It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Threat That Is FarmVille: The Matrix Inverted

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
its corious when you say that we are being SET-UP to accept a world with avatar because the last years we have "gamer" , "surrogates" and "avatar"
#ing conspiracy , theres a conspiracy people like it or not , just to much coincidence :/. dont be suprise is in the 2012 we star to see the demons living in our world D: ....

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Wow, Doc check this out, you're famous!

Is FarmVille Addiction a Real Threat?

Now, one of the long-standing fixtures of conspiracy theory websites, Above Top Secret, wonders whether FarmVille might be more than simply the world's most popular time-waster. They have turned their tinfoil-hat wearing minds toward Facebook to wonder, "What if it was like, enslaving our brains, dude?" Member Doc Velocity advanced the following theory about FarmVille, which posits a dark and sinister ulterior motive behind the friendly, smiling rural motif: 'This game is addictive like coc aine-laced-alcohol-cigarettes. It's like flypaper, you can't put the thing down. It's Pavlov's dogs with a Salad-Shooter dispensing goodies and high-fives for no apparent reason. The game causes a complete cascading failure of the higher functions of the human brain, so you're reduced to a near-vegetative state save for motor skills necessary to operate the mouse, by which you accept your rewards of flowers, animals, farming equipment, Mardi Gras beads and SuperBowl premiums and other precious things that you can't live without. It's virtual commerce and virtual consumerism... maybe we're being set up to ACCEPT a world in which we live vicariously through our little FarmVille Avatars while any true value we may have in Life is drained away?'

www.pspworld.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
New Newport Farmville Menthols are now available in a middle eastern owned and operated liquor store near you! Inhale the taste of freshly shoveled manure and incest!

Sadly enough, if given the chance, I just might try one of those.

Farmville is a total stoner money scheme. Uhhh....how can we get people to pay top dollar and receive nothing of material value....Facebook!

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

It's a game bro. No need to over react.

Millions of people have payed money for virtual goods in a lot of games. Second Life, any free-to-play MMORPG, and even crappy yet addicting games by Zynga.

People have paid thousands of dollars for avatars from many different games . . . World of Warcraft, Star Wars Galaxies, etc.

Millions of people by crap for their avatars on Xbox Live. They buy new maps for Xbox, PS3, and PC games. They buy new items, new skills, and so on. They buy new songs for Rock Band and Guitar Hero as well.

They are just games, and if someone can cash in on that, it is not the end of the world.

Sure, it may seem stupid to you, but some people will find it worthwhile.

BTW, I have not bought Zynga points, avatars, or anything off of F2P MMORPG's. I have bought the other stuff, I listed, though.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

So have you actually played this game or is the entire thread some "hilarious" parody of those who do?

I have no idea about the game and have never played it.... all i know about it is what I've read in your OP.

It seems that even those who know what Farmville is are not seeing or getting the humour in your OP?

Oh well.... at least you got it eh?

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

Doc is like famous now indeed.
All these people in Playstation world are like, "who IS this Doc Velocity?"

Let's check him out

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
So have you actually played this game or is the entire thread some "hilarious" parody of those who do? I have no idea about the game and have never played it.... all i know about it is what I've read in your OP. It seems that even those who know what Farmville is are not seeing or getting the humour in your OP?

Oh, yeah, as I stated in the OP, I played the thing out of curiosity for a few days, even fronted $10 to Zynga via Paypal for extra points — then I pulled my snap and dropped the game like a hot potato when I realized how fekking addictive it was.

I've also received quite a number of accolades from other FarmVille players who appreciated my tongue-in-cheek treatment of the game and who weren't offended at all.

I was rather surprised to see this thread and my quotes cited in the PSP article, in response to which I can only extend my thanks to PSP for providing proper attribution to Above Top Secret. If it was MSNBC or CNN, they would have just plagiarized the whole story and presented it as an exposé.

:bnghd:

— Doc Velocity

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

You just hatin' on my FarmVille style???

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c1d2436faa20.jpg[/atsimg]

But really, Doc... Time to loosen up that tinfoil hat... It's just a silly game to play with your family and friends... Doesn't cost a dime...

As Freud said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar"...

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
But really, Doc... Time to loosen up that tinfoil hat... It's just a silly game to play with your family and friends... Doesn't cost a dime...

As I've stated repeatedly, this thread was posted tongue-in-cheek, which is why ATS moved it from the "real" conspiracy forum to Below Top Secret.

PSP World picked up the thread and ran with it, but they also understood the lighthearted nature of the OP. Besides, I've received many high-fives from FarmVille players since I started this thread.

And, actually, FarmVille IS configured to take your money, either by credit card or PayPal, and you can bet your ass there are plenty of people out there — millions, I dare say — who DO send money to Zynga for extra points and all that other nonsense.

So, Zynga is making a lot of money with FarmVille, make no mistake. I do not fault anybody for making money. More power to the capitalist system, I say.

And I'm not a hater of VR games in general — the more complex, bloody, mind-bending and grotesque they are, the better. That way nobody can confuse virtual reality with reality.

But it's these mind-numbing, simplistic little bean-counter games like FarmVille and MafiaWars that concern me. Especially when they have a slot for your credit card.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts

As I've stated repeatedly, this thread was posted tongue-in-cheek, which is why ATS moved it from the "real" conspiracy forum to Below Top Secret.

PSP World picked up the thread and ran with it, but they also understood the lighthearted nature of the OP. Besides, I've received many high-fives from FarmVille players since I started this thread.

And, actually, FarmVille IS configured to take your money, either by credit card or PayPal, and you can bet your ass there are plenty of people out there — millions, I dare say — who DO send money to Zynga for extra points and all that other nonsense.

So, Zynga is making a lot of money with FarmVille, make no mistake. I do not fault anybody for making money. More power to the capitalist system, I say.

And I'm not a hater of VR games in general — the more complex, bloody, mind-bending and grotesque they are, the better. That way nobody can confuse virtual reality with reality.

But it's these mind-numbing, simplistic little bean-counter games like FarmVille and MafiaWars that concern me. Especially when they have a slot for your credit card.

— Doc Velocity

I just go into them knowing that I will not give them a dime.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join