It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

gene ethics and morals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
i want an opinionated discussion on whether or not there is a consensus on using someones gene ethics for personal gain.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Ummmmm....

For those of us, who aren't quite sure what you're talking about, care to elaborate?

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
well i tried searching for a definition on the web but the closest thing i found was bioethics but the term is not concise for what i had in mind. i find gene ethics being the way in which you find yourself healthy personally; like do you think what is considered beauty to be a good definition of a persons genes and how a person may develop gene ethics based on how they act, smoke, drink, look. and if there are moral implications based on one persons gene ethics and another persons who does not value said gene ethics and uses those traits for personal gain.

[edit on 3-2-2010 by Ausar]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Ausar

we do what we do &&&&& might makes right...that may or may not b consensual? respectfully, planmike

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Cloning for reproduction has been spoken about as taboo...not fully sure why mind you, but I guess thats reasonable enough.

We as yet are not ready as a society to start enancing fetuses...not that we lack the technological means to do so, but rather its untested and the initial testing phase on humans would produce some rather nasty results until it was tweaked right.

Once the science is perfected, chances are genetic manipulation will be commonplace. Some may reject it based on principle, but that will be almost dismissed.

Good example, tests are showing that a fetus in early stage development could end up having up to an extra 25 IQ point score on average with regular high doses of iodine, and underwater births have also suggested a rise in IQ for one reason or another...this is indirect gene manipulation, but most people would do it anyhow if they knew about it..alot of apples produces men, alot of watermellons produces females (think its watermellons...might have to recheck that)...This will be similar, but with pills instead of fruits and such. Argueably the same thing.

It is our next step in evolution...it may create a divide between the mundanes v enhanced for a little while, but...well, us mundanes will die out eventually and it will no longer be a issue.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ausar
well i tried searching for a definition on the web but the closest thing i found was bioethics but the term is not concise for what i had in mind. i find gene ethics being the way in which you find yourself healthy personally; like do you think what is considered beauty to be a good definition of a persons genes and how a person may develop gene ethics based on how they act, smoke, drink, look. and if there are moral implications based on one persons gene ethics and another persons who does not value said gene ethics and uses those traits for personal gain.

Not sure if you mean like the movie "The Bad Seed", a little beautiful girl but also a psychopathic killer...

Kind of

I think I kind of understand you.

Is it like the video of Richard Dawkins "Nice guys finish First"?

I would 'believe' that the time we're in now, it's more important how you look then how you behave.

Is this what you're getting at before a go further.

-You see a pretty women, you assume see is nice because she has a pretty face.

-You see a witchlike state of a womans face and assume her to be cold and perhaps evil.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
wow, just read the second post...I have no clue what this thread is about...disregard my previous post then.

The word your seeking out is preference.

Preference is pretty simple...very natural selection type

People like young, symmetrical features, and with "birthin bodys"

Often they seek out traits of those whom influenced them as good providers in their past...alot of men tend to find women that remind them a bit of their mother, and with the women, fathers. Lately however there is a theory that actors and actresses may be playing a part in influencing attraction considering we spend such great amounts of time entertaining ourselves, argueably as much if not more time than we do with our own familys...

Its still a basic study, but instinct and natural selection play a big role in preference

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   
yea your in the ball park; but lets say a persons gene ethics dictate that they would be presented as beautiful or their gene ethics dictate that they hoard wealth, would it be wrong of me to mingle with their gene ethics to look better , would it be wrong of me to disregard their gene ethics and steal from the hoarder because based on the way they ethically cultivate their genes they are going to hoard more anyway.

in the first example of the person whose gene ethics represents beauty whose to say they aren't getting what they want just because im attracted to their beauty. and regarding the second example does a hoarder not need some shortage so that he/she can cultivate their genes in more efficient ways of hoarding; thus the theft being positive.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   

yea your in the ball park; but lets say a persons gene ethics dictate that they would be presented as beautiful or their gene ethics dictate that they hoard wealth, would it be wrong of me to mingle with their gene ethics to look better , would it be wrong of me to disregard their gene ethics and steal from the hoarder because based on the way they ethically cultivate their genes they are going to hoard more anyway.

in the first example of the person whose gene ethics represents beauty whose to say they aren't getting what they want just because im attracted to their beauty. and regarding the second example does a hoarder not need some shortage so that he/she can cultivate their genes in more efficient ways of hoarding; thus the theft being positive.

....Did you think too much today?

Trying to catch up here, so just pardon me.

would it be wrong of me to mingle with their gene ethics to look better ,

I would suppose not, if it were to better you, for right reasons (even though those reasons are the ones under question!) it wouldn't only be ok, it'd be near mandatory.

would it be wrong of me to disregard their gene ethics and steal from the hoarder because based on the way they ethically cultivate their genes they are going to hoard more anyway.

(Yes I've decided to breakdown your writing, it befuddles me in whole!)

No this wouldnt be the right option/choice because of the video I posted earlier, which I follow strictly is the basis of our civilization. (if you have time its a good watch.)

and regarding the second example does a hoarder not need some shortage so that he/she can cultivate their genes in more efficient ways of hoarding; thus the theft being positive

Well look who's making lemons into lemonade!!!!

I can see how this would be ok, but thusly that is life itself, and I honestly, can't base an opinion on this, no matter how many mental tricks I try to do, I just can't see the side of the hoarder, till I can, i'll not post an opinion.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
in a growing society with increasing ways of gene expression by means of ethics is it wrong to tailor your selection of actions with other members of society not based on morals or customs but by their expression of gene ethics.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   

in a growing society with increasing ways of gene expression by means of ethics is it wrong to tailor your selection of actions with other members of society not based on morals or customs but by their expression of gene ethics.

GDamnit!

Laymans terms please!!!

Perhaps examples, I'm trying to understand.

is it wrong to tailor your selection of actions with other members of society not based on morals or customs but by their expression of gene ethics.

I would assume it would be wrong. (assuming I understand the question)

Genes will take care of themselves, morals I believe will take more time.

If we can all become morally 'sound', genes will follow.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Ausar

I don't see the need for debate, genetic manipulation a process which once is understood offers us the potential to know how to combat foreign microbes and extend our survivability into many thousands of years if not indefinitely. I'm here to live not to die.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
so, if i dont care about death and use your desire for survival to live day to day

what if your desire to exist meant you effect your "genes" in a way that makes them more immune to the hardships you have survived; i can take some of your genes.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Ausar

Consider if genetic material is one with a soul in such it forms a unique body. The desire is to keep that body stable. Beauty may be the only way. Hoard may be the only way.

Without a soul then spiritual genes have their own rules that often disagree with souls of those that seem spiritual.

If the genetic individual has beautiful mind that creates theft among the genes of the soul then the word is only passed from genes to genes until another soul if found.

It may seems like a game of order yet there is beautiful evil in chaos.

new topics

top topics

join