It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government Tax Revenue 2009....must look...we need to increase tariffs on imports!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
In 1909, tariffs contributed to almost HALF of our country's tax revenue....now it is ONE PERCENT. Yes...ONE PERCENT.

Tariffs Are One Percent of American Tax Revenue, But Once Were Half

YEAR 1909 2009

Total $604 million $2.2 trillion
Income taxes $0 $972 billion
Payroll taxes $0 $908 billion
Corporate taxes $0 $180 billion
Excise taxes* $249 million $71 billion
Estate taxes $0 $26 billion
Tariffs $301 million $24 billion
Other $54 million $44 billion

www.ppionline.org...

WOW. We make a measly 24 billion in TARIFFS? Corporate taxes are only 180 BILLION? WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But though taxation generally has changed, the tariff system has not. Now a small part of the tax system, tariffs nonetheless remain the government's most effective tax on want, as it still relies on clothes, shoes, and food for most of its money. Of last year's $26 billion in tariff revenue, clothes brought in $9.5 billion. Shoes added $1.9 billion, about the same as cars; household linens and luggage came in at a billion each. Altogether, low-cost household necessities account for about 6 percent of imports, but raise 60 percent of tariff money; and foods -- mainly orange juice, cheese, and canned tuna -- raise another half billion. Further tilting tariff policy against poor families, the system taxes the cheapest products most heavily: acrylic sweaters are taxed at 32 percent, and cashmeres at 4 percent; women's polyester underwear is taxed at 16 percent, but 0.9 percent on silks; 48 percent tax on cheap sneakers, but 8.5 percent on leather dress shoes; and so on. A triviality for most Americans, the tariff system likely costs single-mother families (whose clothing and food bills are highest relative to income) a week's salary each year, more than any tax but the payroll tax, as it quietly raises prices for life necessities.

But as 2009 passes, tariffs (at least the light-industry tariffs that bring in the most money) have mostly lost their power to affect employment and trade flows, and are reverting instead to their 18th-century origins as excise taxes whose sole function is to raise money. In 1970, the four big high-tariff industries -- clothes, shoes, linens, and luggage -- accounted for 1.7 million out of the 58 million private-sector U.S. jobs. By 1980, they were down to 1.4 million; then 1.0 million in 1990, 0.6 million in 2000, 0.35 million by the end of the textile quota system in 2004, and now 0.22 million out of 112 million private-sector jobs.

I've made it no secret what I want to do. I've posted it all over ATS countless times. WE NEED TO INCREASE OUR TARIFFS ON IMPORTS. Yes, it will increase prices....but it will be GOOD INFLATION....not inflation caused by destroying the value of our money!! Plus it gives small businesses a chance to compete...and also is really a tax on TRANS-NATIONAL CORPORATIONS.

This is the only way I see out of this. Simple tax cuts across the board will not work. Cutting corporate taxes OBVIOUSLY WILL NOT WORK.

Anyway...as you can see in the data....we've gone from decreasing our tariff income to increasing taxes on pretty much EVERYONE ELSE.

THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED OR OUR COUNTRY IS SCREWED!!!!!!!!

All of our money is leaving the country because we don't make anything anymore.....we can't compete with international corporations!!!! We aren't protecting our wages either.

Please S/F this so it gets as much attention as it can. If anyone else has a better idea....please post it!

[edit on 4-2-2010 by David9176]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
There are many problems to this. For starters, the US is part of the WTO. The WTO will likely frown on the tariffs you are proposing.

We should also keep in mind the US and its tax laws are much different than they were 100 years ago. Today, most of the US tax revenue comes from corporate and personal income taxes. In yesteryear, these sources of income were virtually non-existent.

100 years ago, the federal government was relatively small. It did not need much revenue. Today, the federal government is massive. It needs much more money.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Do you have a better solution?

Anyone?

No one wants to end the wars, the corporate contracts...no one wants to lose their SS, Medicare, and unemployment benefits....and I certainly don't want our country to crumble. I want a good future for my kid and right now it's looks terribly bleak.

Prices are going to continue to go up because we can't get our debt under control...we are running out of time.

I'm listening if anyone has a better solution.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Nooo. So wrong...

Countries wont want to trade with us if it's so expensive. Gosh...why do you think the government has to do all the work on our economy? Why does the government have to control what comes in and out of our country? Do you not think that individuals are capable of making their own economic system.

Raising tariffs will raise prices and drive out any trading with foreign countries.

We aren't the only country for people to trade with...so they will be just say "Oh, that expensive. Lets go to Canada instead."

Gosh...you know what would help our economy (budget and all)? Getting the government OUT OF OUR BUSINESS. More government intervention means bad economy. Let people be free to purchase and sell what they want how they want. Stop going to government to solve all your problems.

oh yeah...and my answer to balancing the budget --- STOP SPENDING MONEY WE DON'T HAVE. Cut stupid agencies like D of Education and D of Energy. Get out of the wars we are fighting illegally. That would help our budget.

And when our idiot politicians are deciding if they should spend money on something, they should look at our debt and say "Oh we don't have the money SO WE CAN'T SPEND." Lord...we can't spend money we don't even have.

[edit on 4-2-2010 by Jibblin]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
If tomorrow industrialized nations stopped buying from the third world, stopped all aid programs, stopped all medical help programs, stopped accepting asylum candidates, and continued their own decline in breeding, the problem would be for the most part solved. This is done not by taking violent action against others, but by simply stopping our current destructive practices. Smart societies would further structure themselves to reward their best people, not just their most profit-making, and through that would achieve a greater degree of population quality and awareness.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Jibblin

Why does the government have to control what comes in and out of our country? Do you not think that individuals are capable of making their own economic system.

We've had tariffs since 1828 and even libertarians support tariffs.

Getting the government OUT OF OUR BUSINESS. More government intervention means bad economy. Let people be free to purchase and sell what they want how they want. Stop going to government to solve all your problems.

THE GOVERNMENT SUPPLIES THE MONEY. Without money their is no business. Money is a way for others to capitalize on another's labor and contribution to society. And I'm sorry...where did I state that I'm looking for the government to solve all of my problems?

Soon it's not going to matter anymore anyway at this rate. Once to many people lose their jobs and homes....seeing their unemployment benefits disappear....it's going to get ugly....really ugly.

ANd yes...I want to pull ALL of our troops home. That cuts the deficit largely. Unfortunately..the same people that are complaining about the deficit are supporting the debt the war is putting us in.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Here is how I see it.

Raising tariffs is THE SAME as raising taxes for American companies. And whether you think raising taxes is positive or negative, it will do the same for foreign trade as raising taxes does for domestic companies.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Jibblin

Raising tariffs is THE SAME as raising taxes for American companies. And whether you think raising taxes is positive or negative, it will do the same for foreign trade as raising taxes does for domestic companies.

But it gives small businesses a chance to be competitive against international corporations...many of those that used to be solely American corporations. Everyone always states that small business pulls the economy out of recession...well if they can't compete it won't happen.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I agree Dave...

I strongly disagree with other people who think that the only way to make a strong economy is by letting big business do what it likes. We are selling our country out,
literally, in the name of this "leave business alone" non sense, we will not only out source
all of our jobs, but our capital too. This Notion of "don't tread on THEM" (never mind my own well being) is a farce and a joke. The tax rate for the top 1% was 90% as you know, tariffs were much higher and this nation was typically in the black, even though
we had to pay for WWII and the Marshall plan ETC...

It does NOT take a scientist or a person without a helmut to make the correlation.
Since RR started this, this countries economy gets worse and worse. I am not even speaking politically, I am talking practically, it is clear... not to mention NAFTA and all the other garbage.

At the end of the day I am sad for this nation, if this myth does NOT die, this country will, we are probably dead and unaware of it yet.

There is a difference between an over reaching government and a government that
is ineffectual by doing nothing. I hope some of you can stop be complicit in this
non sense, it is not the definition of freedom to be made hungry by someone else's stubborn ass ideas. Open you #@!#!@ eyes people, putting the current policies, (non existent tariffs and pure imports) into hyper drive is a criminally insane proposition.

[edit on 4-2-2010 by Janky Red]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Didn't Obama propose this in his State of the Union Speech? Whether or not it will actually happen, I do not know but I believe he stated this is something he wanted to do.

Also, since so many *AMERICAN* companies outsource (which is what Obama was focusing on in context), I wouldn't toss the idea aside just because we don't want to lose business. This would be a way of sending a message to them to bring the jobs back here to support the American worker.

The above is at least what I personally understood from his speech. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
Didn't Obama propose this in his State of the Union Speech? Whether or not it will actually happen, I do not know but I believe he stated this is something he wanted to do.

Also, since so many *AMERICAN* companies outsource (which is what Obama was focusing on in context), I wouldn't toss the idea aside just because we don't want to lose business. This would be a way of sending a message to them to bring the jobs back here to support the American worker.

The above is at least what I personally understood from his speech. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

HAPPY (pre) valentines Ashley

I think he might have mentioned it, I am not sure.

I feel very strongly that we need too do this for the sake of this nation.
At some point we are going to be in some awful trouble, the likes of which we cannot
imagine at this point, IF we do not address the outsourcing of our capital base.
We will be a nation of Super Billionaires and dumbfounded peasants...
There is no ramped up variation of this current practice that will have the opposite effect IMO.

If Obama does increase tariffs and fix the trade deficit I will eat my shoe, therefore I am hoping I know the flavorful texture of nike at least once in my lifetime.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

At the end of the day I am sad for this nation, if this myth does NOT die, this country will, we are probably dead and unaware of it yet.

JR...I'm afraid we are going down.

For as much as we are all angry at the system...almost everyone is woefully dependent on it..whether they realize it or not.

What else is there to do? Prices are going to go up regardless due to our deficit so that argument that people are making is completely pointless.

People are wanting to cut SS and medicare...but if that happens there will be riots...not to mention many of the elderly are completely reliant on both....yet some of the same people wanting this are those who were screaming about a "death panel."

Sometimes I think those with the most money are walking a very fine line. Soon, if we continue on this pace....they will be the ones standing along with the very victims they now criticize.

I don't know why I bother anymore. Everyone will complain...but no one wants to make a "realistic" approach to any of this.

I don't think people..even on ATS...realize what is headed our way. The poor FAR outnumber the rich.....and the numbers of poor are growing. The middle class is shrinking.

Eventually it's the string will snap and all hell is going to break lose...imo.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

This would be a way of sending a message to them to bring the jobs back here to support the American worker.

Exactly Ashley. For example...Toyota just announced it is closing a plant in Cali...shifting 5000 jobs BACK to Japan to help out their own country's economy. Notice how nothing like that happens in the USA?

These big corporations try to act like they care...but they don't. They want across the board tax cuts....but that really won't help small businesses. They still will not be able to compete with international corporations because our tariffs are far too low. Tariffs is the only real thing that protects American workers wages....not to mention the uniqueness of our nation.

I watch the news pretty much every night. How often do I see stories about people who are struggling...or actually having conversations with them? Hardly ever. Instead it's all about Wall Street and politics.

Obama campaigned on being anti-Nafta...and I agreed with him on that...but he hasn't backed it up at all.

[edit on 4-2-2010 by David9176]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

JR...I'm afraid we are going down.

For as much as we are all angry at the system...almost everyone is woefully dependent on it..whether they realize it or not.

What else is there to do? Prices are going to go up regardless due to our deficit so that argument that people are making is completely pointless.

People are wanting to cut SS and medicare...but if that happens there will be riots...not to mention many of the elderly are completely reliant on both....yet some of the same people wanting this are those who were screaming about a "death panel."

Sometimes I think those with the most money are walking a very fine line. Soon, if we continue on this pace....they will be the ones standing along with the very victims they now criticize.

I don't know why I bother anymore. Everyone will complain...but no one wants to make a "realistic" approach to any of this.

I don't think people..even on ATS...realize what is headed our way. The poor FAR outnumber the rich.....and the numbers of poor are growing. The middle class is shrinking.

Eventually it's the string will snap and all hell is going to break lose...imo.

well bud that is what a good myth is for... Like the food riots in GB in the 1600's
were they had the hungry fighting the hungry fighting for the kings honor.
When it breaks lose some are going to blame that government did too much, others will state it sat by and did nothing. I believe the second, a corporation has NO allegiance to me, therefore I do expect it will look out for my well being. Further more I cannot vote
or effect HORRIBLE business practices with the private sector. I am under no illusion,
I am not a billionaire, this is my country and I do depend on our government to behave sensibly, I am not ashamed to admit such a weakness.

At some point we are going to have to see who is for this country, its government and who are for the private interests. There is a whole lot of double logic going around,
to fix the economy you need to end tariffs, tax's etc... That this will somehow create reform
WE HAVE BEEN DOING IT, more than any other time in this nations history
I believe. The governments income is the middle class, as is the ELITES. Once they clean us out they will go spread the myth to China or some other place. I honestly think if PUBLIC opinion does not change, this will never change.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Once they clean us out they will go spread the myth to China or some other place. I honestly think if PUBLIC opinion does not change, this will never change.

Many of these corporations are already working in unison with China. It's amazing isn't? All of this talk about government take over...yet THESE SAME CORPORATIONS who are screaming about it are working hand in hand with a COMMUNIST COUNTRY.

People need to THINK and let go of the rhetoric!

BTW...a month ago or so...I was watching Mr. O'Reilly when he had Glen Beck on as a guest...Mr. Anti-tax.

Beck actually proposed...on air....that we should do a 2 percent VAT (value added tax)tax. For anyone who doesn't know what that means...a 2 percent tax is hit through all areas of production...every layer.

This would be a DEATH SENTENCE to small business...not to mention..prices would explode.

======

People only see what they want to see.....that's the problem. No one wants to let go.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
To ALL...

I am very sorry that this thread does not provide an instant conclusion.

For such a very core instrumental problem addressed by an Individual and ignored is sad.

But sure enough day in day out, the sheeple threads get 30, 40, 50 flags.

I am take aback by the lack of apparent interest in the actual nuts and bolts of our countries disfunction. When it come to protecting her own face it seems America is much more happy to act like teenagers. You don't like TPTB, yet you folk to threads sourced by such. There is no magic that will let you appease Corporate freedom and your own will to make a DECENT living, for one preys on your bank account and deals in the realm of make believe money. As government HAS allowed for more profit for the Producers your money has deflated, the prices of your staple increase and your wages stagnate.

So I ask anyone to tell me how appeasing the economic terrorist and protecting their freedom of speech and profit will better you. If it is about numbero Uno why does your speech and beliefs diverge so sharply? This very thread illustrates the true problem with America, you have your substance and your position prefabricated for you.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

Once they clean us out they will go spread the myth to China or some other place. I honestly think if PUBLIC opinion does not change, this will never change.

Many of these corporations are already working in unison with China. It's amazing isn't? All of this talk about government take over...yet THESE SAME CORPORATIONS who are screaming about it are working hand in hand with a COMMUNIST COUNTRY.

People need to THINK and let go of the rhetoric!

BTW...a month ago or so...I was watching Mr. O'Reilly when he had Glen Beck on as a guest...Mr. Anti-tax.

Beck actually proposed...on air....that we should do a 2 percent VAT (value added tax)tax. For anyone who doesn't know what that means...a 2 percent tax is hit through all areas of production...every layer.

This would be a DEATH SENTENCE to small business...not to mention..prices would explode.

======

People only see what they want to see.....that's the problem. No one wants to let go.

Well, this is what I have always thought, Mr Beck goes on about a front door march to
fascist/socialist take over, yet he fails to disclaim that he advocates for the slow and sure result just the same. There is a point when you have to wonder what would lead a person to warn of something he seems to invite. HG Wells had the concept of double speak, you can promote your own agenda by being the loudest one warning of such a thing. I know you and Beck has a "past" and I am glad that you see what you do...

As I said I predict the elimination of all government protectionism will be attacked in the next decade. America will go for it to spit in the eye of Obamas socialism and we will lose. Just as Bush did NOT create the mess, so it will be, no lessons have been learned, WE WANT BUSH HEAVY... My point is not to defend Obama, my point is to illustrate peoples brains, or lack there of. Doing a Bush, RR in response to Obama's socialism is hardly very common sense.

This country should be for American ,owned, sourced, staffed business FIRST, biased in all its splendor, No more of this pro corporate crap guised as freedom, its a disgrace.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Well, this is what I have always thought, Mr Beck goes on about a front door march to fascist/socialist take over, yet he fails to disclaim that he advocates for the slow and sure result just the same. There is a point when you have to wonder what would lead a person to warn of something he seems to invite. HG Wells had the concept of double speak, you can promote your own agenda by being the loudest one warning of such a thing.

Beck comes off as a corporatist. The man goes from being against the bank bailouts to supporting the bonuses. The GOP went from being against the bailouts but are now buddy/buddy with the banks.

Most of what Beck states always benefits the biggest and wealthiest. He never concentrated on people who are losing their asses. All he talks about is his personal vendetta against everything Obama. He uses unemployment numbers as a talking point. Also, his constant Chairman Mao BS is beyond hyporcritical when he REFUSES to criticize American corporations working in unison with CHINA. He won't do it.

I regret posting so many of his videos...and their were many. I pushed his opinions here....unfortunately...I was wrong in doing so...but at least I can swallow my pride and admit it.

Another thing....anytime you see almost anyone on ATS blaming "progressives"...it most likely is just that person repeating what they've been hearing on his show as he's blaming progressives for the entire fall of mankind.

As I said I predict the elimination of all government protectionism will be attacked in the next decade. America will go for it to spit in the eye of Obamas socialism and we will lose. Just as Bush did NOT create the mess, so it will be, no lessons have been learned, WE WANT BUSH HEAVY... My point is not to defend Obama, my point is to illustrate peoples brains, or lack there of. Doing a Bush, RR in response to Obama's socialism is hardly very common sense.

I agree. I wish that wasn't the case..but the writing is on the wall and it certainly shows on ATS.

This country should be for American ,owned, sourced, staffed business FIRST, biased in all its splendor, No more of this pro corporate crap guised as freedom, its a disgrace.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Want to help the economy?

The solution is simple: Eliminate all unconstitutional spending.

No bs "entitlement" programs.

No foreign aid.

No welfare of any kind, be it corporate or individual.

No payments to the UN.

Nothing.

Only those expenditures outlined in Article 1 Section 8 of the Constitution.

There is the solution to the problem.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Well David, if Obama was a true progressive he would shudder to give corporations more control over this nations helm in anyway. It is Progressive 101 core belief... So therefore he is doing a Beck too, the whole lot of them all full of turd.

I see the merits of reducing INDIVIDUAL TAXES or eliminating them to a certain degree of wealth (but corporations are individuals too, also a form of DOUBLE SPEAK mind you)

But as a result we are saying all the working stiffs have to foot the bill for everything.
We pay most the BILL, buy most of the products and are here to make rich people richer. At what point are people going to look at their role in this machine?
We can still be free and very prosperous, STILL have billionaires, while promoting
common sense trade.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join