It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HARRP Antenna in Kansas ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
While driving thru Kansas recently I came across an Antenna Array ....did some digging and found this.....

Super Dual Auroral Radar Network (SuperDARN) is what is being called.Looks like a HARRP project.

It's the university closest to the geographic center of the United States, and that's why Virginia Tech

approached Fort Hays State University to join it in a partnership on a giant radar system.

That system, already under construction along Golf Course Road southwest of Hays, was announced Thursday by

FHSU President Edward H. Hammond.

The radar system is part of a project that will monitor space weather.

As a partner, FHSU will have a leg up, if you will, on the ability to attract students and faculty who

specialize in such endeavors.

Other than the cost of computers and the salary of an intern, all of the expense is being borne by the

National Science Foundation.

The FHSU antennas -- two of which will be built -- will be part of the worldwide Super Dual Auroral Radar

Network -- SuperDARN.

Hammond made the announcement at a press conference in the lobby of Tomanek Hall, home to the university's

science departments.

John Heinrichs, chairman of the university's geoscience department, is thrilled with the partnership.

In announcing the project, Hammond said the radar system will look at space weather, responsible for the

northern lights among other things. FHSU will join the ranks of Dartmouth, the University of Alaska and Johns

Hopkins in getting a SuperDARN installation.

"Virginia Tech is leading the way in a 10-year project funded by the National Science Foundation," he said.

Hammond was especially proud to announce FHSU will have two such systems, one aimed slightly northeast while

the other will be aimed slightly northwest.

Already, Commercial Builders has been pouring a series of concrete pillars that ultimately will hold a

network of two-dozen, 56-foot-tall poles that will support wires over 42-foot gaps. Rather than being housed

in a dome-shaped facility like a Doppler system to monitor weather, the SuperDARN will look more like a

vertical clothes line.

Construction will be done in three phases, Hammond said, with the two remaining phases still to be bid.

Likely, the radars will be operational by the end of the year.

"Our location in the center of the United States actually helped us out on this one," Heinrichs said of

Virginia Tech's decision to approach FHSU. "Plus, we have land available."

The radar systems will be located on land already owned by FHSU.

Radar waves will be sent aloft, he said, into the ionosphere, the upper part of the atmosphere.

"The main goal of the installation is to map the plasma motion over central North America," Heinrichs said in

a statement. "Ionospheric plasma circulates over the entire globe in response to interaction of the solar

wind with earth's magnetic field."

That plasma, he said, moves much like a low-pressure system affecting the nation's weather.

"It's not well understood what's moving that ionosphere," Heinrichs said.

Information obtained from radar ultimately will be correlated with weather events near the earth's surface.

Data obtained by the FHSU radar system will be uploaded into the Virginia Tech computer system, but students

and faculty here will have access.

"This will open the door for a whole new area of research for Fort Hays State University," Hammond said.

I went and added these two comments from this article. Seems that afew folks are aware.

2 comment(s) found
Not the Closest University to the US Center: 8/29/2009
Geographic Center 39°50' . 98°35' is actually closer to UN-Kearney than Fort Hays.
(Posted by: No Cigar)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SPACE RADAR: 8/29/2009
For crying out loud. Didn't we learn our lesson with wind mills and CERN created mini black holes? But go ahead FHSU, beam radar waves into the ionosphere and destroy the universe right here western Kansas

Pics

www.springerlink.com...

Abstract The Super Dual Auroral Radar Network (SuperDARN) has been operating as an international co-

operative organization for over 10 years. The network has now grown so that the fields of view of its 18

radars cover the majority of the northern and southern hemisphere polar ionospheres. SuperDARN has been

successful in addressing a wide range of scientific questions concerning processes in the magnetosphere,

ionosphere, thermosphere, and mesosphere, as well as general plasma physics questions. We commence this paper

with a historical introduction to SuperDARN. Following this, we review the science performed by SuperDARN

over the last 10 years covering the areas of ionospheric convection, field-aligned currents, magnetic

reconnection, substorms, MHD waves, the neutral atmosphere, and E-region ionospheric irregularities. In

addition, we provide an up-to-date description of the current network, as well as the analysis techniques

available for use with the data from the radars. We conclude the paper with a discussion of the future of

SuperDARN, its expansion, and new science opportunities

Really intrested in what you all think.

[edit on 4-2-2010 by Grayelf2009]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Well well, very nice find you got there.

A diamond in the rough?

The photos do scream HAARP.

I will read into this documentation you linked and see what they claim about it, from their technical perspective.

Looks like you scored big time here though, Good work GrayElf2009!!

S+F

I will post later after I read through some of this stuff.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I'm actually going to Hays in a couple days, now you've given me something to do when I get there.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
OOh noes! Virginia tech are evil HAARP mongers!

For crying out loud. Didn't we learn our lesson with wind mills and CERN created mini black holes? But go ahead FHSU, beam radar waves into the ionosphere and destroy the universe right here western Kansas

And what the hell does wind mills CERN have to do with all this??

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Yeah when I first seen this thing...( will try to get a pic tomorrow) I thought to myself no way did they put one of those things here. And pointed directly at the city of Hays. Its smaller compared to the one in Alaska and looks a little different. Like many folks , I don't beleive nothing that the gov says anymore Could be nothing but I want to make sure ATS'ers have a look at it.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tgautier13
I'm actually going to Hays in a couple days, now you've given me something to do when I get there.

It on GolfCourse RD , one mile west of Hays Kansas.

Watch out for farmers , people can't drive worth a hoot and most are usually drinking,

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
OOh noes! Virginia tech are evil HAARP mongers!

And what the hell does wind mills CERN have to do with all this??

I don't know , thats why I posted it . Wanted to find out all I can about this new antenna array. I allways read your post and value your opinions.

[edit on 6-2-2010 by Grayelf2009]

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Grayelf2009

Perhaps a visit or a phone call to the Universities involved will give you the answers you seek.

Providing you don't barge in Jesse Ventura style, I'm sure they'll be glad to help out.

[edit on 6/2/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Grayelf2009

No. HAARP's main equipment is an ionospheric heating array, whereas this has nothing to do with ionospheric heating. True, SuperDARN is concerned with studying the ionosphere, but not in the same ways as HAARP, and not for the same reasons (HAARP is concerned with communications and surveillance, SuperDARN is concerned with simply measuring conditions in the ionosphere and upper atmosphere.

reply to post by muzzleflash

The photos might "scream" HAARP but the actual description of the arrays don't. That's why most folks don't rely on photos of antennae to figure out what they'll be used for.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Anybody else reminded of the witch scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail when you see these HAARP threads?

Same 'logic', or lack of, at work in both cases.

top topics

join