It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No joke: South Carolina now requires 'subversives' to register

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

No joke: South Carolina now requires 'subversives' to register

rawstory.com

Five-dollar registration fee for persons planning to overthrow US government

Terrorists who want to overthrow the United States government must now register with South Carolina's Secretary of State and declare their intentions -- or face a $25,000 fine and up to 10 years in prison.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Well, that's sure going to stop a lot of terrorism in its tracks! If you can't beat them through better intelligence, throw intelligence out the door and drown them in red tape.

And talk about unintended consequences....

While the intention of the law is apparently aimed at Islamic terrorists, it's unclear in the law's wording whether it can be applied to right-wing militias, some of whom have reputedly called for the overthrow of the US government. The law states that "fraternal" and "patriotic" groups are exempt from the law, but only if they don't "contemplate the overthrow of the government."

The only thing I could think of doing when I read this was checking to see that it wasn't posted on April 1 of last year.

wtf?

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I can't wait till some people, for a laugh or to make some political point, register for this and find themselves with some nice men in suits on their door.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
While we're at it, why not just have ALL preceived criminals register, pay a licensing fee and wathc revenues sky-rocket!?

Just goes to show how stupid and completely disconnected politicians are from reality...

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I am a Mason, and on my original application I had to assert that I did not support the overthrow of the US Government.

This was not some secret Illuminati thing to protect TPTB. It was a tax code and 501c thing that keeps the Mason's designated as a charitable organization and tax free!

I think this law is ridiculous, because the $5 is obviously affordable enough to not discourage people from registering or provide any significant revenue. Therefore, the law must be to obtain a list of these people and provide yet another law to prosecute people on technicalities!

So now, in S. Ca., you are either on the registered list to be rounded up, or you drink a little too much and spout some revolutionary ideas and get 10 years in prison?

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
is this from the onion?

I'm too busy cracking up to check. How would this work, hypothetically? Politely ask everyone if they plan on overthrowing the government anytime soon? And if so, could you please sign this and give me ten bucks?

Or would it be anyone who posts on sites like ATS, or god forbid- Independent voters! are tracked down and forced to pay a fine, whether or not they are "subversive"?

And primarily for Islamic terrorists?

wow. Yeah, I can see all those sleeper cells setting the alarms to go down to their local terrorist HQ to sign right up.

This has to be a joke. There's no way anything like this could realistically be done.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Thing is, will your neighboor call them and tell them that you are subversive? I mean any comment opposing Obama heard by some crazy Obama supporter will sure end up with a call...

This is totally police state, in your face tyranny... DISGUSTING.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by metamagic

Thanks for posting this Metamagic!

By "subversive organization," the law means "every corporation, society, association, camp, group, bund, political party, assembly, body or organization, composed of two or more persons, which directly or indirectly advocates, advises, teaches or practices the duty, necessity or propriety of controlling, conducting, seizing or overthrowing the government of the United States [or] of this State."

What can I really say about this??? Hmmm

So if you are planning on overthrowing the US government your going to need the proper paper work to do so??? WTF???

This kind of thought is sooo out of touch with reality. And just another proof that things are so screwed up in this country.

Off topic remark... You need a permit to fish.. You need a permit to drive a car.. And now you need a permit to take over the USA government.. Classic!
I can't even pull a fish out of the water without a permit...

Edit---

$25,000 fine and up to 10 years in prison.

I think 25k and 10 years in prison would be the least of your worries if your going to over throw the government!!!

And plus I wonder this? Does everyone in your group need to have the proper paper work, or just a ring leader?

This is just such a load of bullocks!!!
There is no such thing as just "overthrowing" the US government..
There is no possible way in this day and age to over throw a government like ours. The government we see in our daily lives is a BIG puppet show!
The puppet masters that are in control have nukes, and an Armies..

This is a joke... But as far as I have seen.. Its no joke...
If there are groups of people who want to overthrow our government, why would they need the paperwork?
They would overthrow and change the rules about this.. Hence making this a total waste of time, and just for some reason makes me think this is something deeper..

[edit on 5-2-2010 by zysin5]

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
"Holy jihad, Achmed. I just got my permit to overthrow the government!
It says at the bottom of the page that I should report to this address and my martyrdom will be assigned!"

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
LOL!!!!

Finally CONCRETE PROOF.

That Our Govt is Clinically Retarded!

Now we finally have the PROOF we were looking for!

Now no one can debate or deny this fact!

I just heard a toilet flush somewhere!

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
This crap will get worce and worce if we let it. I think everybody who is a real human being should register for this-flood them with names, make them shake in their pants. Ialways use the words bomb-terrorist, militia, and off the wall tuff everytime i make a phone call now.. If they want to track me then they can pay somebody to do it. Thats so all the dumb sheep out there are taxed a little more for nobody will wake up till you all see JUST HOW MUCH money the gov steels from us all. Just think what we could be doing that is good for everybody with the money the gov wastes. Remember your next call mention the militia meating you went to. How you want to stop the government. How you are stocking up on weapons. How you are sick and tired of the government is corrupt and has to go , or sit back and watch your taxes keep getting higher and higher till you all are out in the streets and they will own everything. JUST GO RIGHT AHEAD AND COWER DOWN

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by itsawild1
I think everybody who is a real human being should register for this-flood them with names, make them shake in their pants.

You sir, have just presented us with the solution to this problem.

Now the next problem to solve is, how can we convince the general public to just go drop 5$ for this in mass?

Seems like the only thing people do in large numbers these days is spend their $ at big corporations.

How can we achieve critical mass?

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Strange, I live in South Carolina and I don't recall this being on the news or on the radio.
For anyone that thinks they should jokingly pay the fee and register, if you have a security clearance and need said clearance to retain employment, BAD IDEA! Once you register as a subversive the security clearance goes bye! bye!

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

tell everyone if they register they'll get giftcards to shop at Guess or HoltRenfrue or whatever. Make a claim about an Ellen or Oprah style giveaway. You know the one where the studio audience has orgasms in their seats over the shiny material possession their being given. It works for both of them. Might work for this.

Cheers

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
wow..ahhh.. hmmmm...ahhh..wow..
Is this what thier lawmakers spend thier time doing?! Towards the end of the article it makes referrence to a law that requires "drug dealers" to declare thier income from selling..or face stiffer penalties if caught...
I wonder how much time and money was spent on this "law"

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I called my grandmother to tell her about this HILARIOUS development.

She was pretty baffled like

But she raised a good point, can we prove this law exists?

Can we get more sources on this to verify that it is indeed true?

We need verification. This is HUGE and I will so make people laugh over this one. Talk about Comedy Material!

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Can we get more sources on this to verify that it is indeed true?

Link

We can have fun with the terminology; they shoot themselves in the foot...

(1) "Subversive organization" means every corporation, society, association, camp, group, bund, political party, assembly, body or organization, composed of two or more persons, which directly or indirectly advocates, advises, teaches or practices the duty, necessity or propriety of controlling, conducting, seizing or overthrowing the government of the United States, of this State or of any political subdivision thereof by force or violence or other unlawful means;

So the bolded above is hilarity...it can be construed to mean anyone anywhere given the circumstances...unless the Supreme Court makes it lawful to lift the limit on campaign contributions, in which case legal exertion of control over the government is A-Okay...

Pretty much, what I am seeing here is that they are making it such that the only way to influence government is for those who have the means and capacity...

They're just drawing the lines in the sand regarding allowable political influence and disallowable political influence.

Which makes it a joke...since nothing has changed but the implementation of another overly broad definition for the application of further and more complex partisanship...

I think that a mandatory loss of cool points should be applied to the first person who gets caught by this legislation...

[

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Does this mean that all future voters and candidates must register? After all - technically and semantically - the act of voting is an attempt to overthrow the government.

SO will they imprison anyone who doesn't register, and if so, before or after they do something that shows they should have?

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Here is the actual form from the state's web site: Subversive Agent Form

The law is very real and is here: S.C. Code of Laws Title 23 Chapter 29

It is pretty obvious that this is just in place so that they can prosecute people who they feel are a threat, even if they have no evidence, simply by pointing out that they "directly or indirectly advocates, advises, teaches or practices the duty, necessity or propriety of controlling, conducting, seizing or overthrowing the government of the United States, of this State or of any political subdivision thereof by force or violence or other unlawful means".

I really love this section here:

SECTION 23-29-30. Effect on freedom of press or speech.
Nothing in this chapter shall be construed to authorize, require or establish censorship or to limit in any way or infringe upon freedom of the press or of speech as guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States and no regulation shall be promulgated hereunder having that effect.

Wow, now it can't be unconstitutional because they said it isn't..

And this section:

SECTION 23-29-70. Forms and schedule for filing information.
Every organization or person coming within the provisions of this chapter shall file with the Secretary of State all information which he may request, on the forms and at the times he may prescribe.

Which essentially states that if the state says you are a subversive agent, you *MUST* give them any and all information they request within the time they give you or you face the 10 year/$25K fine.

This law is well written. Not saying I agree with it, but it is a very clever piece of legislation.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by rogerstigers]

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
What a brilliant idea! Now they can also pass a law enforcing a "check out fee" for people who want to committ suicide. This would be the perfect prevention measure! Want to kill yourself? You have to pay a fee and obtain a license first.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join