It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skunks out foraging

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
The weather forecast is for a snowfall this weekend Friday through Monday. Usually the weathermen are less than accurate about such things but since 4am this morning I have noticed a significant number of skunks out foraging. It would seem that we may be in for a considerable change in weather compared to the very mild week we have had with highs in the 40's.

I guess we will see how well the polecat compares to the groundhog at winter prognostication.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I've never heard that there's a correlation between foul weather and skunks....makes weather prognistation interesting, to say the least.

Keep us informed, I'm intrigued on how this goes.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Ya here in the Midwest,we look to skunks,opossums and of course the local groundhog.I won't personally trust anyone scared of his own shadow,so that leaves the skunks and 'grinners'.They both are signs of Spring warming.There are finer points,such as which emerges first,I'll get the skinny on that and report back.

PS for what it's worth,the opossums come out first,must be a seasonal thing.The skunks follow.For bad weather I look to the barn cats.They come in to the barn before the storm and eat voraciously.Sure sign.

[edit on 4-2-2010 by trueforger]

[edit on 4-2-2010 by trueforger]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
The only thing I have noticed where I have lived for the last 18 years is that in early February the skunks are out in full force. It happens every year at the same time, give or take a couple of days. No matter what the weather is, after the beginning of February, the skunks are out. There is evidence of them everywhere. Corpses on the roads, their stink in the air.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
My house is on a large wooded lot (>6ac) that borders a protected wetland/stream area. We have ALOT of wildlife here. The OP is dead-on with his observation. Whenever the weather is going to make a nasty turn the local inhabitants (skunks, possums, foxes, coyotes, squirrels, deer, etc) are out in force the night/day before to stock up. I notice the people-creatures doing the same thing at the local grocery stores coincidentally.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
i believe the skunk "rut" starts in february. I have often wondered what was up at this time of year. It seems I live in skunk alley from Feb. to March.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by reluctantpawn

That could be it. Ah, spring when a young male's fancy...

It could very well be that it has coincided with an approaching winter storm.

Latest area forecast is freezing rain tonight to Friday morning changing to a rain/wet snow mix with 3-6 inches by Saturday night. Some mention that there may be further accumulations Monday through Wednesday.

I guess we may have to have this moved to (appropriately enough) Skunk Works.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Skunks don't hibernate. If the weather is warm (say 40 degrees +) and wet they can find food like grubs and worms. Woodchucks and chipmunks are the same way.
I don;t think their appearances mean anything about the weather. Want good forecast? Watch the tv. It's about the only thing it's good for.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Chipmunks do hibernate athough not deeply and woodchucks most definitely hibernate.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
And the update: We had 5-6 inches of snow over the weekend that promptly warmed the bottom layer to turn into ice up to 1/4 inch thick in spots. The wind had gusts up to 30 MPH on Saturday that caused some drifting in the usual spots.

Forecast calls for more snow tonight with an expected accumulation of an additional 4-8 inches. Far better than what the DC area had, but a fairly heavy snow for here around the Greater Cincinnati area.

My guess was some foraging was going on as it will be sometime next week before a good amount of this will melt off. Unfortunately one did not make it along a route that I drive by several times a day. He may be gone but the smell lingers on.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I've noticed skunks have changed in the last decade. Less shy more willing to interface with humans and their food waste. One was on my front step a while ago going through a bag of garbage someone carelessly left there.

Animals collectively learn somehow and modify their behaviour to adapt to changes. Skunks are becoming more like raccoons who live among people because the food and warmth in the winter opportunities are so much better than in the wild.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Hi! I remember that the skunks mate in Febuary for a month. The male skunk looks for a female who will accept him, the he moves in her den for a month until she kicks him out. I remember this febuary skunk smell in the woods, it's mating time and a first sign of SPRING!!!!
Not to be confused with weather, it is a hormone thing.

new topics

top topics

join