It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Film Industry Loses Landmark Piracy Case

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Film Industry Loses Landmark Piracy Case

www.news.com.au

Studios lose major movie piracy battle
Wanted ISPs to police their customers
Federal Court judge rules against them
INTERNET service provider iiNet has won a major legal battle over whether it should be held responsible for its customers downloading content illegally.

The case, against the Australian Federation Against Copyright Theft, could have had major implications for the way internet providers police their users.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

www.theaustralian.com.au[/url ]

[url=http://www.goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=10277]www.goldsteinreport.com

[edit on 4/2/10 by atlasastro]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I think this is a pretty huge decision. It occurred here in Australia but it has global implications.

iiNET wins court case against Hollywood heavyweights
iiNET has won a landmark Federal Court battle against a clutch of Hollywood movie studio heavyweights which alleged the Perth-based internet service provider had encouraged copyright violations.

The trial has been watched closely by both the federal government and overseas observers. The group of Hollywood studios - represented by the Australian Federation Against Copyright Theft (AFACT) - attempted to persuade the court that iiNet was legally liable for alleged copyright infringement activity by its customers.

www.goldsteinreport.com...
If the Film industry had of won it would have had dramatic implications for ISP's and internet user alike.

As the article states, users would be penalized and disconnected from the internet for downloading material.

The only way illegal activity like this would be discovered is if ISP's monitored users.

"This case has been important, not just for iiNet, but the entire internet industry," it said.

"We do not, and never have supported, encouraged or authorised illegal sharing or downloading of files in breach of the copyright laws."

BB just took a bullet for once!

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
The internet will soon (3-5yrs) be 100% controlled. What your seeing is the inception of what will happen in the future. Do you really think that the global elite will not own the Internet access? What they will do just like every other aspect of their plan is to make us do it for them i.e. just like you and everyone else plays their money game 'willingly' so too will you offer them control of your Rights. No? Don't think so? Trying saying what you want to say on this or any other site and you'll be censored. Yes, even ATS comply, why, because there sites content is controlled or self censored on the use of certain words or ideas that involve PC groups. It’s just how it works, you don't have to actually believe or agree with the words you use its just your using them that will get your content 'pulled'

I'm waiting for the 'event' that will offer the way forward to censor and close the internet.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by mlmijyd
The internet will soon (3-5yrs) be 100% controlled. What your seeing is the inception of what will happen in the future. Do you really think that the global elite will not own the Internet access?
Well, they just lost a big round. This was the Heavy Weights against the little guy, and the little guy won. So don't give up bro!

What they will do just like every other aspect of their plan is to make us do it for them i.e. just like you and everyone else plays their money game 'willingly' so too will you offer them control of your Rights. No? Don't think so?
No, I don't think so, and the Federal Court in Australia didn't think so either.

Trying saying what you want to say on this or any other site and you'll be censored. Yes, even ATS comply, why, because there sites content is controlled or self censored on the use of certain words or ideas that involve PC groups.
Well, you just did say what you wanted, and you said it on this site, and you have not been censored my friend.

It’s just how it works, you don't have to actually believe or agree with the words you use its just your using them that will get your content 'pulled'

I'm waiting for the 'event' that will offer the way forward to censor and close the internet.
You sound like you have given up.

This was a good story, it was a win for the internet and users like you and I.

Thanks for the reply mate!

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Here is the transcript of an Interview with iiNET MD Micheal Malone regarding this decision, as well as others related to the decision.
www.abc.net.au...
He says some interesting things relating to Internet Policing by ISP's.

iiNet boycotted Senator Conroy's internet filter trial last year, with their managing director describing it as a waste of taxpayers' money.

In the meantime, iiNet want to sit down and negotiate with the same people who've been suing them.

MICHAEL MALONE: The best way for us to all stop the copyright violations. It doesn't help iiNet either - the best way to stop it is to make the material legitimately available for customers. So I guess the most important thing for us right now is to engage with those studios and see if we can get that stuff online.

What I find interesting is the iiNET boycotted the Australian Governments Internet Filter trial. I wonder if the 34 film and Television Companies, that specifically went after iiNet, thought that the Australian Federal Court would be biased against iiNet due to the stance iiNet took against the Australian Federal Governments attempts to filter the internet.
Here are some related thread about that filter.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Another link regarding the filter.
www.abc.net.au...

[edit on 4/2/10 by atlasastro]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Repost.

Original Thread

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Goathief

You're allowed to have two consecutive threads on the same subject running if one is in Breaking Alternative News.

As you were.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Both are in Breaking Alternative News, covering the same subject and share a same source, do they not?

Ergo, repost.

I've seen many threads deleted in this section for less, as you were Mr. Wickus.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Goathief

So it is!

My mistake and humblest apologies.

As I was indeed...

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
If it is not on a worldwide scale I don't see any difference between downloading a movie between friends than inviting them over to watch the same movie.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Corporations are gaining too much power IMO.
There's no reason why media corporations should have their meathooks in everything.

That ruling would of been just stupid. That's like holding a city liable because some gang member is selling drugs in a public park.
It's not their job to police the area 24/7.

top topics

join