It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tea party opening speaker suggests blacks be kept from voting

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

And I think idiots with the iq of a turnip, like this guy be kept from voting!!!! I have more to say but T&C won't let me!!!!!~

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I read posts here on ATS by people who can clearly read and write but who have not a modicum of understanding of the issues about which they post. I'm not talking about people whose political ideas oppose mine. I'm personally fine with that. I'm talking about people who are clueless and almost criminally mis-informed (if such a thing existed).

Where's the test to weed-out THOSE people?

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Avamarguy

The Tea Partiers (including my group) are anti-incumbent and anti-established parties. Unfortunately, Republicans share many of the same views of the Tea Partiers, and they insist on riding our coattails. In addition, the weaker members of the Tea Parties are influenced by the money, power, and connections of the Republican party, and they are tempted to try and use that Republican connection to further the Tea Party agendas. This will ultimately poison what has been a good movement so far.

The Republicans will probably wind up killing the Tea Party movement if we can't separate ourselves from them more efficiently!

As far as this speaker. I think the literacy test is a great idea, but I was naive about the connection to suffrage in the South. We have many educated black members in our Tea Party, and I know many Black Republicans that are very actively lobbying against Obama in our area.

I hope this speaker was trying to make the point that a popular vote is a terrible idea in our Pop Culture society, and I hope that he wasn't implying race is the issue. I agree that not every moron in the country needs to vote. Not every moron in the country needs to drive, reproduce, or stand in line in front of me at the convenience store! (I wasted 20 minutes this morning trying to buy Coffee and Zingers, while some idiot debated the finer points of investing his Friday paycheck into the lottery system!)

The majority of voters go into that booth with nothing more than a name on their mind! They have no idea of the track record, fundamental beliefs, or agenda that the person with that name is pushing. They only heard a few 30 second TV and Radio spots, and they think they can make a decision based on that!

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Be wary that both parties will try to destroy the movement.

They do not want to lose their power and will pull every frelling trick in the book, including misrepresentation.

They pulled THAT RACE CARD PRETTY QUICK!

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Let me ask a legitimate Q:

If the TPM is a stand alone movement, differentiating themselves from the 2 major parties, then why are they having Republican politicians as the convention speakers? Would they not be better off having true TPM individuals (not affiliated with R or D) do the talking? Otherwise, they simply come across as Republicans in TPM clothing.

[edit on 5-2-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
The TP has been taken over for quite sometime know.

What I dont understand is why the real limited to no fed people havent just joined up with the LP.

It would be much more difficult for the LP to get taken over since their core is long standing and widely known. Not like some from out of nowhere pseudo-movement like the TP.

I cant figure it out.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

The majority of voters go into that booth with nothing more than a name on their mind! They have no idea of the track record, fundamental beliefs, or agenda that the person with that name is pushing. They only heard a few 30 second TV and Radio spots, and they think they can make a decision based on that!

And yet, as a Tea Party member, I am sure you understand that these people, too, need representation as well, a point on which the Founding Fathers were specifically clear.

As frustrating as it is that a majority of the American public is not nearly as informed as they should be, I will always support their right to vote. There should never, ever, be a test to measure a person's "suitability," to cast a vote.

I commend you and others who are using the Tea Party for noble reasons.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Avamarguy
... these people, too, need representation as well, a point on which the Founding Fathers were specifically clear.

As frustrating as it is that a majority of the American public is not nearly as informed as they should be, I will always support their right to vote.

This is an ever growing segment of the population. A population that in many states has already become the majority. And in turn has been voting themselves the contents of the treasury. States like MA, CT, NJ, NY, CA are all bankrupt because of this.

So what do we do when a Representative government fills with the same type of representatives representing the same type of people and effectively turns the nation into one of mob rule by the lowest common denominator?

A household cant be run that way or everyone would end up on the street. How can a state or nation be run that way?

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
if it wasn't taken out of context then the dems paid him to say this.

make no mistake, the tea parties are being infiltrated!

Are you suggesting that a former Republican Congressman and Republican presidential candidate was a "plant" by the Democrats? And that the Tea Party hired a known racist for their opening speaker? And it's because of Democrats? That's a huge imagination you've got there!

Tom Tancredo Remains the Face of Republican Racism

Former Congressman and failed Presidential candidate Tom "I See Brown People" Tancredo yesterday said that Judge Sonia Sotomayor was a member of the Latino KKK, otherwise known as the National Council of La Raza, the oldest political advocacy group for the Latino community. Unmitigated racists, meet your leader.

I agree that the TPM is being taken over by the Republicans, but how does it happen that in your name, this man is INVITED to be a guest speaker and Sarah Palin is hired to speak for $100K? Who are their leaders? If this isn't the TPM, where are they and why are they letting the Republicans take over their name???

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Does this idiot realize that "literacy tests" would have actually helped Obama? Obama did better with highly educated voters than McCain. You will probably find more people with advanced degrees at an Obama rally than at a Tea Party Convention.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
This may seem extreme and perhaps, by some, unfair but there is only way way the TPM should have operated. It should have required that members NOT be affiliated with either of the major parties. Period.

My personal I-AIM non-organization is exactly what it says: Independents /Anti-Incumbency Movement. To be a member you must:

1. Change your voter r3egistration to Independent (aka un-enrolled)
2. Promise to vote in ALL elections (local to national)
3. Vote against ALL incumbents irrespective of party affiliation.

The idea is to:

1. Send a loud and clear message to tPTB that we are DONE with BOTH Republicans and Democrats.

2. No matter who you are, don't unpack everything 'cause your job ends with your first term.

Once they get the message then we can debate policy. But the stranglehold on U.S. politics by career politicians and their leash-holding corporations has GOT to end.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
Does this idiot realize that "literacy tests" would have actually helped Obama? Obama did better with highly educated voters than McCain. You will probably find more people with advanced degrees at an Obama rally than at a Tea Party Convention.

The question at hand is not "advanced degrees" which you mention, but whether or not a person can read and write. Just read and write, that's all.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by octotom

Here we are on a site that claims the motto:

"Deny ignorance."

Yet the OP distorts a public speaker's statement to support pure ignorance!

Hypocrisy at its finest!

So, where is Tancredo quoted as saying that he wants to implement a test before someone can vote so that blacks can't vote?

He isn't. The statement is "projection" by the OP or just blatant falsehood.

Tancredo has long been opposed to illegal immigration, and has co-sponsored "English only" legislation.

That is entirely consistent with our naturalization laws, the Constitution, and common sense.

Asking that a putative citizen or voter be able to read a voters' registration card or ballot has absolutely nothing to do with any race or heritage.

Opponents seize on such simple topics as "literacy" to support their ideal of infantilization of the electorate.

This site and the general populace are doomed to mediocrity when we willingly ignore our plummeting standards.

The OP should be ashamed of such pandering.

Deny ignorance!

jw

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

If the TPM is a stand alone movement, differentiating themselves from the 2 major parties, then why are they having Republican politicians as the convention speakers? Would they not be better off having true TPM individuals (not affiliated with R or D) do the talking? Otherwise, they simply come across as Republicans in TPM clothing.

I totally agree with you. It is a huge tactical mistake!! Originally a couple of Republican speakers were shunned in Texas and in Florida. There was a big consensus on the "stand alone" part of the movement, but convictions have faltered and the Republicans have been there to catch the people as they fall off the bandwagon.

They have started endorsing Republican candidates, and they have started endorsing Fox News casters.

IMHO, the movement is faltering and will die! Too bad though, because it had some wonderful potential. Now it has become the ultra-conservative side of the Republican party. Here in Florida, Governor Crist had a 30 point lead for the Senate race and in 4 months it has fallen to a 2 point deficit, because he was too "moderate" in his praise of Obama, the bailout, and the Healthcare plan. He was just another pretty face that followed the polls, and that is not what people are looking for in a leader these days!

I will vote for someone that disagrees with me, as long as they are doing it with conviction and integrity, but I won't vote for someone who agrees with me just to be popular. I won't even go to dinner with someone who agrees with me just to be popular, why would I let them make decisions for me?

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Welcome one and all to the political theater.

The stage is set, the actors ready and the director is behind the scenes.

The entire arguments is moot!

Citizenship entails the RIGHT to vote. All exceptions to the maxim are political constructs.

Those who vote are citizens, beyond that the politics is just using verbiage, sensationalism, and emotional stimulus to ensure that their dominant position is maintained.

Respectful correction: There is ONE party - not two. The ONE party has two 'clubs,' red and blue. Some club members take turns jumping in and out of the clown suit to ensure that there will never be a viable alternative.

The US political party system is a construct for the continuation of control.

The Tea Party Movement is a marketing effort to make dissenters think they have an opportunity to change the dogma of American show-business politics. It isolates and identifies true threats to the establishment while marginalizing any collective effort of the citizens to create or engender MEANINGFUL change.

Watch how the media uses the TPM..... watch carefully, they are subtle and clever, but their agenda inevitably gives them away...

The establishment will soon characterize this kind of expression as a real problem...... stay focused, teach your children well,

Remember, we survived without corporate media for a very long time.... is it possible to have a citizens movement without it? They will tell you "No." I think that is a lie.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Originally posted by Aggie Man

I totally agree with you. It is a huge tactical mistake!! Originally a couple of Republican speakers were shunned in Texas and in Florida. There was a big consensus on the "stand alone" part of the movement, but convictions have faltered and the Republicans have been there to catch the people as they fall off the bandwagon.

They have started endorsing Republican candidates, and they have started endorsing Fox News casters.

IMHO, the movement is faltering and will die! Too bad though, because it had some wonderful potential. Now it has become the ultra-conservative side of the Republican party. Here in Florida, Governor Crist had a 30 point lead for the Senate race and in 4 months it has fallen to a 2 point deficit, because he was too "moderate" in his praise of Obama, the bailout, and the Healthcare plan. He was just another pretty face that followed the polls, and that is not what people are looking for in a leader these days!

I will vote for someone that disagrees with me, as long as they are doing it with conviction and integrity, but I won't vote for someone who agrees with me just to be popular. I won't even go to dinner with someone who agrees with me just to be popular, why would I let them make decisions for me?

Agreed, all the way around! We need a 3rd option, but it should be done the right way. They need to get their platform and leadership clearly defined and create as many safeguards as possible to prevent infiltration and hijacking of the movement. They should look for fresh faces with inspiring, determined convictions to truly stand apart from the status quo.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Maxmars, you are going to wind up being correct.

The Tea Party movement in my area is a very fickle one! We have the ultra-conservative almost Revolutionary militia type, and they are side by side with ultra-liberal hippy tree-hugging type, and they are all anti-establishment! It is the perfect collection of fringe groups rounded up together to belittle and destroy and return power back to the establishment!

IMHO, the press, Fox News and all the others, are showing the extreme sides of this movement and Republicans and Democrats are both chipping away at the unity of the movement.

Where there was a common goal of removing TPTB, now there is a divide forming from within the movement.

The saddest part to me is that change must take place, and it will take place when we reach the tipping point. If an Independent Political movement was able to take hold and rewrite politics, it would save a lot of heartache and bloodshed.

If the political movement doesn't take place, things will get worse and worse, and certain groups of people will endure it as long as humanly possible and then pockets of violent resistance will pop up. The police and authorities will try to quell the violence as they should, but they will overreact, and when that happens, normal everyday people will have had enough and they will pick a side and the country will go through a drastic change the hard way instead of the easy way. It will be the fault of the press and the established political machines, because they constantly illustrate the extreme edges of the issues, instead of illustrating the commonalities that Unite us as a people.

We all want the same thing. We will fight until we are so beaten and down-trodden that we take the time to listen to one another and discover that we are not so different.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
A basic knowledge test SHOULD be implemented, and those who receive any form of public aid should not be allowed to vote.

There is no reason why someone should be able to cast a vote for a candidate who promises to give them more of other peoples money.

Sales tax is a state issue, and a very large number of people dont pay any form of income tax.

Only those with a vested interest in the country should be voting .

As for the OP inferring this has anything to do with race......stop being such a retard. It has nothing to do with race and everything to do with having educated voters.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by brainwrek
A basic knowledge test SHOULD be implemented, and those who receive any form of public aid should not be allowed to vote.

There is no reason why someone should be able to cast a vote for a candidate who promises to give them more of other peoples money.

Sales tax is a state issue, and a very large number of people dont pay any form of income tax.

Only those with a vested interest in the country should be voting .

As for the OP inferring this has anything to do with race......stop being such a retard. It has nothing to do with race and everything to do with having educated voters.

literacy...
wage earner...
property owner...
debt free individuals...

We could sit here all day long and form opinions on who should/shouldn't be allow to vote; alas, the only thing that matters is citizenship and age...the way it should be...everyone deserves a voice and representation...we can't and shouldn't pick and choose.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Letting the ignorant masses vote certainly hasnt worked out so far.

Once you are lost, do you usually keep driving, or do you stop, figure out where the hell youre at, and make adjustments?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join