It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Could soon be Staying in Floating Hotels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Could we soon be staying in floating hotels in the future?

ok how FREAKING amazing would that be if it were to actually happen, although its just a concept its still freakin sweet

www.cnn.com...

We could one day be spending our holidays in a gigantic vertical airship that floats thousands of meters above ground if a design concept becomes reality. The Aircruise is a radical new design that promises to accommodate guests in a 265-meter tall hotel that could float above city skylines or over dramatic landscapes according to its designers at Seymourpowell. "The Aircruise concept questions whether the future of luxury travel should be based around space-constrained, resource hungry, and all too often stressful airline travel," Nick Talbot, head of transportation at Seymourpowell said. "A more serene transport experience will appeal to people looking for a more reflective journey, where the experience of travel itself is more important than getting from A to B quickly." Video: Future of safety in travel Video: Luxury market in 2010 RELATED TOPICS * Air Travel * Business Travel * Travel and Tourism While the Aircruise is only a conceptual proposal, designers have developed a detailed and achievable technical plan for the craft that could allow it to be built in the future. A maximum of 100 guests and crew would be allowed onboard and there would only be 10 luxury apartments available for rent. There would also be large internal spaces for dining as well as a bar and lounge area for passengers. "I can't think of another way you can experience pure luxury travel," Talbot said. "Imagine sitting in your stateroom and seeing the Serengeti below you or floating above the tallest skyscraper in the world." Hydrogen gas would be used as the primary lifting gas and it would be capable of lifting around 1.2 kg per cubic meter of volume. Large hydrogen fuel cells would also provide on board power and some drinking water. The cruising speed of the Aircruise would range from 100 to 150 kilometers an hour and a journey from London to New York would take 37 hours. "We think the new form of luxury will be those that have the time to enjoy an experience," Talbot said. "We think of this as taking a cruise, except you'd be floating high above the earth." The Aircruise's designers say that it would take a huge amount of money to actually build such a thing and at its current stage, it's only a feasibility study.

[edit on 2/3/2010 by l neXus l]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by l neXus l

Im glad to see the hindenburg being made again, maybe this time it wont burst into flames and kill everyone.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

I prefer Cloud City from The Empire Strikes Back.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
yes me to, actually i prefer sky high the disney movie

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Link please.

Please, a link!

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   

yeah, that one was pretty sweet. but so was cloud city. My issue is that hydgrogen sucks.

sure it is the only ideal substance for lift of that magnitude (helium can piss off, its too heavy and unavailable)

But it likes to burn in the presence of oxygen, It diffuses through material like crazy (because its so small) gotta love diffusion, and it is causes hydrogen embrittlement in metals.

Its not good stuff

diffusion
en.wikipedia.org...
hydrogen embrittlement
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by LeeTheDestroyer

im pretty sure hydrogen embrittlement doesnt happen without high temperature such as that used during manufacturing...i dont think it would be an issue in this case.

I want one of these, do they make a smaller private version? evil lair in the sky here i come.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Very cool. Can't wait.

But imagine the rent

I'd buy my own personal one. Or even live in one if you had the money. Guys get this, we could be living in flouting houses in the not too distant future. Nice.

new topics

top topics

join