It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Academia just a delivery system for outdated technologies?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
G'day ATS, while researching another thread I began contemplating technology, academia and cutting edge discoveries.

I've read it here on ATS enough, and heard it a thousand times more that the actual technology that we regard as cutting edge is actually decades behind what is being played around with in labs al over the world.

So, assuming that this is the case, what is the true role of our scientists and researchers?

The ones that are in the public eye, the men and women publishing their discoveries are therefore decades behind the times.

Either they are complicit to the ruse (tricking us into believing our technology is cutting edge) or they are themselves being tricked.

Is there a world of Science running parallel to the one we are familiar with, are the scientists that we take to be visionaries actually releasing the work of others performed ten, twenty or even fifty years ago?

Is it even possible that the Phds and Scientists who beleive they are inventing and producing future technologies are merely following a predetermined catalogue of discovery, held back from being truly revealed in order to make money, hold mankind back and continue the restriction of knowledge and enlightenment?

Definitely a Skunk Works job my friends!

All the best ATS, I'd appreciate your thoughts on this idea!

[edit on 3-2-2010 by kiwifoot]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
WOW ! You just answered a question that has been bugging me for ages. Which is, why are schools and colleges designed to slow down the learning capabilities that every person is born with.

I mean a young child learns a new language or two in a couple of years, learns to count, sometimes spell, how to eat, run, play, interact, react .... etc... etc...

Then they are SENT to school to start 'learning' a .. b .. c .. d. at a snails pace.

Then when they get older, they are repremanded for asking 'the wrong' questions, with comments like 'are you trying to be smart' .... well yes actually they are, that's why they are there!.

Thinking outside the box is frowned upon ... because it's not on the syllabus.

So you end up with young adults who only knows what is on the syllabus, unable (or afraid) to think for themselves. These indoctrinated adults are unlikely to come out with anything new. Maybe when they go into third level college or industry, they will be hinted to or trickle fed something and presto we have a new (20 year old) discovery.

Thanks for the answer

[edit on 3-2-2010 by All_Truth_Soon]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by All_Truth_Soon
WOW ! You just answered a question that has been bugging me for ages. Which is, why are schools and colleges designed to slow down the learning capabilities that every person is born with.

I mean a young child learns a new language or two in a couple of years, learns to count, sometimes spell, how to eat, run, play, interact, react .... etc... etc...

Then they are SENT to school to start 'learning' a .. b .. c .. d. at a snails pace.

Then when they get older, they are repremanded for asking 'the wrong' questions, with comments like 'are you trying to be smart' .... well yes actually they are, that's why they are there!.

Thinking outside the box is frowned upon ... because it's not on the syllabus.

So you end up with young adults who only knows what is on the syllabus, unable (or afraid) to think for themselves. These indoctrinated adults are unlikely to come out with anything new. Maybe when they go into third level college or industry, they will be hinted to or trickle fed something and presto we have a new (20 year old) discovery.

Thanks for the answer

[edit on 3-2-2010 by All_Truth_Soon]

I think your post does bring up a valid question, namely how deep the plan goes, or put another way, are we held back and taught a lie from the moment we enter school?

it has been theorised many times that school is just a method of indoctrination, getting our young ones to learn just what TPTB want us to learn.

this does fit into my theory that Science is basically held back, and those discoveries that we see are merely the tip of the iceberg, perhaps decades behind the real sharp end of discovery.

What would be really intriguing would be if there is an entire industry out there whose sole purpose is to release decades old technology out into the public domain, pretending that it's only just been invented. Although surely by now there would be a whistle blower or two by now!

KF

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Although a lot of excellent research still goes on, in essence, academia is becoming a titling institution. Are you a Duke, Marquis, Earl, Viscount, or Baron? Did you go to Yale or Southwest State? Its a chance to party on borrowed money for four years and then have a little title you can use to announce your social status at coctail parties and to potential employers.

[edit on 2/4/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

First off, let me say that kiwifoot I ALWAYS read your threads and RESPECT THEM....

BUT, as a scientist myself (well not yet, but I am majoring in cosmology and applied theoretical physics) I must disagree in technicality. We are told what everyone else is (unless of course you work in Area 51 or Dulce, lol...not mocking as I believe in both places).

But we can only do what we know. Right now the most promising field for helping human evolution and advancement is quantum mechanics and string theory/m-theory. We are WAY in over our heads thus far, but so far there is promising research.

So to conclude I would say that no one is "propagating outdated tech", we just know what everyone else does (at least in the public sector).

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08

First off, let me say that kiwifoot I ALWAYS read your threads and RESPECT THEM....

BUT, as a scientist myself (well not yet, but I am majoring in cosmology and applied theoretical physics) I must disagree in technicality. We are told what everyone else is (unless of course you work in Area 51 or Dulce, lol...not mocking as I believe in both places).

But we can only do what we know. Right now the most promising field for helping human evolution and advancement is quantum mechanics and string theory/m-theory. We are WAY in over our heads thus far, but so far there is promising research.

So to conclude I would say that no one is "propagating outdated tech", we just know what everyone else does (at least in the public sector).

Thanks jkrog!!

I appreciate a bit of sanity to my loopy as always!

And in no way did I mean to lessen the value of your work or the field in general.

So you agree that in secret government programmes it's highly probable there are programmes that blow our hi-tech gear out of the water.

I just wondered, I guess this was the real point of my thread, if Phd students, researchers and those inventing future technologies are being guided to develop and discover pre-discovered and pre-developed concepts and products.

It's a bit crazy mate so I thought it better go in SW!

An honest question, have you ever felt that you have been pushed towards research instead of choosing to go down that path?

By the way, awesome job mate, good luck in completing your studies!

Promise me if I'm at all right you'll let me know!

[edit on 4-2-2010 by kiwifoot]

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
It's a tool of conformity.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Of course I agree that our governments have MUCH more advanced tech....LOL, I am a FSME of the UFO forum...

BUT, as far as many are concerned it is how it seems, that is all I am saying. But yes, I am one who would favor the human race over secrecy in any large technological breakthrough....

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
A lot of ground breaking research gets done at universities. Much of it is more theoretical and less practical than the research that is done in industry.

Academia does have the tendency to be dominated by orthodoxies. Revolutionary thinkers may have a hard time breaking through these orthodoxies, and hence will not do well. Many of the top new technologies were developed by people with little or no academic credentials. For example, Bill Gates was a college drop out.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
A lot of ground breaking research gets done at universities. Much of it is more theoretical and less practical than the research that is done in industry.

Academia does have the tendency to be dominated by orthodoxies. Revolutionary thinkers may have a hard time breaking through these orthodoxies, and hence will not do well. Many of the top new technologies were developed by people with little or no academic credentials. For example, Bill Gates was a college drop out.

It's a recurring theme that scientists suggesting theories which fly in the face of accepted mainstream science seriously receive a hard time from their peers.

I remember hearing about an archaeologist who put forward an alternative theory on the migration of early man throughout the globe, and her career was left in tatters after repeated attacks form the proponents of the mainstream hypothesis.

I suppose every visionary from Newton to Hawkins were looked at as scientific heretics at some point! Newton was called a religious one too!

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by kiwifoot
Is it even possible that the Phds and Scientists who beleive they are inventing and producing future technologies are merely following a predetermined catalogue of discovery, held back from being truly revealed in order to make money, hold mankind back and continue the restriction of knowledge and enlightenment?

It makes Paranormal and Supernatural phenomena today still looks like x-rays and radio waves 200 years ago.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by kiwifoot
G'day ATS, while researching another thread I began contemplating technology, academia and cutting edge discoveries.

I've read it here on ATS enough, and heard it a thousand times more that the actual technology that we regard as cutting edge is actually decades behind what is being played around with in labs al over the world.

Either they are complicit to the ruse (tricking us into believing our technology is cutting edge) or they are themselves being tricked.

Here are the most notable examples of so called cutting edge technologies: Predator Drone and International Space Station

edit on 10/9/2010 by masonicon because: unknown reason

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

OP I have thought about this for a while actually. If some people basicly lived in some sort of scientific 'monestary' for decades (and really a lot of scientists probably would do so quite willingly; I would) there is no telling where they would be now.... without the interference of the typical human existance or complany BS. Companies are sometimes good for finding effiecient and cheap machines etc however they can also work against anything that threatens their market etc.... additionally it takes a long time sometimes, even now, for things to propagate into society.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Your theory would explain why there is such derision and obscurity for scientists, inventors and tinkerers who work outside of mainstream academics or pursue more steampunk/cyberpunk methods. There was an article on ATS a while back about how quack garage biologists are making more daring (and far more concerning) advances than those in traditional laboratory settings.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
The government monitors all technology finds in something called the Scientific Dictatorship.
Back in school as the story goes a student asked a professor if a solid state triode like the
triode tube would ever be found like the semiconductor diode was found like the diode
vacuum tube. The professor said no and the next day the semiconductor triode or transistor
was announced.
Weather company funded development or University funded the Government offices know
what is going on.
Academia knows only so much and is given the standard science model.
I first saw a IC op amp being used in equipment and then magazines started announcing
digital ICs from Faichild. Fairchild Camera obviously used its cameras to print the circuits on
the IC chips. Wonder if the same cameras were in spy satellites and they were given the
go ahead to make the ICs.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
this is proof that Illuminati has technology level beyond our times

new topics

top topics

join