It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas Prices...What they don't say... But I will. (my speculation)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I was watching nbc news last night....they had an advisor and expert on or some stupid job like that where all they do is speculate.

So anyway they were saying how happy they were that bush said no to the oil supply reserve so that they could save it for a "rainy day"!!

That's like saying we put computerized self checkout lanes in the grocery stores because we want to keep up with technology and not get rid of cashiers because they cost too much...

So I smelt b.s as soon as he said that... Save it for a rainy day eh.... Riiight, how about just coming out and saying that this is good because everybody is throwing more money onto the pile and gas prices are going to remain this high until someone's asses are on the line...

Their talking about Saudi Arabia's gas supply.. I didn't think America got their majority of gas from there but from Canada and alaska!
Am I wrong here?

They say that gas prices will get higher as the years go on, so be prepared to shovel out more dough because those corporations just keep getting greedier...

I really don't think that it has to do with oil supply, I think it's a conspiracy to hold out and make us pay more so they get more... Those corporations are anything but genuine and caring...They got an agenda and we're part of it.... The title of this should be gimme gimme gimme...
*barf*

[Edited on 28-5-2004 by TrueLies]

[Edited on 29-5-2004 by TrueLies]

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I think you're wrong. I don't know of any oil company that is making money hand over fist at our expense. They are certainly all publicly held; with a few clicks we all can see their financial statements, etc. I think, and I could be wrong, America only imports around 12% of its oil from SA, majority coming from Canada, Mexico, and Venezuela, respectively. And we certainly cant get any oil from Alaska! Wed disrupt the mating habits of a few caribou, silly! geez!

Question is: if its all about greed and what not, and big oil is making all these profits then why arent we all investing in those companies???

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I think it is the oil companies thinking, "Hey, let's grab it while we can." The insurance companies did it last year, it worked, why not the oil companies? In North America a car is damn near a necessity, so gouge it. Why aren't we investing in these companies? After gas, insurance, upkeep, car payment, I don't have to worry about that one, who has the money for investing? Rich keep getting richer, wish my last name was Getty.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Exactly why I got rid of my car last year. Sure it takes me an extra half hour to get to work...but you know what, I'm saving thousands....yes thousands of dollars a year. Between car payments, insurance, car tax, misc. stuff like inspection.....if we all did this, then maybe they would even think about looking into alternative fuels. I'm not an activist by the way....just a suggestion. Maybe even a car pool?

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob88
I think you're wrong. I don't know of any oil company that is making money hand over fist at our expense. They are certainly all publicly held; with a few clicks we all can see their financial statements, etc. I think, and I could be wrong, America only imports around 12% of its oil from SA, majority coming from Canada, Mexico, and Venezuela, respectively. And we certainly cant get any oil from Alaska! Wed disrupt the mating habits of a few caribou, silly! geez!

Question is: if its all about greed and what not, and big oil is making all these profits then why arent we all investing in those companies???

We should... And that's a good point....... And as soon as I have enough money to make a fairly generous investment I will.
I'm driving my husbands ram right now because my 4 cylinder (which is great on gas) tracker is out of commish.
I thought the majority of oil came from Canada, and I thought the Alaska thing was just a joke because everybody there seem to be tree huggers. I guess it's true.

Investment is wise, I was always taught to invest in a commodity. Has oil become one?
And as soon as we settle into our new home i'll be doing a lot less driving and alot more gardening... *ahhh* with a cold one. *ahhh again*...

I still say oil companies are gouging us on purpose not because their in a state of emergency. Just because they can, and infinite your right, insurance companies did it so why wouldn't they? Good point.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Prices will keep going up and up and up....oil is running out. Our whole generation seems to just be able to ignore the fact that the stuff that our everyday lives and society relies upon is running out fast. There is not long to figure this one out. . .

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I watched a show on discovery about how there are all these gas bubbles under the ocean, which is the cause of all the sinking ships and planes in the bermuda triangle.

They said that it would be awesome for the united states because it's right off the coast of the usa and it would fuel people's tanks for years and years to come.

Why don't they start there??

Those nitrogen bubbles float to the surface and because they get so big they bust the ships which by the way can happen out of the blue.

I'll do a search on discovery and inform ya'll alittle better if you haven't heard of this already.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I'm against gas, oil and whatever. Why cant we just use hydrogen to burn like oil. It's enviroment friendly, and if all the scientists wanted to work on an engine that will cost less I think we would have engines using hydrogen by now...

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Cars can be run on vegetable oil after having the engine converted slightly. How about that ?

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Huge bubbles can erupt from undersea deposits of solid methane, known as gas hydrates. The methane found as an odorless gas in swamps and mines becomes solid under the enormous pressures at the deep sea floor. Under the sea, however, the ice-like methane deposits can break off and become gaseous as they rise, creating bubbles at the surface.

Discover

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone
Cars can be run on vegetable oil after having the engine converted slightly. How about that ?

links....give us links to information about this claim of yours.

i think "converted slightly" is a term you're using loosely.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Edit: You need the explosive combustion of fuel to to push a piston which turns a crankshaft that turns the drive shaft.

Gases include:

gasoline (or petrol), diesel, and kerosene. NOT VEGETABLE OIL... Please explain how you alter the car so it can run on veggie oil.

But I think the vegetable oil theory would go out the window since you pay around 3.00 for a litre.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   
If you think it is a good idea to dip into the Stratigic oil Reserve (SOR) then you need to rethink that idea especially in the times we are in.

It is quite possible their will be a massive large scale terrorist attack in the upcomin months tryin to sway the elections like they did in spain. What it they detonated a dirty bomb in Saudi Arabia or canada and completely contaminated the oil??? With the SOR we could keep goin like notin happened and would not be at the whim of the terrorist.

The SOR are our bargaining chip for oil prices. The oil producers cannot bankrupt the US or blackmail them because of the SOR. So i say we would haveto be in one hell of a crisis to us them.

BTW even tho this is touted at the highest gas prices have ever been they are twisting the facts. Yes, on paper this is the higher it has ever been but during the oil emargo during the Carter administration. During the embargo the prices would be like $3 today if you factored in inflation.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies

But I think the vegetable oil theory would go out the window since you pay around 3.00 for a litre.

Actually there are composite gasolines that are required in some states (cant remember which) taht require this vegitable/petrol mixture.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Prices will keep going up and up and up....oil is running out. Our whole generation seems to just be able to ignore the fact that the stuff that our everyday lives and society relies upon is running out fast. There is not long to figure this one out. . .

Earthtone that is not proven. It is an urban legand reguarding that it takes 10's of thousands of years to make oil. Many scientist have discovered recently that mysteriously some of the older oil deposits are filling up slowly only after a few decades.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
oops

[Edited on 5^29^04 by Quicksilver]

link   
ooops #2

[Edited on 5^29^04 by Quicksilver]

link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
gasoline (or petrol), diesel, and kerosene. NOT VEGETABLE OIL... Please explain how you alter the car so it can run on veggie oil.

Er, google it ....found this random article quickly.

Environmentalists have been using the fuel alternative for years as a way to cut back on sooty emissions, but as gas prices soar above $2 a gallon, they say their "veggie cars" are also a great way to save some cash.

The vegetable oil is then poured into a 15-gallon tank that sits in the back of her Jetta, where a spare tire would usually be kept. With a touch of a button, located above the radio, Kantor can switch from diesel fuel to vegetable oil in seconds.

"Oh, I zip around town, go fast on highways. It's not any different," said Kantor, 58, of Weston.

www.kron4.com...

[Edited on 5/29/2004 by earthtone]

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Quicksilver....

Do you have a link that there are some older oil deposits that are mysteriously being filled up with oil?

We are holding on the reserve oil for a reason. If older oil deposits were "mysteriously being fileld up" there wouldn't be a need to increase our reserves.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Impressive...

Good job...... But if your still mixing the petrol with veg 'o why would I even bother if it's still going to cost me.

What about those electric cars, buy one at an expensive price, and not have to worry about gas, just charge.
I got a picture of one. Me and friends were at a home and garden show and they had them there, they look very round, let me pull it up and post it, hold on.kinda cool lookin.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join