It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reservoir Of Water Found On Mars?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
All the rocks have age marks from wind water or lava, and alot of those look like volcanic rocks, probably alot of treasures around there. i bet there is alot of crystals in those rocks too

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by GW8UK

looks more like glass

something heated that sand up real good

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zanti Misfit
Here is a Pic. taken from Rover showing the Famous " Disc ' embedded in what appears to be Wet Sand . Notice the ridges that look like something you would see on a Beach on Earth ...........
That photo shows why I don't like J. P. Skipper's work, it only shows half of the information available.

Looking at all the photos that were taken at that site (the 15th and 16th characters on the photo name show that it was site 28) we can find a close up of the mark made by the Rock Abrasion Tool (they always take photos after using it, that's the whole idea), and we can see that it looks like dry, darker dust.

In fact, if we look at the photos taken by the Microscopic Imager we cannot see anything that looks like water or even moisture, everything looks extremely dry.

Another Pic. of possible Water filled Lakes as of today , Unconfirmed do to resolution issues.
One thing people usually do not say about that photo is that it was taken near the South pole (Latitude 80.96º South), so the odds of it being liquid water are even less likely than closer to the poles, at least in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Another Pic. of possible Water filled Lakes as of today , Unconfirmed do to resolution issues.
One thing people usually do not say about that photo is that it was taken near the South pole (Latitude 80.96º South), so the odds of it being liquid water are even less likely than closer to the poles, at least in my opinion.

the temperature at that Latitude depends on the rotational axis of mars (relative to its orbit around the sun), and the location mars was at during its orbit around the sun. I personaly do not no the exact information. but look at the earth for that matter.

earths axis of rotation is tilted relative to our elliptical orbit, hence why seasons occur (winter summer) at different dates in different hemispheres.

The southern hemisphere experiances winter while at the same time the northern experiance summer, and visa versa. Take Washington Dc for example, part of the year its sunny and hot, other times it isnt (right now its got a few feet of snow)

i would assume that this would occur on other planets as well...Don't you think?

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by LeeTheDestroyer

Yes, the time of year makes a difference, but if you think that we are talking about a latitude that, on Earth, would be inside Antarctica (and some 200 km inland) and that Mars only gets, if I am not mistaken, some 80% of the solar radiation we get, I think you will understand why I said that.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I hear you, its extremely close to the pole. any way, i stopped being lazy and looked something up.

en.wikipedia.org...

Mars axis of rotation is very similar to that of earths. I agree, doesnt make sense that liquid water would be there of all places.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zanti Misfit

i297.photobucket.com...

I decided to investigate a little more about that image and that area.

According to this page, the "sun azimuth" for this photo is 52.32º, and that would mean that the sun is shining in the direction of the arrow on the following image.

If that's true, then the white edges we see on the "lakes" mean that they are not lakes but mesas.

So I went looking for more photos of that area, and found another photo that shows the same "lakes", photo s14/00097, but although the resolution is better the image is worse, with lots of noise, but once again the direction of the light "says" that these are mesas and not lakes.

I also found a HiRISE image, that although not showing the same place it shows a place some 4 km to the Northwest of this area, image PSP_005329_1005, and although, once more, they look like sunk areas, the direction of the sunlight points to contrary (the sunlight is also coming from the bottom-right corner).
(zoomed to 25%)

Apparently, it's an optical illusion that makes us see those as "lakes" instead of mesas, even when I see them as mesas, if I look to something else and look again, they look like lakes again.

PS: even if those areas are not mesas, we can see on the HiRISE photo that there isn't any water there.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join