It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kerry / McCain a winning team, but would it happen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   
People keep talking about running mates for Kerry. In recent history, a canidate has never left the party to find a suitable running mate, but there is a first time for everything. According to a recent CBS Poll, a Kerry / McCain ticket has a 14 point lead over Bush / Cheney.

CBS Article - www.cbsnews.com...

McCain allows Kerry to basically split the vets' vote, as well as make large gains with independants and republicans. He is viewed with favor by all but 4% of democrats, 8% of independants and 16% of republicans. With as much talk as this ticket has been getting recently, one must start to think that this would be acceptable among democratic leadership recently.

Kerry also sees that other Democrats don't help him much, as with Edwards he only picks up a point or two. When I said the leadership would support this, I started to think about why. It is the only way a non-Kerry running mate could get the nomination in 2012. The sitting VP almost always gets the nomination if he wants it, and the democrats most likely would not nominate a republican, even McCain, in 2012 for president. Now there are many democrats not in a position to run right now that in 8 years will be in a much better position, including Hillary Clinton. If the Clintons still wield party power, could they be pushing for a McCain VP?

And would McCain ever take the nomination? One has to wonder if a behind the curtain bidding war is going on right now between republican senate leadership along with other republicans against the DNC/ Kerry camp for McCain's loyalty.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I doubt McCain would go for it, but if he did, it would be an interesting administration. I think its a good idea to have a Dem president and a Republican vp. That would give the administration an overwhelming understanding of the issues. I don't know if they would get anything done or not, but they would certainly have potential.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I, also, think that this could be a good idea. McCain has said, specifically, that he will not switch his affiliation to the Democratic party. This would mean that the DNS would have to accept a non-party VP candidate. I think that this is pretty unlikely with the amount of partisan politics (on both sides) that have been happening. We can still hope, though.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   
There's really no chance of this happening. Looking at it from a different perspective, I think it's extremely funny that the only way the Democratics can put together a winning ticket is with a Republican VP.

It's really a sad election, Bush is extremely vulnerable and the best the Dems can do is nominate Kerry. A Gephardt/Edwards ticket would blow Bush away!

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I'm more curious about who stands to benifit from this than if it is actualy going to happen. Is this an insurance policy by someone so that even if Kerry wins, they are still able to run in 2012.

McCain denies over and over that he would join the ticket, but the story refuses to die. Why?

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by waltmarkers
..... but the story refuses to die. Why?

Too many ATS posts.

Maybe the real reason is a general disgust with both parties.

new topics

top topics

join