It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The government has your baby's DNA By Elizabeth Cohen, CNN Senior Medical Correspondent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Sorry I couldn't find if this is already posted.

I don't even know what to say, right now I'm still kinda creeped out.

"We were appalled when we found out," says Brown, who's a registered nurse. "Why do they need to store my baby's DNA indefinitely? Something on there could affect her ability to get a job later on, or get health insurance."Text

www.cnn.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I always wondered if this was the case.

I am ashamed to report that even though I spent years amidst the scientific research community, I never once heard of the National Newborn Screening & Genetics Resource Center (genes-r-us.uthscsa.edu...).

Perhaps the conspiracy theories about eugenics aren't so far-fetched after all.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
It's like John Lennon said

"As soon as your born they make you feel small"

Except now as soon as your born they've got your DNA sampled and recorded.
Unfortunately it's no song and dance routine.

Sad.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
The Big Brother is closing in. Soon there will be no such thing as privacy.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Reply to all the above:

Err, I just found out what eugenics means:

- pertaining to or causing improvement in the offspring produced.

This is what was attempted during Hitler's reign.

We're gonna need a bigger boat.

[edit on 4-2-2010 by Bombeni]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
There are ways to even the score.

All of them are not allowed to be spoken of here. But have faith in that.

And know when the time comes the score will be evened.

No worries. What goes around comes around.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Well, you could always u2u them to me.

I found a "eugenics.com" -- here is part of their mission statement:

Humanitarian eugenics strives to leave a genuine legacy good health, high intelligence, and noble character

www.eugenics.net...

[edit on 4-2-2010 by Bombeni]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
While this doesn't surprise me I can't figure out how things like this like this get put into effect in the first place. How did the government get approved to do this to everyone. Obviously this could be used in so many negative ways. It seems to me that if this was only used for medical research there would be no reason not to just get consent.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
If I were dictator, I would make reproduction a privilege. You would have to demonstrate superiority in some way to be allowed to reproduce. Since we no longer have saber toothed tigers eating the dumb ones and the slow ones (natural selection) the dumb and slow ones reproduce the most, weakening the gene pool.

You should have to pass some kind of test, to prove in some way your genes are worthy of being reproduced.

I know, I know, it sounds horrible, I'm some kind of Nazi, eugenicist, AAAUGH! Sonce we've done away with natural selection, there needs to be some kind of selection going on, or else eventually we will run into famine and plagues, and a huge and indiscriminate culling of the overpopulation. We will then be knocked back to the Stone Age to try again.

Why is it so hard to understand that unlimited growth forever is impossible. Yet every day you are bombarded with "growth" figures. Unlimited growth is called cancer.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Excellent posting. I have pondered why the government wants our DNA for life in the first place? Are they cloning? Are they using DNA as a 100% means of identity? I don't know. If they wanted it for identity then why all the different reasons for Real ID and all the other bogus identity justifications?

I do know, but I cant be the only one who has had this conspiratorial thought or concern about why they want our DNA in the first place and why they want to collect and store it forever?

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Isn't getting a hold of someone's DNA done by taking a blood sample? Im positive it is.

You can learn alot from someone's DNA. Like what they look like, if they will get a genetic disease. It can also tell you what people would be better for different things, just by seeing how their brain works. There are genetic markers in your DNA that can tell you if you are good at retaining information, or are more aggressive, you get my point.

Government could have some scary uses for knowing things like that.
Think what would happen if they could extract different genetic markers and mix them with others, creating an entire DNA strand.

The truly scary part about this story is that clones can be made from DNA.
As far as I know human cloning has not happened yet. But looks like it might be a possibility. I wouldn't be against cloning organs but entire humans.... no freaking way.

[edit on 5-2-2010 by Pajjikor]

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Pajjikor

I think the term you are looking for is Master Race? Didn't someone try that before?

I have looked into this more and it seems some parents in Texas are fighting this, have filed lawsuits:

"You have to give permission for them to give your kid formula in the hospital. I don't understand why you don't have to give permission for the state to keep your kid's DNA," said Andrea Beleno, mother involved in the lawsuit. "I was really stunned, and I was very upset to learn that this was going on."

www.kxan.com...

Headline: Newborn DNA projects still a mystery

There is a video on this Texas news station, it also says that when Obama was a senator he introduced a bill to create a national DNA database. I am looking for that; the bill is said to be on their website but I have not located it.

www.kxan.com...

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Interesting. I had my daughter in March of 2008 in Massachusetts, and was informed, on more than one occasion that genetic testing would be done after my child was born, and that generally the sample taken was kept- to retest if needed later. That seemed SOP in prenatal classes and doctors visits.

Mind you, permission was not asked for- but I was made fully aware it would be happening, and was also informed in a nifty pamphlet given , that if I was not comfortable with this, I could always arrange a home or midwife birth outside of the hospital. This was not ENCOURAGED, of course, but it was information given clearly. And no, I didn't have to ask anything, the info was freely given.

My kid's pediatrician though, did tell me that genetic testing had to be done in order for her to give my daughter proper care and to make sure that no later issues would arise, especially concerning vaccinations. OTH, I could always use a different doctor- my choice.

Personally, I am not of the paranoid mindset, and still see no issue in a genetic test being done especially as it is beneficial to my child if something is found that needs attention. Then again, I make sure my children get vaccinations, despite reading most every theory regarding them. To me, the benefits to my children outweigh any potential risk.

I did link to the site mentioned in the article, showing state statistics of samples. I found the Massachusetts listing interesting for one reason: the amount of time they keep the samples, which in MA states: 1991 to present. I need help here, maybe I'm over-thinking- but what exactly does THAT mean? Now I was looking at the chart for 2008, so just for curiosity's sake, checked 2009, again, 1991 to present.

So...any child born after 1991 doesn't have samples saved? Or again, am I just not understanding what I am reading. Can anyone shine some light on this?

[edit on 5-2-2010 by cjcord]

[edit on 5-2-2010 by cjcord]

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by cjcord

Perhaps you don't see the big picture of every person eventually belonging to a national DNA databse. Of course, in reality we cannot fight that, but we can help people know what is happening without their knowledge or consent -- that the blood/dna of their baby (and their family too as explained in the video) is being kept permanently/indefinitely.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

I don't like the idea of a perfect race, everyone would be the same. I was thinking along that line just more or less killing machines, or create the perfect spy. Soldiers that have higher adrenaline levels, allowing them to focus better in tough situations. Or traits of a leader mixed with traits of a strategist to get a unstoppable general. there are tons of possibilities.

I'm not surprised Obama would support something like a DNA database. It has its ups and downs for uses but could be to easily used for bad. Like framing someone, or creating clones.

But the potential benefits are awesome. If you did a database, you might be able to find cures for almost everything by linking DNA with the same problems and finding the common factor. Think of a world where no one has mental disorders. Also if they found a way to clone just organs you could get a new heart if you need one.

The good and the bad sides of this make me want to make sure this is a public agency, not federal. That is one thing that if I didn't know what they were doing, I wouldn't trust it.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bombeni
reply to post by cjcord

Perhaps you don't see the big picture of every person eventually belonging to a national DNA databse. Of course, in reality we cannot fight that, but we can help people know what is happening without their knowledge or consent -- that the blood/dna of their baby (and their family too as explained in the video) is being kept permanently/indefinitely.

No...I see it. Just not in the same light you do.

I see it as a great way to help people in many ways, such as law enforcement. Sometimes a DNA match can;t be made based on found evidence. if everyone was in the system, less guilty people could be walking away based on dna evidence alone. And more innocent people would be taking up less space in prison.

See, we could find a malicious reason for everything. Why does my Dunkin Donuts coffee taste different today? It could be poisoned. Why? maybe TPTB know i post here and I am considered a threat.

Why do I have to show my drivers license to buy cigarettes? Maybe they are storing my information for nefarious purposes. Why do my kids get immunizations? Maybe it's to infect them with a chip, or some drug meant to weaken them!

Or...maybe they put less sugar in my coffee.

Maybe they need to verify my age.

maybe it's a good thing if my kids don't get measles.

Maybe they want to maintain a database of DNA for potentially good reasons. Does that cancel out the fact that they COULD be building some army of cloned perfect race weapons? Sure they could.

But am I really supposed to freak out about it and prevent advances of possibly beneficial studies or positive work being done? That would be stupid.

I agree with you that people should know that it is being done.

But I disagree that they should be informed that it is for nefarious purposes.

top topics

join