It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to meet Dalai Lama despite Chinese warnings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Obama to meet Dalai Lama despite Chinese warnings

www.reuters.com

BEIJING/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama still plans to meet the Dalai Lama, the White House said on Tuesday, despite China's warning that such a meeting would hurt ties already strained by U.S. weapons sales to Taiwan.

Digging in on two points of discord, China vowed to impose unspecified sanctions against U.S. companies selling arms to Taiwan and said any meeting between Obama and the exiled Tibetan Buddhist leader would hurt bilateral ties.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

The president told China's leaders during his trip last year that he would meet with the Dalai Lama and he intends to do so," White House spokesman Bill Burton told reporters traveling with Obama to New Hampshire.

"We expect that our relationship with China is mature enough where we can work on areas of mutual concern such as climate, the global economy and non-proliferation and discuss frankly and candidly those areas where we disagree."

I think it's a good step not to buckle under threats. It would have been a bad move not to meet Dalai Lama imo.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Good for Obama,
two lines,
I respect him for it.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Is it just me or is Obama really stepping on toes. Not only that, but he is sending mixed signals. Isn't this the same guy that Bowed almost to the ground to the Chinese President. Now, he is taking action after actions to anger them. I don't get it.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Yeah but I think the US cares two farst about Tibet and the Dali Lhama. It's all political. He's being used as a pawn to entice or provoke China in my opinion. Tibet deserves unilateral support from the US and has ever since. But they don't get it.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Obama needs to take his tail out from its usual spot between his legs and hold his ground here. He is free to meet with whomever he chooses. He would take a greater risk if he let the Chinese control his actions on this matter.

Now the Chinese will just make a little adjustment to some interest rates on a couple of loans to Uncle Sam. So be it. Its not like we will ever pay them back anyway.

[edit on 3-2-2010 by jibeho]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
In times all the European countries shy away from the Dalai Lama as not to disturb Business Relations to China, this is a positive move.

More of stuff like this would have been expected from Obama.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Why cannot politics behave. It gets bldy irritating when they have a rant!

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Way to go Obama I would let this guy sleep in the Lincoln bedroom and burn Chinese flags in the fire place to keep warm.

I am really starting to hate the Chinese and I hope it spreads they want to be the big kid on the block well step on up and lets see what you got. I am willing to bet they don't have to much considering there own country is falling apart from the inside out. Also instead of making themselves strong they funded the US to make the biggest military machine the world has ever seen thank you China for your money and your stupidity.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth
Way to go Obama I would let this guy sleep in the Lincoln bedroom and burn Chinese flags in the fire place to keep warm.

I am really starting to hate the Chinese and I hope it spreads they want to be the big kid on the block well step on up and lets see what you got. I am willing to bet they don't have to much considering there own country is falling apart from the inside out. Also instead of making themselves strong they funded the US to make the biggest military machine the world has ever seen thank you China for your money and your stupidity.

Whoever your referring to in China as stupidity. Its not the pawns of government running the show. Its the mafia's that run the game.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
What confounds me is the notion that it ANY nation should fear a conversation between two people.

It MUST be fear, otherwise why rattle the sabers?

So they meet... so what? Will China collapse under the monumental event?

It seems unlikely that any self-respecting human being should EVER cower under the threat of "We forbid you to speak to that person."

Were it me (I know, how presumptuous) they would receive a curt reply:

"Bite me, I'm American..., and I speak with whom I please."

Frankly it is sad that it even needs to be said.

[edit on 3-2-2010 by Maxmars]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DClairvoyant

I am referring to the Chinese government being stupid to finance a military that in turn be used to destroy them. The citizens really have no say over this if that is what you mean your statement was confusing

And I Know this is a conspiracy site but I really doubt the mafia has control over either government in question here. Now if we where talking Italy?

[edit on 3-2-2010 by Subjective Truth]

top topics

join