It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.0 off northern california coast

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
oh sign away however you want, i was just confused lol

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I'm in Eureka as well. Shaking was minor, but enough to send me toward the exit, in an is this going to be the big one kind of way. We're still waiting to be hit by that mega 9.5, which occurs here about once every 300 years, and is overdue--or so I've heard.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoEXcUseS
reply to post by dragonsmusic

So yea dragonsmusic check out the link in i posted in my earlier post, about the 6.5 last month.

This defintely has nothing to do with HAARP and everything to do with plate tectonics and the Mendecino Triple Junction, where the Pacific, North American, and Gorda plates come together off the coast of Cape Mendecino.
The Pacific plate is subducting under the North American plate, and the Gorda plate is kinda getting squished and smashed in between them. It makes for some very interesting quakes...

NEXUS

Checked out that link. That's amazing. I'm glad you wrote about it , it was a nice first hand account.
I've never actually taken a close look at the MTJ before today, but whoa! That is serious stuff.
It's far worse than the junctions that run off of the New Madrid IMHO.
The New Madrid is the one that scares everyone ON and EAST of the Mississippi River in case you don't know, but you probably do already.
Stay safe over that MTJ.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

Thanks for checking it out! As Tearman said, we are supposed to be due for a very large quake, overdue in fact. Hopefully these two 6+ quakes in the last two months are letting off the pressure on the plates, but it is also a sign that there is a lot of slippage and that there could be more coming.

Right now, I'm more worried about Yellowstone than us, I'm in a fairly safe location (live on a prairie about 150 feet above sea level, but near the coast).

Regards,
NEXUS

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I'm in Eureka as well. I might be paranoid, but during, and after todays quake the wind in eureka was unusually exreme. Then around sundown it just stopped. from what Ive heard of how the HAARP facility operates, it would be an expexted result.

[edit on 5-2-2010 by kcired_tsew]

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by kcired_tsew

Yes I noticed the winds were very strong today. Interesting I would say, but we had a cold front come in today and also dump showers on us... it's not like it was unexpected, this low pressure system has been on satellite moving across the Pacific all week.

I would chalk the winds up to this system, plus the fact that the convection in the air created by the sun's heat lessens when it becomes night-time...makes sense, doesn't it? All Humboldt folk know those summer winds blowing in from sea all too well.. and they often quit once the sun goes down.

Cheers,
NEXUS

[edit on 5-2-2010 by NoEXcUseS]

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Meh...typical Eureka. You guys are getting all excited over nothing. I went through SEVERAL 6's and 7's in the 8-9 years I lived there. Its worse then L.A. as far as earthquakes go. I was out fishing in the middle of the woods during the 7point something a few years back. THAT was an incredible experience. I was just sitting there not catching a damn thing for a few hours and suddenly out of nowhere the whole fricken forest just went dead quiet INSTANTLY. Every hair on my body was standing up, it was sooooo eerie. This happened a couple minutes before the EQ hit. It still amazes me how everything in that forest knew what was coming so far in advance.

But as far as all this, most of my family still lives there and none of them are all that impressed with any of it. Just another day in Humboldt paradise

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
USGS trying to determine if quake was aftershock

Thursday, February 4, 2010

www.sfgate.com.../n/a/2010/02/04/state/n125350S05.DTL

The U.S. Geological Survey is trying to determine if an earthquake that hit off the Humboldt County coast Thursday was an aftershock to last month's magnitude-6.5 quake that hit the same area.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I just looked at the map of this quake and am wondering if it will have an effect of the Juan De Fuca plate.

This is a concern, not only for the American coast, but also to Canada's and in particular to the threat of tsunami if it does go for a subsistance jolt.

As you know, what happens if the Juan De Fuca slips, the N American plate surges westward onto the JdF and coastal elevations drop as the build-up is released.

IF it lets go during the winter olympics in Vancouver, it could be quite the catastrophy there as well as Seattle.

Am I wrong to be concerned?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join