It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSF Teams with Microsoft to Move Scientific Research into the Cloud

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   

NSF Teams with Microsoft to Move Scientific Research into the Cloud

www.scientificamerican.com

Microsoft and the National Science Foundation (NSF) on Thursday announced plans to offer researchers and research groups selected through the agency's merit review process free access to computer servers. Microsoft will host the computing infrastructure at its data centers, giving the researchers access to storage, computational and networking resources via the Internet for a period of three years.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Wave of the future! When everyone on the planet can just access "the Cloud" instead of paying for service it will change things quite a bit! Interesting to see it going mainstream and public more than it has already.

Microsoft will be allowing NSF to use its Windows Azure platform, and keep all the information on Microsoft's servers.

www.scientificamerican.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Yea great just what I wanted all my stuff stored on a remote server somewhere. Woohoo.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by gYvMessanger
Yea great just what I wanted all my stuff stored on a remote server somewhere. Woohoo.

It already is, dude. You're on the internet. You have an account on ATS. Chances are you do online banking or get email. You would be surprised what's stored about you right now on some mainframe somewhere.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
No man its significantly different.

Leaving a trail of data in my cyber wake is one thing. Having to use limited prescribed monitored channels for EVERYTHING I do on my PC is quite another.

Now for some business applications Cloud systems are a good idea. I dont want them anywhere near my personal pc though, or at the very least I want to ensure I still have a reasonable choice in 10-20 years time.

top topics

join