It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Growing Christian Separatist Movement in US

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 09:15 AM
link   
The largest church in my area (20,000 members) has advocated on the pulpit that it's congregation vote as a block. For Canada this is new. I expect the end run will be to run a slate of candidates (give it 10 years).

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   
GWB and his crew would never let this happen. They are happy misleading the world into thinking that 'Christians' are war-mongering idiots who do not value life nor respect it.

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Wow ... First I've heard of something like this!

Do they really need to go that far? Or even try too.. Obviously they're not going to succeed in doing this.

Btw, TC or anyone else who feel's the same way...

America was not founded on christianity.

You can proclaim it was all you'd like, but you can not rewrite history just because you feel like it.

Read this -> www.earlyamerica.com...

Read the first amendment.

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Read the first commandment.

(20:3) "Do not have any gods before Me. Do not represent (such gods) by any carved statue or picture or anything in the heaven above or the earth below or in the water below the land. Do not bow down to or worship them."

These two contradict each other. Obviously the first amendment was not founded on a christian belief system. Hell, the fact alone of the declaration of independence specificly stating that the country was NOT founded on the christian religion should be a big give away for anyone.

Basicly, what this group is doing IMO or attempting to do, is wrong. No, it won't affect me all that much, but if they're allowed to succeed.. What would make them think to just stop there? Next thing you know, they're taking over another place, then another, then another etc etc etc. This country wasn't created specificly for them, it was created for ALL religous belief's.

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Unfortunately, absolutist religious beliefs, by their very definition, require violence. When you believe that your faith is the only true faith, you will eventually come to a point where violence is not only acceptable, but necessary.

I've always used the example of a person who believes that anybody who does not accept their faith is doomed to an eternity in Hell. The people next door raise their children in a different religion. How much worse is what the neighbors are doing than simple child abuse? They're guaranteeing that their poor children will suffer for an eternity! How can they be allowed to do this to helpless children?

We've seen this played out in radical Islam and extreme fundamentalist Christianity. Doctors murdered, women's medical clinics bombed, the Oklahoma City Federal Building.

This happens not because there is something inherantly violent about a particular religious belief (despite what the anti-Muslim haters say), but rather because people who crave violence know they can easily manipulate extremist believers into becoming violent.

The idea of a separatist community made up only of members of a certain religion is completely anti-American. This is the very opposite of what our Founding Fathers created on this continent. It's a great example of just how much the theofascists on the "Religious Right" hate what America stands for.

It's really time for radical Islamists, Zionists and fanatic Christians to be chased back under the rock from which they came. By using the zeal of fundamentalists to gain political power, the Right Wing has convinced these people that they own this country. It is our job in the reality-based community, to show that's just not so.

One weapon in the fight against Religious Fanaticism is Ridicule. Despite the efforts of the political correctness police, I think simply shining a light on the madness can go a long way toward opening the eyes of the normally tolerant Americans to these dangerous groups.

[edit on 3/14/2006 by vuoto]

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   
There are so many reasons why this will never happen, but I'd like to point out just how un-Christian the whole idea is. First though, some inaccuracies in the linked text:

from the wnd article:

Children may not pray in our schools

There's nothing preventing children from praying in public schools. Moreover, there is nothing preventing private schools from leading their students in prayer.

Sodomy is now legal and celebrated as 'diversity' rather than perversion

That sodomy is a "perversion" is a Christian point of view (not even shared by all Christians).

Preaching Christianity will soon be outlawed as 'hate speech'

Eh? I'm not sure what they mean by this. This type of statement is simply designed to incite, I don't think preaching Christianity will be outlawed, in fact, it is protected by the U.S. Constitution.

Gay marriage will be foisted upon us in the very near future

People will be forced to marry members of the same sex? I doubt it.

Anyway, back to my original point. Though I usually can't stand the phrase, I think a WWJD? is appropriate here. When faced with an oppressive government, did Jesus gather up all the "believers" and isolate them in a religious commune in the desert? Of course not: Christianity has a strong doctrine of engagement with the world, not of isolation. I think most Christians will see this idea as "giving up" on the rest of the world, and there just won't be much real interest in it.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saltman
Anyway, back to my original point. Though I usually can't stand the phrase, I think a WWJD? is appropriate here. When faced with an oppressive government, did Jesus gather up all the "believers" and isolate them in a religious commune in the desert? Of course not: Christianity has a strong doctrine of engagement with the world, not of isolation. I think most Christians will see this idea as "giving up" on the rest of the world, and there just won't be much real interest in it.

Christians are commanded to be IN the world but not OF it. In other words, Christians are supposed to live and lead by example. A real Christian can share their beliefs without being pushy about it.

Whever I see the WWJD question, I am always reminded of Jesus driving the money changers out of the temple. He was angry that His house had been turned into a den of thieves. This just prove that even Jesus believed in separation of church and state.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Seems to me like theres some serious cracks in american society. We always talk about instability in other countries but this could lead to a future civil war/ revolution.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeoQuest
Seems to me like theres some serious cracks in american society. We always talk about instability in other countries but this could lead to a future civil war/ revolution.

Given the history of christianity, I wouldn't be all that surprised.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join