Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

where to go if the SHTF.. survival map

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

someone actually gave this quite a bit of thought. interesting and makes sense, its got to be a hard life up there though, really boring too.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
But what if it is a environmental change that causes the STHF?

You can't predict that and how the weather will change,water ways change course or even migratory patterns of species.

You just have to go with instinct and adapt on the go..

[edit on 4-2-2010 by calcoastseeker]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Evil

Yeah, I don't think I would be advertising that info. Those sparsely populated areas might become a little too crowded. It was good analysis though.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Interesting....... the videographer seems to have put a lot of time into his production, and some good ideas there. I didn't hear him take into account the way in which tornado alley has shifted south and east -- basically right into his green belt, and I didn't see any accounting for hurricane zones. Coastal areas, of course will always be the most densely populated in viable times.

He wrote off areas where people have been surviving for millenia. Cold? Build shelter, farm and hunt and preserve food.

I guess also, that I don't see economic collapse as causing a mass-migration of people. I don't think most are that smart for one thing, and such a thing belongs to people with skills -- skills that have been mostly forgotten or never known by recent generations.

Thanks for sharing this OP.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Just a few thoughts...

The vid. author considered his abilities and took into account those requirements that he personally considered essential. That is not to suggest that others should do the same. The requirements needed for someone else can/will be different based on an array of things. Best option is to know your own strengths/weaknesses and act accordingly.

As for survivable territories in the US - we need only to look to the Native Americans and traditional tribal lands to have an understanding of where to go and how to survive. The coastal areas will be different than the mountain zones which are different than the plains.

We humans are an adaptable bunch... people will figure it out, if they must.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Thanks for that vid, OP.
From that guy's POV, I just happen to live in one of the 'perfect' spots.
However, with the proper knowledge, I believe that a person could survive almost anywhere. I'd hate to be caught in a desert region or an overpopulated urban environment, but it could be done. I think that it would just be harder. Also, being able to hunt would be essential so I'd want to be in a place where there is plenty of game. I'd also think that living on the coasts or near rivers and lakes would be good to take advantage of fishing for food. That's JMO.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I think you are 100% correct. We need not look any further than where Native Americans lived for centuries before us. That is where we will survive.

The video's researcher used an excellent method to pinpoint these areas. However, his frost line segment doesn't give "Man" the credit he deserves. Unless I have to sell my smartwool socks and my xtra-tuff boots to survive, I can deal with the cold. It's all about having the proper gear, and I'm a gearhead.

[edit on 4-2-2010 by The Undertaker]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I think it is HILARIOUS that he suggests the DEEP SOUTH! That is the absolute last place I would want to be! I lived in Tennessee for three years and that was scary enough!

Allinmyhead

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
There are no "best places" to go when SHTF because that word is just a generalization of 10k different scenarios that may/could play out. Of course the best place to be in such a scenario would be "as far away as possible. Since that is not always going to be the case...

Do not let the standard FEMA line of "72 hours" direct your preparedness. Live it as a life style. Identify the most probable threats in your AO and communicate with other like minded and trustworthy people nearby. Always assume destruction of transportation routes and plan for it.

Be prepared for whatever disaster is likely in your AO and assume NO OUTSIDE ASSISTANCE. This includes public water supplies, electricity, natural gas, and gas stations. Water collection and purification are definite musts. Do not get caught up in government cheese handout lines. Have meds and antibiotics. Do not put all your eggs in one basket.

"Money is worth nothing right now, water is the currency."

If you happen to live near "resources" (ie: stores or buildings containing usable supplies), be ready to get out of there in one hell of a hurry- they're looter magnets, and it's obvious that many people will kill for even the smallest (and most useless) things. Islands are great places to visit; I just wouldn't want to live there.

When desperation finally set in, people start moving out to the countryside. This is a common theme in disasters. In many cases those on the outskirts of ground zero have 2-4 days to brace and 4 days before you are over run. The further out you are the better but, prepare for the masses and look at moving out further if you are close enough for foot traffic to reach you. This might change in an all over collapse, but even then it is going to be worse in metro areas and will still apply to some extent.

Heading out for the provinces to seek shelter with friends or relatives, many simply walked with bags on their heads and shoulders. Others packed cars and trucks with possessions, lining up for hours at gasoline stations to fill up. "I have waited for two days, but nothing has arrived, not even a bottle of water."

The majority of people are not prepared for anything. What can be expected is that most people will simply be waiting for someone to bring them food and water. When that does not happen fast enough (or at all) the looting begins. Now suppose a major LONG TERM disaster happens in the States, where there may not be any hope of anyone bringing anybody any food or water. Combined with the fact that people here are so used to getting what they want when they want it. Expect anarchy to ensue. The reason we discuss firearms a lot is that everything else we have is worthless without them.

When a SHTF scenario plays out, the only person you will be able to rely on is you. Don't allow yourself to be easy prey, especially when you can prepare on the cheap right now. Protect what you love.

new topics

top topics

join