It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goa's tourism boss links sexual assaults to bikinis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Goa's tourism boss links sexual assaults to bikinis

www.globalpost.com

NEW DELHI, India — Once upon a time, the beaches of Goa were known for free love. But as a string of high-profile sexual assaults on tourists culminated in the alleged rape of a 9-year-old Russian girl last week, the idyllic strip of sand along the Arabian Sea is fast gaining a fearful reputation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
A storm involving 'blame the victim' attitudes, combined with similar sentiments being uttered by Goan ministers has highlighted the gulf between East and West yet again

Goa derives huge revenue from Western tourists attracted by the sun, sea and laid-back atmosphere. In fact, Westerners have been flocking to Goa for decades.

Now, however, Goan authorities have cited Western beach-wear as responsible for attacks by locals on female tourists

In contrast to these claims stands the erotic and highly explicit temple art of the native culture which far exceeds anything 'imposed' on the local culture by Western tourists on beaches or in the surf

www.globalpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   

NEW DELHI, India — Once upon a time, the beaches of Goa were known for free love. But as a string of high-profile sexual assaults on tourists culminated in the alleged rape of a 9-year-old Russian girl last week, the idyllic strip of sand along the Arabian Sea is fast gaining a fearful reputation.

The answer? According to the state's ministry of tourism, those cute pre-teens in two-pieces are asking for it.

“You can't blame the locals; they have never seen such women. Foreign tourists must maintain a certain degree of modesty in their clothing. Walking on the beaches half-naked is bound to titillate the senses,” New Delhi's Mail Today newspaper quoted Pamela Mascarhenas, Goa's deputy director of tourism, as saying Friday.

GlobalPost could not reach Mascarhenas for comment. But a spokesman for the Goa tourism department confirmed that — far from marking a departure from official policy — the official's remark echoed previous statements by the tourism minister himself

www.globalpost.com...

The government and local Goans who stand to lose income (if tourism decreases) appear to be sending conflicting messages. For example:

“In India they still morally land the responsibility on the victim if the victim is a woman, because of cultural conditioning,” said 35-year-old Anurashi Shetty, a resident of Donapaula Goa. “[The impression is always that] she must have done something to provoke it. It's a national mindset.”

The Russian embassy has criticised Goan police for failing to protect tourists and has threatened to recommend that Russians (who comprise the second-largest tourist group) steer clear of Goa

That Goan ministers and police have blamed the fact the 9 year old victim wore a bikini which may have led to her rape simply highlights the need for Subcontinental males to learn very quickly to STOP blaming their victims and instead learn some self-discipline re: their own lusts

There have been a series of brutal rapes and murders of Western tourists in Goa, including one where a mother and her four children were killed by a Goan police officer

And then there's this:

A Goan Hindu MP has said that if tourists get raped after midnight it shouldn’t be considered rape.

www.loonwatch.com...

and this:

Panaji, Dec 27 (IANS) A 55-year-old woman was raped and killed along the Arambol beach in Goa, a police officer said Saturday.

The incident took place despite repeated assurances of round the clock patrolling by armed personnel. Security was beefed up in Goa’s 105 km long coastline following intelligence inputs of suspected terror strikes.

The killing has again sparked speculation over the safety of women in Goa.

In February, 15-year-old Scarlett Keeling was found raped and killed at Anjuna beach.

www.thaindian.com...

The family of a 15-year-old British girl found dead on Anjuna beach in Goa is claiming she was raped and murdered and the autopsy report confirms this

Advising the family is Vikram Varma, a Supreme Court lawyer, who says that there is overwhelming evidence that Scarlet was raped and murdered. “There is clear ambiguity in the police behaviour and investigation,” Varma said.

www.hindustantimes.com...

It's my opinion that Westerners are regarded as 'targets'

Online, you'll find numerous instances where Westerners have been raped, bashed, robbed, murdered whilst in the Subcontinent

An Australian man aged in his 60s, for example, was beaten and later died as result of a beating at the hands of Indian waiters

Blogs and comments' sections reveal Westerners experiences at the hands of what they describe as 'arrogant and intimidating' Indian staff at hotels, restaurants, etc.

Indian police have been accused of attacking, raping and robbing Western tourists and also of covering-up crime

Now, in the recent case of the rape of a 9 year old Russian girl, Goan officials have again sought to minimise the crime by blaming the victim and by attempting to take the high-road re: Western bathing costumes and otehr tourist attire

Yet if you search online, on Google images, etc. you will find thousands of R-rated examples of highly-explicit, erotic, temple and other art which leave nothing to the imagination -- and these are largely freely accessible to the same Indians who, it's is claimed, are 'aroused' to the point of rape and murder by the sight of tourists in swimwear enjoying a healthy swim or walk along the beach. And even nine year olds are apparently considered 'to blame' by rapists and Goan officials

Yes, crime, rapes, occur all over the globe and no-one is saying otherwise

But would Western officials blame the victims and their swimwear if these offences occurred to tourists at our holiday resorts ?

(edited for spelling: should haave been 'killed by waiters', not by 'waters')

[edit on 4-2-2010 by Dock9]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Yup,a disturbing trend seems to be forming in India.India needs a hard and introspective look at it self,and its place in the world.

Its one thing to accuse other country's populous of thuggery,but yet it seems to be happening in a much grander scale in their own backyard.

Shame India,shame.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Cygnus_Hunter

Currently, I'm doing my little bit to educate young, male Indian migrants

They comprise about 98% of staff at our local supermarket

They believe women (and perhaps especially the HOST nation's women) to be subservient to them. They expect their host population to be submissive to them

Two or three young Indian staff will walk abreast through the supermarket. Naturally, the aisles are filled with customers, most of them female

The Indians obviously expect Western host-nation females to get out of their way. They make no attempt to stand aside to let female shoppers through. Instead, the Indian youths form a 'block' of their bodies and clearly expect women to step aside for them

Maybe their mothers, aunts, sisters, grandmothers, etc. defer to them in everything in their land

But this is not their land. We, the host population, are not of their culture. We have our own culture and values, modes of behaviour, etc. And as they clearly intend to live here, it is for the migrant population to conform to our ways --- not the reverse

In our culture, we teach our boys courtesy towards women, particularly elderly women such as are being shoved and pushed around by ignorant, arrogant Indian migrant youths

So, I am doing what my government FAILS to do: namely, to acquaint migrants from 3rd world countries that they are now in a FIRST world nation --- and certain modes of behaviour are expected of them, automatic upon their arrival

In FACT, it should be the Indian and Pakistani/Bangladeshi governments who undertake to familiarise their populations with Western mores

It need not be said that Subcontinental and Middle Eastern populations urgently require to lift themselve out of their backward attitudes and behaviours anyway !

And as the zionists have succeeded in perverting, corrupting and compromising Western 'politicians' (spelled 'would sell their mothers for profit' ) into imposing the 3rd world upon an unwilling FIRST world population, some urgently needed adjustment in attitudes and behaviours are clearly required from the migrants

And I'm doing just that. For example, as I make my way through the supermarket (patronised by First-world, host population customers, NOT Indian migrants, it should be noted) and when I see another block of Indian youths swaggering directly in front of me ----- I stand stock still. I look them in the eye. And I stand there.

They have their choice then, don't they ? To knock me flat to the floor and step on me. Or to drop their inbred idiotic and misogynistic arrogance ---- and walk around me

They glare. But they walk around me

It's good for them. They need to learn. And FAST

Not that I ever imagined that I'd need to educate OTHER mothers' sons in basic courtesy, service and standard good manners. After all, I raised my own children years ago

And when I was a child, all children (including skinny, pimpled youths and supermarket staff ) automatically evidenced respect for adults and for women

So I'm not very happy with my government for stuffing thousands of ignorant, ill-bred, dragged-up, dirt-road, goat-riding, uneducated, uncouth, women hating, 3rd world foreigners into every town and suburb in the land. And my vote (and those of millions like me) will send that message loud and clear

And as evidence of my above description of these low-class 3rd worlders, we need only read the quoted comments emerging from the Subcontinent:

' If it occurs after midnight, it's not rape '

[edit on 4-2-2010 by Dock9]

top topics

join