It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pluto changing colour

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Apparently Pluto is going red.

uk.news.yahoo.com...

This is interesting, not sure if its been covered before, but it changes the opinion I was given that Pluto is nothing more than more a block of ice, it was declassified in 2006 from an actual planet , but these images show it is more than just a block of ice.

The remarkable color shift, which apparently took place between 2000 and 2002, confirms that Pluto is a dynamic world undergoing dramatic atmospheric changes and not simply a ball of ice and rock, according to scientists at the US space agency.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Any reasons on the change of colour?

I'm waiting for the ususal "planet x on arrival heating it up"

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by cjdust

Oh yes I didnt think of that!! Lets hope people realize it is just Pluto under going atmospheric changes and it is not Planet X.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Green

So much going on in our universe at this time! What an exciting time for those who care to pay attention. So Pluto may be undegoing climate change. I wonder if this event might wise some people up here on earth that they might understand climate change is also underway here, and stop ignoring that we need to prepare as best we can for it.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
reply to post by Mr Green

So Pluto may be undegoing climate change. I wonder if this event might wise some people up here on earth that they might understand climate change is also underway here, and stop ignoring that we need to prepare as best we can for it.

Yes it is quite amazing that Pluto with an average distance from the Sun of a vast 5,906,376,272 km (3,670,052,070 miles) is still able to undergo climate change. Pretty amazing really when you look at the distances, makes you wonder if something actually within Plutos core is making these changes?

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I'm surprised that I was not aware of any changes as I watched the New Horizons spacecraft launch a couple hears ago. Here's the New Horizons current position.

I'm looking forward to it's images of Pluto when it arrives. Here's a great image it took of Jupiter & it's volcanic moon.

Image Download

reply to post by space cadet

Perhaps we have a conspiracy by demoting Pluto how can it possibly have anything in common with the Earth, or in this case global warming.

[edit on 5-2-2010 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Green

Oh yes I didnt think of that!! Lets hope people realize it is just Pluto under going atmospheric changes and it is not Planet X.

I am not saying it's planet x, but to say it's not this or that is kinda presumptuous. If you think it's atmospheric changes then great. But it's still just something you think, not something you know to be fact. I just hope people realize it could be anything and not say it's def not this or that.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
This is not surprising since everyone should know that Pluto is actually a giant Jawbreaker.

Jawbreakers change color when you eat them so something is "licking" Pluto and making it change colors. Basic science if you ask me.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   

It has been known for some time now that due to Pluto's highly elliptical orbit, it experiences changes in "seasons" during its 248-Earth-year-long "Year", becuase it is relatively much closer to the Sun in some points during its orbit than others

In fact, Pluto's orbit is so elliptical that it sometimes moves closer to the Sun than Neptune. There was a time (when Pluto was still a planet) that it was the "8th" planet, and not the 9th, because its orbit was inside that of Neptune. The last time this happened was for 20 years between 1979 and 1999.

Therefore, since 1999 the distance from Pluto to the Sun has been steadily increasing, causing the change in seasons.

Because this orbit creates seasons on Pluto, there are times that materials in the atmosphere change from a gaseous state to a solid state -- i.e., they freeze out of the atmosphere and drop to the surface, leaving behind a thinner atmosphere.

Scientist have known this for a while, although they didn't understand the details until recently. I remember when the "New Horizons" mission was being planned back in 2005 that scientists said they were in a hurry to get to Pluto because they knew that its atmosphere was beginning to freeze.

New Horizons will pass by Pluto in 2015 and hopefully there will still be a lot of gaseous atmosphere to study.

[edit on 2/5/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Interplanetary Climate Change

Definitely more people need to talk about this.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by beebs
Interplanetary Climate Change

Definitely more people need to talk about this.

can you provide more information on what "Interplanetary climate change" is? My computer will not open the link.

What actually IS interplanetary climate change? It sounds very interesting.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by verylowfrequency
I'm surprised that I was not aware of any changes as I watched the New Horizons spacecraft launch a couple hears ago. Here's the New Horizons current position.

I'm looking forward to it's images of Pluto when it arrives. Here's a great image it took of Jupiter & it's volcanic moon.

Image Download

reply to post by space cadet

Perhaps we have a conspiracy by demoting Pluto how can it possibly have anything in common with the Earth, or in this case global warming.

[edit on 5-2-2010 by verylowfrequency]

Many thanks for the links.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by rizla

hang on, are we saying that Pluto was declassified as a Planet because it is actually going through global warming too, and that by demoting it it is removed from any Planetary global warming debate??

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Please direct your comments to this ongoing Thread - posted on Thu Feb 4 2010 @ 05:13 PM

NASA: Pluto is 'not simply a ball of ice and rock' (New Photos)

- Thread closed -

top topics

join