It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists find quantum mechanics at work in photosynthesis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Imagine that we are all quantum at the core. This is an important discovery and I am sure it is not just photosynthesis, but many of our brain and body functions are quantum in nature.

While we function as an organism, there are quantum forces at work here, maybe our thinking is a result of a quantum process?

Quantum mechanics says that a particle such as a photon or electron can be in more than 1 place or states at a time.

I wonder how this applies to humans, is our brain thinking in a quantum state somehere else and we are then doing those actions in this world?

A team of University of Toronto chemists have made a major contribution to the emerging field of quantum biology, observing quantum mechanics at work in photosynthesis in marine algae

"Our latest experiments show that normally functioning biological systems have the capacity to use quantum mechanics in order to optimize a process as essential to their survival as photosynthesis."

"We stimulated the proteins with femtosecond laser pulses to mimic the absorption of sunlight," explains Scholes. "This enabled us to monitor the subsequent processes, including the movement of energy between special molecules bound in the protein, against a stop-clock. We were astonished to find clear evidence of long-lived quantum mechanical states involved in moving the energy. Our result suggests that the energy of absorbed light resides in two places at once - a quantum superposition state, or coherence - and such a state lies at the heart of quantum mechanical theory."

SOurce: www.physorg.com...

[edit on 3-2-2010 by sunny_2008ny]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Now That's some interesting s**t!

Seems even the simplest of lifeforms operates on levels we don't entirely understand. I don't believe in creation but evolution is starting to look unfathomably complicated, especially for such a short timeline.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
EVERYTHING.... EVERYTHING is quantum in nature.

Organisms are made of molecules

molecules are made of up atoms

atoms are made of quantum particles

There are of course variables to this, and before people get all crazy talking about nanotubes or something, please recognize this is a very simple means of showing that quantum particles are constituents of matter.

The excitment of the article is, in my opinion, that we witnessed and measured this for the first time - not that it is happening.

[edit on 3-2-2010 by Thermo Klein]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
When the article states "it seems algae new about" quantum mechanics 2 billion years before humans -- that's hilarious because it brings up the whole quantum consciousness as superposition time paradox -- there's about a quadruple-entendre in there.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

S&F
This is one trippy find.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Yes, awesome article.

I seem to remember Wilcock or someone stating that our DNA width is small enough to be subject to quantum phenomena, like the observer effect. And anyone ever heard of the supposed DNA 'Phantom Effect'?

A quote I think is appropriate:

“I believe that the moment is near when by a procedure of active paranoiac thought, it will be possible to systematize confusion and contribute to the total discrediting of the world of reality.”

Mr. Salvador Dali

[edit on 3-2-2010 by beebs]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Not only do plants use quantum mechanics to transform light into a useable type of energy as food for the plant, they do it with 100% efficiency. It's a Unity conversion. Now why can't we do it ... or can we ??

Good Thread.

join