It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress raises debt limit by another 1.9 trillion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Congress raised the debt ceiling by another 1.9 trillion dollars today. They just don't understand that they are spending our freedom!

www.foxnews.com...

How can this type of spending be sustained?

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Lets just see how much more money we can flush down the toilet

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
It can't be sustained that's the problem. Look at what is happening in Greece, that will happen here soon, or worse.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
It can't be sustained that's the problem. Look at what is happening in Greece, that will happen here soon, or worse.

Common sense tells you it can't be sustained. Evidently Congress and Obama don't have common sense!

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
The news article states -- "If Congress doesn't hike the debt ceiling, the U.S. would be unable make good on Social Security and Medicare payments."

If you oppose, then provide your solution. Or do you not have concern for those who rely on Social Security and Medicare?

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by pplrnuts
The news article states -- "If Congress doesn't hike the debt ceiling, the U.S. would be unable make good on Social Security and Medicare payments."

If you oppose, then provide your solution. Or do you not have concern for those who rely on Social Security and Medicare?

There are no solutions that's the problem. There is only one and that is let the whole system collapse and then rebuild ourselves back up. And hopefully when we collapse we can return to the foundation that the founding fathers wished for us to follow.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Whining and complaining isn't going to do anything. If you really disagree with what is going on organize, get up and do something.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   

My solution is to cut spending. 4 Billion to Communtiy Organizing groups...including ACORN would be a great start. Every program the government funds is full of waste. A 25% across the board cut in money to every program, along with a 25% cut in taxes across the board would solve this problem pretty quick.

Note: Every single Democrat in the house voted for this. Every single Republican voted against it.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Let us do some very basic math. There are about 160 million working Americans. If each were taxed $25/week (I make minimum wage and pay way more than $25 but to keep the math simple). That would be $4 billion/week collected or $208 billion per year.

Now consider that quite a high number of those 160 million workers pay far more than $25 (remember I make minimum wage and pay more) then the question has to be asked as to where the hell is all that money really going?

When people start to honestly ask that question and demand an honest and provable answer then some things will start getting fixed. And do keep in mind, I have only touched on federal withholdings on your check. Never mentioned the amounts of SS and medicare that is deducted separately nor all the hidden consumer taxes like the $0.47 per gallon federal tax on gasoline (does not include your state's tax per gallon).

I wish I was living out the plot to Brewster's Millions too. I just wish they would stop doing it with my money.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
Now consider that quite a high number of those 160 million workers pay far more than $25 (remember I make minimum wage and pay more) then the question has to be asked as to where the hell is all that money really going?

The military, at around $540 billion a year and climbing.
The Iran and Afghanistan war at around $100 billion a year (seperate from the yearly figure above).
Aid to Israel, about $10 billion a year.
Social security+medicaid+medicare+welfare at around $300 billion a year.

And thats not all, but the bulk of it in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Oh yes I forgot. The cost of our 43 or so bases and troops (aside from Iraq and Afghanistan). About $40 billion a year.

Ill try to add the sources later on, I just dont feel like going through all of it right now.

[edit on 4-2-2010 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
The US Government's new Motto will soon be "We'll get cha back on the first." And the First of the month will come, and we'll either see the crack head government show up with the same excuse, or the #er will disappear(default) Either way, The US Gov is no better than a #ing crack junkie right now, addicted to other people's money.

And we're still having an argument about what the government should spend OUR money on. Or perhaps extort more out of us. This is getting WAY out of hand, it has been way out of hand as far back as the Eisenhower Administration. And no amount of accounting tricks has been able to paper over the damage this has been causing to the American people, and now the World. The US Government is indeed a junkie. They will beg, borrow(and borrow, and borrow), and steal from you and me to get their cheap money fix. They will kill for it, they will sell out our whole way of life, our Constitution and our Natural Rights to whoever will buy it to feed the itch.

What we need is an intervention. FROM THE PEOPLE.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

I really don't believe that social security and medicare would add up to the 1.9 trillion dollar hike. When people are faced with budget shortfalls in their personal lives,they cut out non essentials. This government spends billions upon billions on foregin aid to countries that could care less about America. That money should be cut from the budget. All subsidized markets should be cut out,tobacco,milk price supports,set aside farmingand the like. The military likewise should be curtailed along with all other government agencies. Welfare should be addressed on a case by case basis and eliminate fraud from the massive payout rolls.
That is the beginning of a solution!

new topics

top topics

join