It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Lost Children in USA.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Every year 800,000 children are reported missing in the U.S. or 2,000 every day.
There is enough Protection for our Most Vulnerable?
If we see the faces and details behind the statistics, they are deeply
disturbing. What happen in USA? Are these huge numbers real?

Source: www.missingkids.com...

Every year. 800,000 children are reported missing in the U.S. or 2,000 every day. Of that number, an estimated 200,000 are abducted by family members; 58,000 by nonfamily members, the primary motive for which is sexual; and 115 represent the most serious cases in which the child is abducted by a stranger and killed, held for ransom, or taken with the intention to keep.

Two-thirds of the sex offenders in state prisonscommitted offenses against children. There are more than 620,000 registered sex offenders in the U.S. today. At least 100,000 are noncompliant and missing. No one knows where they are.

Time is critical in cases of missing children. In 76 percent of child-abduction homicides, the murder of the child occurs within the first three hours

An estimated 1 in 5 girls and 1 in 10 boys will besexually victimized before they reach age 18, yet only 1 in 3 will tell anyone. One in 7 children who are regular
Internet users receive sexual solicitations online, 1 in 3 is exposed to unwanted sexual material, and 1 in 25 receives a request to meet someone in real life that
they met online.

Does Main Stream Media give the right prominence to a so amazing event?

I would want to know from other members if there are actual current numbers on the effective disappearances of children in USA.
Thanks.

[edit on 5-2-2010 by Imagir]

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
This annual report from MISSING KIDS is from 2008.
There is something (statistics) about 2009?
I can't find.
Thanks.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
800,000 are reported missing.

200,000 from familyl members and less than a hundred thousand from non family members etc is less than 300,000. so what are the other 500,000?

are they false reports or were they found or what? that can be a very misleading figure.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moodle
800,000 are reported missing.

200,000 from familyl members and less than a hundred thousand from non family members etc is less than 300,000. so what are the other 500,000?

are they false reports or were they found or what? that can be a very misleading figure.

I think that other return to their home and parents in one o few days.
But however those number are really huge.

There are other sites where find information about this?

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
It is a very tragic thing that is taking place in the U.S. But it happens all over the world as well.

For the sake of the OP though I am very disturbed by the number of children that vanish without a trace. Most are likely to be either turned into sex slaves or sexually assaulted and killed with their bodies never found. Some might be runaways that end up in those situations or are still living on the street.

Honestly the only fear (aside from heights) I have is the safety of my own son. All this other stuff we talk about here on ATS in only at most slightly bothering most of the time. I always though wonder about something happening to my son. I would hate to think how crazy it might drive me if I had a daughter. Am I being a bit sexist with that? Possibly. But I think girls are in more danger for the most part than boys are.

An interesting note though I recall going to the city once as a kid where my dad was working construction. My mom and I went up to visit him since he was going to be away from home for a month. I went outside the motel room to play with my Hotwheels and was playing close to the room. I felt like someone was watching me and look up to see a guy on the other side of the motel staring at me. I really didn’t give it any more thought at the time, blew it off and went back to playing. Minutes later I still felt as if I were being watched and I started to feel very weird. I look up and the guy is still staring at me. This by the way is in a motel that is sort of U shaped the parking is in the middle of the thing and he is by his room and his car at the time. Anyway I could not take it anymore and went in. I explained to my parents what was going on and they said they knew because mom was watching me out the window and noticed the guy just staring at me. After I went in the guy went into his room. But the amount of time he stood staring at me was strange. Really it could have been nothing but for the most part I wonder if I was not getting the feeling I was for protection.

I also recall a girl that was taken and her body never found; though there were few arrests nothing was ever proven. The girl was relatively close by, not a far drive from where I lived and this happened back in 1989. Her story has always stuck with me, possibly because she was less than a month younger than me.
www.angelfire.com...
www.charleyproject.org...
www.bannerkids.org...

Regardless I want to share one of my favorite videos and songs from the past. It has a good message to it.

Raist

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Thanks Raist.
I appreciate your story.

Protect the children means "protect our future"!

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I'm not sure what the scope of your thread is, no offense but I really don't.

Are we discussing the why, the what to do about it, or simply lamenting a sharing stories?

Thanks

Peace
KJ

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Though the thread is a little old, it might provide some more information: Conspiracy of Missing Children

Some more good links on this subject:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Missing Kids.com - FAQ

Missing Kids worldwide - not just an American issue

Always great to keep this issue at the forefront of all issues.

[edit on February 5th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I don't know if this is a correct understanding; but I had been led to believe that over half of these reported missing children cases come from shared parenting privileges abuses where one parent in a 'split' couple takes the child when they shouldn't have, fails to return on time, or decides they want to 'keep' their child despite legal determinations otherwise.

Frankly, I hope I am wrong, because I would say that including these cases in these statistics serves only to muddle the more acute and tragic issues that involve true 'bad intent' for the victim. I know that sometimes rogue parents are also 'bad' people, but generally speaking, the claim is a function of a parent and their former partner's relationship problems.

But legally - it is still categorized and dealt with as 'abduction'. I'm not sure that is always a fair accusation, but the child's safety should come first since they are not afforded the rights and privileges of an adult citizen and they are naturally less able to protect themselves from people with evil intent.

This subject is very depressing, I feel like losing one of my kids this way would be tantamount waking from a dream and finding that you have lost a limb, and have no idea how to get it back; or what happened to it.

I wish people would treat ALL children like personal treasures, instead of objects to possess. It's too bad that media 'objectifies' children as a normal practice... it may not be a cause, but it can't possibly have a positive effect.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
I'm not sure what the scope of your thread is, no offense but I really don't.

Are we discussing the why, the what to do about it, or simply lamenting a sharing stories?

Thanks

Peace
KJ

The points are:

The real Number of Missing Kids in USA

and, if it is so huge,

Why MSM don't speak about this event.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Thanks for the links greeneyedleo.

I check.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Imagir

I get really sad when it comes to missing kids. I start to wonder about if they are okay, what they are going through, if they are alive and how they must be feeling if bad things are taking place.

Like those listed in the video I linked. I wonder if any of them were found or what happened to them. All of the reports about the sick individuals that do things to kids. Then the recent years of strangely happy news of some still being alive after years of captivity.

www.cnn.com...
www.guardian.co.uk...

I mean really who would have thought that these people would have been found alive. After a certain time I can imagine the families still have some form of wishful hope but for the most part statistics show the chances are rather slim.

There is another story I remember where a girl made friend with the “new girl” in school (who later turned out to be a prostitute to force recruit others). The girl eventually went to the “new girls” house but nerve came back home. The family and police turned up nothing. About a week or more later the girls brother sees her in the back of a car and rescues her. Come to find out they drugged her up and forced her into prostitution where she was beaten and raped. The girl ended up with several STDs but she is alive, one of the rare instances.

Sick people like Albert Fish, Westley Allan Dodd, John Wayne Gacy, and those like them really make me sick. How anyone could do the things they did to kids is beyond me. When it comes to that I really see the evil in mankind and I often wonder about demonic possession.

Raist

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Imagir

I think the MSN not picking up on it is the conspiracy or at least the involvement of it.

I think many are taken for sexual pleasure. Those taken by the small timers are often killed and of course the small timer is made an example of just to show that TPTB care about us and our kids. When really I think TPTB is part of the problem. I think many of those pulling the strings like to take pleasure in taking the innocence of children. Since many are so dead inside that their soul only wishes to bring destruction on others this is the greatest joy for them.

I agree that there are a great deal of these kids ending up on the list due to split parenting as well though. I think these kids might be added to help blur the lines of those really missing and being used as some sort of disposable product.

Raist

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

I sadly think that you are right about that.

The numbers are huge, really.

Maybe we must search carefully for what really there is behind this disturbing event.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Imagir

As a parent, nothing is more terrifying to me than something happening to my son. I'm an overprotective helicopter parent and will admit it.

With that said...

1). I do think the media talks about this issue. Quite a bit, actually, to the point they get accused of fear mongering. We've become so distrusting of everyone that we're constantly looking over our shoulder for bad guys.

IMO, when it comes to our kids we can't be too careful. I just wanted to point it out that the media does hype it up, though, to the point of paranoia.

2). 800,000 reports is a bit misleading. Even when they break down the statistics, there is about 500,000 unaccounted for. That might mean parents who couldn't find their kids, filed a report, then later found little Johnny who went to the arcade after school with his friends without telling anyone.

Then the article mentions 200,000 end up being with other family members (an unfortunate side effect of our divorce/custody culture). It's technically classified as child abduction for the non custodial parent to take the child.

That leaves 58,000 found with non family members and 115 that 'represent the most serious cases in which the child is abducted by a stranger and killed, held for ransom, or taken with the intention to keep.'

Those 58,000 + 115 are the ones that actually scare me. So the '800,000' is somewhat sensationalist and is along the lines of the fear mongering I mention above.

It makes it sounds as if almost a million children are lost forever every year which obviously isn't the case.

Don't get me wrong- it's awful, it's tragic, it's every parents worst fear. I just wanted to help break down the stats a bit and to mention the fact the media does in fact address it to the point of sensationalism at times.

[edit on 2/6/2010 by AshleyD]

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Imagir

This amber alert went up yesterday.
www.kansascity.com...

I am not sure the story behind it is really true though. It seems odd people would break into a house, beat the guy, take the kid, and ransack the house. I believe the father is lying and is involved or it involves drugs.

I could be wrong and the story could turn out to be right, it just seems fishy to me though.

Raist

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Ashley,

To a point I will agree with the 500,000 unaccounted for you mention. But in some of those cases say 5,000 of them I think there is something that could possibly be just as dangerous involved.

We have all seen the “to catch a predator” show before, or I believe most have anyway. I would say that several of that 500,000 might be kids hanging out with people they do not need to be with possibly being placed in sexual situations but being allowed to go home. This might not seem that bad to some but it certainly is a serious issue that should be considered.

It might seem like an okay thing at first but they might be in a very dangerous “relationship” and on the wrong path to something taking place in the future.

Raist

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

No, I definitely agree with you there. I was also thinking about the possibility that a good chunk of those were runaways (which often doesn't turn out good for the children in the end).

We live in scary times for sure.

I was worried my above post came across as 'Meh' but I hope it didn't because I'm a pretty paranoid parent who is very worried over things like this and nothing in this world angers me more than hearing of a child being hurt, abused, or exploited.

I think it was the 800,000 number that simply caught me off guard. Upon reading that, I did some math in my head and was thinking that in my 30 years of life, that would have been 24,000,000 children disappearing forever but that didn't sound possible so I looked into it to break down the stats.

But whether it is 800,000 or 80 that is still too many.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Now here's the other side of the coin, sometimes the "primary custodial parent" doesn't let the other parent see their children. Believe me, it's more than frustrating, it kills you inside. So in a sense, I do sympathize with the parents that abduct their children from the primary custodial parent. Yes, I realize it is wrong, but this is your child we are talking about.

Imagine, you only get to see your child two days a week, then, your ex decides to move away. Now you don't see your child at all, it's heartbreaking enough to send your child home with your ex after only two days. But then, they move, and you don't get to see your child at all.

Sure, you can go to court, pay the court fees that you don't have the money for, and the court can try and make your ex let you see your child. Get a lawyer, pay them 2k that you don't have because half of your paycheck goes to child support. Then what happens? She still doesn't let you see your child. So whats next? Go back to court? What's the point, they can't really enforce anything, they won't either if you don't have a lawyer.

The police? They don't care. Child Services? If your a man, good freaking luck. I can sympathize with parents that are so heartbroken, and so fed up with the system that they resort to just taking the child. Sure it's wrong, but it's your child, and you would do anything for your child.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

No I did not take your post that way.

I was just pointing out that some of those that are returning home after being labeled as missing might be in dangers we do not know about or could end up as really missing later on.

I wonder about the numbers though how many of those numbers are from the same child being repeatedly posted as missing if that is how it works. If that is the case we need to look at those children with some extra light there might be something more serious going on.

Raist

top topics

<<   2 >>

join