of water creates a massive pulse through the water, commonly known as a wave. This wave, in deep water, is barely noticable. When it gets into shallow water, however, it starts to pile up higher, sometimes as far as 50 feet. This "growing" as it reaches shallow water has to do with how waves work.

Take a slinky and hold it horizontally. Now push one end in and watch the wave move thru the slinky. The induvidual particles of the slinky don't move, but the energy does. Same with a wave. All the water stays pretty much where it is, but the moleculs banging into each other transfer the energy. SO when there are more molecules (deep water) there are more transfer points through which to transfer energy. But when you have fewer transfer points (shallow water) the wave must start to move water and stand up above the normal level. This creates the breaking motion you see on a beach.

So therefore, for larger ships, it will be better to be where the water is deep so the wave does not disrupt the water surface as much.

If someone can explain it better have at it.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by NothingMakesSense

No it wouldn't and here's why:

An asteroid imapcting a body of water creates a massive pulse through the water, commonly known as a wave. This wave, in deep water, is barely noticable. When it gets into shallow water, however, it starts to pile up higher, sometimes as far as 50 feet. This "growing" as it reaches shallow water has to do with how waves work.

Take a slinky and hold it horizontally. Now push one end in and watch the wave move thru the slinky. The induvidual particles of the slinky don't move, but the energy does. Same with a wave. All the water stays pretty much where it is, but the moleculs banging into each other transfer the energy. SO when there are more molecules (deep water) there are more transfer points through which to transfer energy. But when you have fewer transfer points (shallow water) the wave must start to move water and stand up above the normal level. This creates the breaking motion you see on a beach.

So therefore, for larger ships, it will be better to be where the water is deep so the wave does not disrupt the water surface as much.

If someone can explain it better have at it.

ahh if an asteroid hit it would generate waves of extreme heights and it wouldn't matter how deep of water a vessel was in, the displacement of water by the asteroid would be massive and would not dissipate no matter how much deep water is traversed, depending on the size and speed of the hit that is.

[Edited on 28-5-2004 by razorbackhater]

[Edited on 28-5-2004 by razorbackhater]

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Update~
SAN DIEGO � More than 5,000 sailors and Marines with the Belleau Wood Expeditionary Strike Group left San Diego today for a six-month deployment in the Western Pacific and the Persian Gulf.

The strike group, commanded by Brig. Gen. Joseph V. Medina, will be deployed to the Western Pacific and Central Command Area of Responsibility, which includes the Persian Gulf region, according to U.S. Navy public affairs.

It is the first time an expeditionary strike group will be commanded by a Marine general, according to the Navy.

The amphibious assault ship Belleau Wood, the amphibious transport dock Denver and amphibious dock landing ship Comstock departed from the 32nd Street Naval Station shortly after 8:30 this morning.

The remainder of the strike group the cruiser Mobile Bay, fast-attack submarine Charlotte and the guided missile destroyers Preble and Hoper � will depart next month.

The strike group will carry Marines from the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit, Marine Helicopter Squadron 166 and Marine Service Support Group 11. The unit may be assigned to a different region from the 1st Marine Division, which is stationed in the al Anbar province of western and central Iraq.

The strike group's deployment was pushed forward a month because Pentagon officials needed additional troops to fill in for Army soldiers who are headed home. Increased fighting throughout Iraq has forced the military to keep about 138,000 troops in the country, about 20,000 more personnel than officials planned for this year.

The deployment is part of the Navy's new Fleet Response Plan, which was developed to train naval forces for quick response to crises and in support of national interests.

www.signonsandiego.com...

[Edited on 30-5-2004 by signa]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join