It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seeking Qualified Mentally Retarded Lawyers?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Your government at work. This is from the listing seeking "up to 10 experienced attorneys"

The Civil Rights Division encourages qualified applicants with targeted disabilities to apply. Targeted disabilities are deafness, blindness, missing extremities, partial or complete paralysis, convulsive disorder, mental retardation, mental illness, severe distortion of limbs and/or spine. Applicants who meet the qualification requirements and are able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation are encouraged to identify targeted disabilities in response to the questions in the Avue application system seeking that information.

Source

[edit on 3-2-2010 by skoalman88]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by skoalman88

Applicants who meet the qualification requirements and are able to perform the essential functions of the position
- from your article

I don't see the problem....

Yes, they have a disability, but if they can still perform the job...whats the big deal?

[edit on 3-2-2010 by Snarf]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Might I recommend Orly Taitz for the position,

Sorry, couldn't help it.

[edit on 2/3/2010 by whatukno]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Orly Taitz is the bane of all lawyers. Off the rocker and I am surprised has not been held in contempt. Although I commend the tenacity (even though it has gone beyond tenacious and even beyond bad-press to complete insanity.)

But as said before....if they are capable, what is the big deal? It isn't like it is asking double arm amputees to seek employment in the construction industry swinging a hammer.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by skoalman88

You bias jerk. There are many individuals with disabilities that could out perform most "normal" employees in any number of positions. Retarded is a medical diagnosis for someone with an intelectual or developmental disability. Did you know that Albert Einstein had a disability. Many famouse people in history had disabilities. You need to so some research or better yet go work with individuals with disabilities, before you start being bias against them. You know you could walk out your door and get hit and become "retarded", you could have children or grandchildren with a disability. I think you owe society an apology for being ignorant.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf
- from your article

I don't see the problem....

The continuation of the text you quoted reads

with or without reasonable accommodation

What is reasonable accommodation. And does it matter anyway, given the wording?

CT

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Conspiracy Theorist

Usually reasonable accommodations are things such as ramps for people with walking disabilities or lower office supplies that are readily accessible.

Reasonable accommodations does not include: Favoritism and lighter work load, better assignments, etc.

Just says that within reason, the employer will accommodate.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Is this even real? The article doesn't seem real at all. I don't see any problems with helping give people with disabilities jobs... but, in all seriousness.... my friends who are very intelligent either failed or barely passed the bar exam, there is no way in hell a mentally retarded person went through law school and passed the bar exam. Well, at least the NY bar, I don't know how hard it is to become a lawyer in West Virginia!

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Conspiracy Theorist

A reasonable accomidation would include a wheel chair ramp, or a special chair. Anything that aids in the ability and comfort that an individual may need to perform the job. But reasonable may have different meanings to different people. Completely remodeling an office would not be reasonable, nor would be hirring of a full time aid. If an individual feels they were not offered reasonable accomidations they can sue for their human rights under the Title VI act.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by hikix

Intellegence is relative. Your friends may be "intelegent" but that does not mean an individual with an I/DD is not intelegent. As a matter of fact making such judgments shows a severe lack of intellegence.

[edit spelling]

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
The legal profession is not a place where you will find the brightest minds in the country. The legal profession does however, require at least a marginal amount of intelligence. I do not know whether mentally retarded people can read and write briefs, cross examine a witness, or have a firm command of the law that lawyers need to memorize.

The legal profession is also a very shallow profession. Lawyers are some of the most superficial people you will ever meet. Given that virtually all judges were once lawyers themselves, judges are often shallow, superficial people.

That being said, many "disabled" people will make lousy lawyers. Lawyers and Judges will look down upon lawyers if their suit cost less than $2000 or if there are visible signs of scuffing on the bottom of their shoes. They look down on people who are short, obese, unattractive, or who do not come from their social circles. If a lawyer is going to make an unfavorable impression on a judge because he is not 6'4" with impeccable clothing, then certainly someone in a wheelchair will make a poor impression.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Call me what you will but I would definetly not want someone suffering from mental retardation to defend me in a case. Besides, what sort of mental illness are we talking about here? Is schizophrenia acceptable? What about split personality? That would be like three lawyers in one!

Sorry but most of these traits do not belong on the balance of law. Peoples lives are at stake! Anways, if someone can pass the bar exam not to mention pre-law and the like, I would not consider them mentally retarded so it's sort of a moot point.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Chad_Thomas89

Abraham Lincoln had a mental illness guess you think he did not belong in goverment too huh?

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Um, I owe society an apology for pointing out a government stupidity?

You owe society an apology for: 1. being ignorant to the purpose of my post (hint: READ IT), 2. being so sensitive, 3. spelling and grammar errors.

There is cause for concern when the government posts something such as this. First, someone was too lazy to create a new list of targeted disabilities. Second, regardless of your opinion of lawyers, none of them fit the definition of "mentally retarded." Since you missed it, THIS WAS THE PURPOSE OF THE POST.

My goal was not to mock the disabled. I realize disability (mental and physical) is a touchy subject and I do not fault you for becoming defensive. I have a niece with down syndrome, have removed "retard" from my lexicon, and support the Buddy Walk program. You had no way of knowing that.

But, why don't you try understanding people before you attack them? After all, isn't that what you are asking us to do?

[edit on 22-2-2010 by skoalman88]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I wonder how easy it is to pass the bar exam? I think I made my point. If you can walk the walk you can talk the talk.

new topics

top topics

join