NEWS: 6.2 Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Northern Iran, 45 Dead

page: 1

join

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 08:24 AM
link   
A major earthquake with a magnitude of 6.2, occured Thursday in northern Iran at 5:10pm local time Friday. It is believed to be centered in the Iranian villiage of Baladeh, which is in the central-northern area of the country.
As many as 35 people are confirmed dead with the injured numbering 278, according to the Iranian Red Crescent. More than 80 villiages have been severely damaged.

Reuters
Early news indicate the tremor was felt as far away as Tehran (88km/45mi), where people ran from buildings screaming in panic. Some witnesses in Tehran report windows shattering in the city from the quake.

At least 65 aftershocks, some as high as magnitude 5.5, have been felt.

Early damage reports in the area put percentage of structural damage between 30-50%. 27 villiages suffered 100% damage.

A quake on Dec 26th of 2003 in Bam, Iran measuring a 6.8 magnitude destroyed 90% of the city and killed over 30,000 people.

Related News Stories:
CNN
Theage.com.au

[Edited on 3-6-2004 by Banshee]

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Has now been revised to 6.3.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Any information on the age and nature of the buildings in the town. Are these old mud huts or is the construction more modern?

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Any chance this could have been caused by something man made. Like HAARP or a satellight capable of causing seismic activity?????

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Hmm.. Roughly how far are major Iranian missile silos from this area?

I'm not saying its definitely an attack, but it is suspicious that within weeks of the Iranians signing a missile deal with the Koreans there's a 6.2+ magnitude earthquake striking across Iran.. lucky US, neh?

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Only 23 killed so far. Thats pretty lucky considering the size of the quake and the impact the last one had.

It was centered much deeper than the Bam quake -- 26 km (16 miles) instead of the relatively shallow 10-km (6-mile) Bam quake. Bam is about 990 km (610 miles) southeast of Tehran.

Something is definatly going on under Iran.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
There was recently a spate of UFO sightings in Iran... this could support the theory (The so-called 'Earthlights' theory) that many UFOs are generated by seismic stress.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Like I said before, the perfect weapon! How else could you strike a target without causing suspicion.The U.S has been accusing Iran of developing nuclear weapons maybe this is their way of slowing them down?

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I was about to say that I wonder how long it will be before HAARP is mentioned but I was beaten to it. Strange how we automatically think of that before considering a natural origin for the quake. It shows how much we really trust our governments.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 01:23 AM
link   
If we could do such a thing, why not just hit iraq instead of sending in our troops?

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Ufos are normally seen in areas where something mayor will occur. In both World Wars there were sighting of foo fighters, both sides would shoot at them thinking it was the enemy but the ufos just hovered, observing. More or less one year before the wtc attack a couple were sightseeing on a helo and filming the surroundings of the city, when a ufo appeared in front of one of the towers, it hovered for a few secs and then left. I remember seeing this video a while back. I will see if I can find it.

There have also been reports of ufos where no earthquakes have been recorded, like in middle Florida a couple weeks back. Ufos seem to get attracted to areas where there will be major conflicts or tragedies, althou they are also seen in places where nothing, that we know, happens.

[Edited on 29-5-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
Ufos are normally seen in areas where something mayor will occur. In both World Wars there were sighting of foo fighters, both sides would shoot at them thinking it was the enemy but the ufos just hovered just observing.

I've heard of that. I wonder if they are actually time travellers from the future doing a bit of historical research.
Its possible, I suppose.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Another earthquake in Iran, a 4.3 now.

yyyy/mm/dd hh:mm:ss degrees degrees km
2004/05/28 19:06:02 12.47N 141.59E 29.0 5.0 MARIANA ISLANDS REGION
2004/05/28 13:15:06 36.41N 51.42E 10.0 4.3 NORTHERN IRAN
2004/05/28 12:38:46 36.28N 51.57E 28.3 6.3 NORTHERN IRAN

Excerpt taken from.
neic.usgs.gov...

I hope they don't get another one like last year.

[Edited on 29-5-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 06:15 AM
link   
This area has seen quakes before.

Didnt the last time Iran had a major quake, the USA send relief aid?
Wasnt that the first time in a long while American Aid had been over there?
Think the USA can geive them any considering the war situation?
Would relief workers there be attacked?

new topics

top topics

join