It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hitler's Mein Kampf to go on sale in Germany - first time in 70 years

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Hitler's Mein Kampf to go on sale in Germany - first time in 70 years

www.dailymail.co.uk

Adolf Hitler's autobiography Mein Kampf (My Struggle) is to be re-published in Germany after being banned there since the end of the Second World War.

The book's copyright expires in 2015.

The dissemination of Nazi philosophy in Germany is punishable by fines and imprisonment. Munich's Institute of Contemporary History hopes an 'annotated version' with historical notes, to be used in schools & colleges will escape punishment
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Will be regarded by some as a controversial issue, although the article states that the book has been available around the world since it was written

The book is not available in shops or libraries however

Mein Kampf became a better seller than the Bible, during the Third Reich

Jewish groups say they will support the project to make the book available to schools and colleges

Hitler wrote the book during his imprisonment in 1924

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
It's a book. What is the problem?

The Bible, Tanakh, and Qur'an have killed probably hundreds of times more people than Mein Kampf could ever dream of.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Great...banning books in the age of the internet only makes people want to read it more...and your 3 clicks away to an electronic version wherever you are...

Censorship is morally wrong...any flow of information (no matter how trashy the rag) should be considered a society sin.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I am glad to see it being released in Germany .

Personally I feel it should be required reading for any one graduating High school .

After reading it you get a glimpse in the mind of a brilliant political genius a mad man and a mass murderer all rolled into one .

He used his observations of the politicians drive to get reelected that over shadowed there choice to do the right thing He used that and other observations to twist the German Government to his will .

His oratory skills incited people to cling to his ideas. He knew how to work a crowd to his benefit . Couple that with how well he knew politicians only cared about reelection it was a win win situation for him.

After reading this book you can see how he twisted the democratic Germany to become Hitlers Nazi Germany . One thing you can learn from it And The rise of the Third Reich is how well propaganda works . In the hands of a master .

The down side of me reading Mein Kampf is I look more closely at politicians speeches and Governmental actions in light of the knowledge of how well people can twist the truth and twist politics to serve a political agendas .

The mistakes of the past should never be forgotten lest we go threw them all over again .

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi

The Bible, Tanakh, and Qur'an have killed probably hundreds of times more people than Mein Kampf could ever dream of.

Too true. Unless you also count Al Gore's book "Inconvenient Truth"? Cause that book can literally bore anyone to death...! o_O

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
i don't see the big deal......you can buy the Qur'an there. It's an "evil" book too. Censorship of books of this nature does make people want to read it even more.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Lostinthedarkness

After reading it you get a glimpse in the mind of a brilliant political genius a mad man and a mass murderer all rolled into one .

You just described 99% of American politicians . All super powers act the same, the political leader become too arrogant. Hitler was one of them, it was unfortunate he lost the war, that is why there is so much hate towards him.

I don't care how many people he has killed etc. I'm sure if he was alive he would have had an excuse for those killings, similar to US politicians who have excuses for all the killings around the world.

Back then it was Jews, now its Muslims.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
If a book responsible for more war, death, hate, violence, and the enslavement of man like The Bible is freely available. Why shouldn't Mein Kampf be?

You know the old saying "If you ignore history..."

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism
reply to post by Lostinthedarkness

You just described 99% of American politicians . All super powers act the same, the political leader become too arrogant. Hitler was one of them, it was unfortunate he lost the war, that is why there is so much hate towards him.

I don't care how many people he has killed etc. I'm sure if he was alive he would have had an excuse for those killings, similar to US politicians who have excuses for all the killings around the world.

Back then it was Jews, now its Muslims.

it's unfortunate that Hitler lost the war? really? oh boy....

actually Mein Kampf isn't really even that good of a read. I personally like the writings of Ho Chi Mingh better. But thats apples and oranges I suppose

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Are you suggesting we should ban all books because some maniac doesn't have the brain to make his own decision?

Or are you suggesting we should unban all books because there will always be some maniac who will follow even a fantasy book in to committing a violent act of crime.

Yeah hard decision isn't it, it is way easier to give someone a star for making such a smart ass comment.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I read this book a couple of years ago.
Its a struggle READING it.
Mindless babble most of the time with some intelligent quotes/statements thrown in now and then for good measure.

Its not what one would expect from the man who single handedly changed the world..

The only thing I took away from the book?

Is that next time I read meinkempf I wont read it daily on my commute home from work on the train.
wierd looks all over!

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   

One of the STUPIDEST quotes ever. Just like guns kill people, huh, not the people behind the gun?

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Totalstranger

Yeah heard of "winners write history". You will see what evil would be projected at the face of the US once it loses its rank as a world super power. Germany got completely destroyed that is why the whole thing had to be written, but from the Allies point of view.

USSR just fell out of its rank due to Afghanistan, even though it didn't completely get destroyed you can read its history from Western point of view which demeans it completely, for example in Afghanistan, what really happened.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

bullets kill , guns might with a bit more effort but its messy.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I found reading Mein Kampf so tedious to read I barely finished it. The interesting parts are few and far between.

Adolf Hitler might have been a great speaker but he was not much of a writer.

The only reason Mein Kampf sold so many copies in Germany back then is because Hitler required everyone to own the book and read it.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by elaine

i thought it became a best seller cause of the PR behind the book ,

he tried after all to overtake the goverment and was put in jail for that ,

its not like it wasent headliine news for its time in the papers,

same stunt can be made to day to sell books ,

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Yeah hard decision isn't it

Probably for you since you completely misunderstood my post.

My point was quite simple, actually: Mein Kampf is banned because of who it was written by and what he eventually did. Meanwhile, religious books have CAUSED the atrocities that have killed many times more people than Hitler did.

As a side note, I'm sorry for you that blue stars on a web page are significant in your world.

Originally posted by sos37
One of the STUPIDEST quotes ever. Just like guns kill people, huh, not the people behind the gun?

Religion has inspired the killing of millions of people throughout history. I challenge you to try to logically argue that fact.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Yeah hard decision isn't it

Probably for you since you completely misunderstood my post.

My point was quite simple, actually: Mein Kampf is banned because of who it was written by and what he eventually did. Meanwhile, religious books have CAUSED the atrocities that have killed many times more people than Hitler did.

How can a BOOK cause atrocities when a book doesn't have a will to do anything but to be read.

As a side note, I'm sorry for you that blue stars on a web page are significant in your world.

If it was I would post things which people would agree with, to give an example of such an individual would be you.

Religion has inspired the killing of millions of people throughout history. I challenge you to try to logically argue that fact.

Inspiration can be obtained not just from a religious book but also from a fantasy book. Inspiration can be obtained from movies, video games, novels, articles, documentaries, historical figures, etc.

I can already see what type of figure you are and what your slogan would be " religion, the root of all evil". Is my assumption correct?

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I started reading Mein Kampf out of pure curiosity about a decade ago... but I kind of lost interest because it was in PDF form and I didn't want to spend that much time at my computer. I was surprised as it was rather interesting when put into historical context.

I think it should be available in print everywhere. Banning books is just crazy.

IRM

top topics

<<   2 >>

join