It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas Prices...What they don't say... But I will. (my speculation)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

We are holding on the reserve oil for a reason. .

Thats because people are starting to get worried. . . .

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   
With all the natual gas we have available, why do people still heat their houses with oil? It cost us about $500 to heat our place this winter. My parents use oil and they almost go through that in a month. Of coarse it takes money to change your furnace, but don't you think that if things are so bad, as far as oil goes, that the gov't would help?

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Here's the electric car it only runs for an hour then you have to recharge..
And yes we're blacked out, i'm paranoid.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   
hehe paranoid. Thats a nice little buggy. But how are we going t omake electricity in large amounts (enough to power as many electric cars as petrol cars) if fossil fuels have run out?

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
With all the natual gas we have available, why do people still heat their houses with oil? It cost us about $500 to heat our place this winter.

Solar energy is supposed to be expensive but well worth it. It will light your house and heat your house, let me find a link.

Solar collectors trap the sun's rays to produce heat. Most solar collectors are boxes, frames, or rooms that contain these parts: (1) clear covers that let in solar energy; (2) dark surfaces inside, called absorber plates, that soak up heat; (3) insulation materials to prevent heat from escaping; and (4) vents or pipes that carry the heated air or liquid from inside the collector to where it can be used.

Covers
Many clear materials can be used as covers for solar collectors, but glass is the most common material. Glass can be made quickly and easily. The special glass used in solar collectors resists breaking and scratching.

When sunlight passes through glass and hits a surface inside a solar collector, it changes into heat. Although glass allows sunlight to pass through, it also traps the heat produced inside the collector.

Absorbers
The heat produced inside a solar collector is soaked up by metal sheets or containers filled with water, rocks, or bricks that have been painted black or another dark color. These dark-colored objects that soak up heat are called absorbers. Without absorbers, solar heating systems would not produce enough heat to warm rooms inside your house.

www.eere.energy.gov...

Now if they only had something like this for transportation....

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone
hehe paranoid. Thats a nice little buggy. But how are we going t omake electricity in large amounts (enough to power as many electric cars as petrol cars) if fossil fuels have run out?

Reminds me of a golf cart, the whole inside is plastic and only goes 70 mph.
Your question is good. Im speculating we can only go so far on gas and electricity for so long before we have to change to something else because us billions of people are over the top in consuming, we're pigs! So I can't answer that other then it's time for someone to come up with a new invention... Solarizing would be cool if you look at my above post but again, the questions remains...How the # do you do that?? LOL

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Well we will all still be able to use our cars with vegetable oil...even though there will nowhere to go becasue there will be no power!

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone
Well we will all still be able to use our cars with vegetable oil...even though there will nowhere to go becasue there will be no power!

If you live in a big city get a bike! Go to work on that...
I live in the country so I need to drive for long distance.
We could just go back in time and use the horse and buggy....
I bet they never blew a tire...Or ran out of gas.....

Hmmm maybe I should go amish... naa I'm not really into the hairy armpit thing like cheryl crow is... lol...

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies

If you live in a big city get a bike! Go to work on that...

I totally agree, the less cars the better. In fact my knees and backside are still recovering from the 'critical mass' which I attend on the last friday of each month in central London near where I live. I'll show you a picture, it's the best way to explain what we do.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   
i watched a show the other night and its focused mainly on cars that used hydrogen. in fact they had a car that was converted to hydrogen. it was a regular internal combustion engine. it was in a focus and ran entirely on hydrogen. in fact it was a regular focus they converted into a hydrogen car. they drove it around and everything. ran just like a regular car

it seems the main problem they have is the fuel tank and how to store the fuel. they had a guy on there who came up with this material that soaks hydrogen up like a sponge and can hold twice as much hydrogen compared to a traditional tank of compressed hydrogen. but the tech is still a little bit out there and its expensive.

i think hydrogen is a very good alternative but its expensive and the tech isnt widely available at the moment but given time i think it can be a very good alternative to gas.

the show was american scientific frontiers with alan alda. it was really good and even made me want a hydrogen car. and if anyone knows me they'd know that would be out of chracter for me.

i love gasoline engines but i recognize we need something that cant be monopolized like oil. just about anyone can create hydrogen. in fact there's a "gas station" in iceland that has a hydrogen pump and it makes its own hydrogen...doesnt need to be refilled, it makes its own...imagine how much money you'd save in not having to have fuels transported around the world.

another problem that noone has brought up with gasoline is this...in the US gas stations are mandated by law in their area to buy gas from only certain sources because of the blend required by law. gas you get on the east coast may very well be illegal in california so gas stations are limited where to get their gas from so if there is a shortage somewhere, they cant get it somewhere else to make up for it. so what happens? prices jack up.

another reason to go hydrogen.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   
PM find me a link i'd love to check it out.......

ET What is with all the people on bikes?? Is this some kind of protest or you guys just do it for fun? Elaborate alittle more... Cool pic... At first I thought it was a Chinese traffic jam on bikes... lol.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   

and you shall receive!

www.pbs.org...

www.wedu.org...

and a link about hydrogen in general...

4hydrogen.com...

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   

ET What is with all the people on bikes?? Is this some kind of protest or you guys just do it for fun? Elaborate alittle more

Basically a we protest every month to make a solitary stand against cars and polution and the many deaths of cyclists in London each year. Oh and it's brilliant fun clogging the rooads fro hours on end, having a little rest in the middle of the leicester square junction causes havoc!!

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
As to electric cars being made out of plastic, hello! Plastic, at least for the time being, is made from oil!

As to this move toward Hydrogen... Hello! It takes more energy to make hydrogen from water, at least right now, that you get out of the hydrogen when you burn it!

Ethanol is an alcohol product made from corn. There's speculation about it cleaning your engine when burned, but unfortunately doesn't give quite the mileage as standard gasoline, even though around here in Missouri, Ethanol blended gas gives two points of octane more, for an equal price or a few pennies a gallon cheaper than standard gasoline.

As to the myth that we are running out of gas (no pun intended), Anwar has billions of barrels of oil, and there's an even bigger pocket of oil in the Gulf of Mexico, unfortunately it's too politically incorrect to drill in these places. I have heard that old oil reserves replenish over time which suggests that either we are not really sure how oil is produced, or we substantially underestimate how much is down there. We also haven't been building any more refineries. The first oil refinery to be built in decades is being proposed in Arizona.

Also, the price of gas isn't going up because the demand is all that much higher or that the supply is all that low, but is because it is "speculated" higher. A few months back, the US government was buying oil at a cost $37 a barrel. Speculators "speculate" that the cost is going up and therefore the oil companies base their price off the price of the speculation, and they send the price upward! Speculators see the actual price going up, then buy into it speculating the price will go higher, and the oil companies see the price speculated to be higher, so they sell it higher even more!

Dave

[edit on 15-8-2005 by CalKnight2]

[edit on 15-8-2005 by CalKnight2]

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The oil corporations in the US has not lost a penny since the raise of the oil prices as a matter of fact their record earnings and billion dollars on profits will prove that they have the money to paid for incentives to have gas prices lower in the US but their greed is not allowing them to do it.

Also, the new blank check that the administration gave them in the name of "engergy bill" is just another billion dollar gift at the expenses of the tax payer.

I will bet that the prices will be push until the 5 dollar mark and see if the American people take it quietly or some riots will start sprouting around.

I think true lies have some good issues in her thread.

That is what I think is going to happen.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I think I am going to look for some oil stock mutual fund to invest in. The way things are going, it will be a good hedge.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
The oil corporations in the US has not lost a penny since the raise of the oil prices as a matter of fact their record earnings and billion dollars on profits will prove that they have the money to paid for incentives to have gas prices lower in the US but their greed is not allowing them to do it.

Also, the new blank check that the administration gave them in the name of "engergy bill" is just another billion dollar gift at the expenses of the tax payer.

I will bet that the prices will be push until the 5 dollar mark and see if the American people take it quietly or some riots will start sprouting around.

I think true lies have some good issues in her thread.

That is what I think is going to happen.

Just last year, ExxonMobil, the largest oil hogs in the United States made twenty-one billion dollars from US sales. This year, ExxonMobil is projected to make over FOURTY TO FIFTY BILLION by the end of the year. Something tells me that Bush Co. and his buddies are deliberately raising prices to make it seem like OPEC is controlling the price for a barrel of light crude.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join