It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Cygnus Bubble a Dyson Sphere? Article.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
From dailygalaxy:

The Cygnus Bubble - Natural or Artificial?

Is the solar-system sized bubble in the Consellation Cygnus a planetary nebulae or could it be an "AC" or astroengineering construction, also known as a Dyson sphere, named after Freeman Dyson of the Princeton Institute for Advanced Study who proposed the theory? Dyson's thought experiment suggested that in our search for advanced extraterrrestrial civilizations that Instead of radio signals we should look for spheres, which are artificial mega structures that enclose the orbit of a star, fabricated from the material of that solar system. The key is to distinguish a Dyson sphere from natural dust components. The Dyson sphere is the marker of what Kardashev calls a Type 2 civilization, which is capable of using up all the energy produced by a star. A Type three civilization uses up all the energy produced by a galaxy."

"Fermi Bubbles" is the term used by Richard Carrigan at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in his latest work on the search for artifacts like Dyson spheres or Kardashev civilizations. A Fermi bubble according to Carrigan would grow as the civilization creating it colonized space. Carrigan notes that, as Carl Sagan and others have observed, that the time to colonize an individual system is small compared to the travel time between stars. A civilization could engulf its galaxy on a time scale comparable to the rotation period of the Milky Way, or every 225–250 million years, and perhaps, fewer.

According to Carrigan, of the 11,224 potential sources of low range emissions identified that might be a manifestation of Dyson spheres in the Milky Way there are only 16 that have strong potential.

I doubt that it is a Dyson sphere, but who know. It's an interesting idea anyway, and there is a good pic in the article.

Thoughts on this? On Dyson spheres in general? What will the first sign of a distant civilization be?

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I can't believe they would just throw things like that out there and not expect me to laugh at them.

It is a nebula, clearly.

If it is a "Dyson Sphere" where the hell is the stuff inside it?

Ok Ok, so it's just a Nebula.

Do these astronomers or astrophysicists actually think their degrees make them sound smart? Because it doesn't.

Oh so I am crazy and delusional for thinking I saw a Flying Saucer up close in real life, but these goons can go on all day pointing at photos of Nebulae and calling them Dyson Spheres.

Forgive me, I have mostly contempt for their ilk.

Hell, give me their job. I can sit around and pretend to see screwy things in photos all day long. Then I would like my nice govt paycheck. Thanks.

yeinjee.com...
Galactus smoking a massive Cig? Or Nebula?

math.ucr.edu...
Eye of God? Or simply a Nebula?

www.foxnews.com...
Giant Space Clam with Fiery Angels flying inside? Or Neblua?

See where I am going? Where is my paycheck???

[edit on 4-2-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by OnceReturned

Thoughts on this? On Dyson spheres in general? What will the first sign of a distant civilization be?

Hmm that is a good question.

I know a lot of people like the radio signal hypothesis.

However I tend to think that our only evidence of distant civilization would be either us going there to see them up close.
Or them coming here to see us up close.

For scientific reasons of course

So I guess IMO the first sign would be witnessing one of their spacecraft visiting our little planet.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I think it is probably a nebula, here Dyson proposes a way to tell the difference. Dyson spheres would emit the energy of a star, but in different wavelengths than natural starlight. Namely infrared, because the star would heat the sphre.

top topics

join